BUILT
Midtown Court
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 740 Hillside Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 6
Midtown Court is a six storey office and commercial development in the 700-block of Hillside Avenue in Victori... (view full profile)
Learn more about Midtown Court on Citified.ca
Photo

[Burnside/Gorge] Midtown Court (Andrew Sheret office building) | Office | 6-storeys | Built - completed in 2014

Office Commercial

• Please log in to reply
233 replies to this topic

#41 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 10:17 AM

Aren't we also spending a billion dollars on LRT which will go right by this place?

That's the plan, but luckily for us nobody has any money, so it will never happen. Like the new Belleville Terminal that has been on the books for 20 years.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#42 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:42 PM

That's the plan, but luckily for us nobody has any money, so it will never happen. Like the new Belleville Terminal that has been on the books for 20 years.

Or sewage treatment for that matter. The recent downturn in the equities market and consumer/business confidence is going to shelve these projects for years.

#43 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 05:34 PM

In this case the only person lowering the amount of parking is going to hurt is the person that owns the building so if they think that it is okay to proceed without the stalls, I say let them.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#44 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 09:02 PM

oh man G-man, you gotta start proofreading your posts.

#45 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 02:02 PM

In this case the only person lowering the amount of parking is going to hurt is the person that owns the building so if they think that it is okay to proceed without the stalls, I say let them.

It will hurt all of the local businesses. As employees park on the streets it ties up customer parking. The City can put a 2 hour limit in place but it will take the employees about 3 days to figure out the enforcement schedules!

#46 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 05:34 PM

I don't understand why the city even allows surface parking at the front of a new development along a major street like Hillside when said development could have perfectly adequate vehicle access at the rear.

#47 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:19 AM

This proposal goes before council tomorrow night.

#48 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 03:36 PM

Here is the design by Vic Davies Architect. More details are available in the PDF here - http://gingert.net/m...740hillside.pdf

Overall I like the design. The building is set back from the street and there is parking in front, more suburban than I like to see, but I feel this is acceptable (look in the PDF for the site plan). There is retail space on either side of the building's entrance which is indicated as being a Splashes Bath & Kitchen Centre. There is also a daycare at the back of the main floor of the building. It appears as though there will be solar generators on the roof.

#49 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 04:09 PM

It's an improvement over what's there now.

#50 mikedw

mikedw
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 04:11 PM

I agree that the design is nice, but buildings in the city need come with enough parking. If anything, the minimum number of spaces required by the codes needs to climb beyond where it is now.

The new buildings in VicWest (off of Wilson) came in with too few parking spots so you have circle and circle to find a spot.

#51 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 04:39 PM

I agree that the design is nice, but buildings in the city need come with enough parking. If anything, the minimum number of spaces required by the codes needs to climb beyond where it is now.

The new buildings in VicWest (off of Wilson) came in with too few parking spots so you have circle and circle to find a spot.

I was on Wilson today looking for a parking spot. Awful. I do think however, that a lot of the cars parked on Tyee are people working in town and walking across the bridge.

#52 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:54 PM

^ Yes, you'd think if parking is so scarce there, they would increase the parking rates.

#53 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:56 PM

It's kinda sad reading the pdf. All the notes are things like "reduced size" or "removed 2 floors of office".

It's like the city is run by some evil wizard who stays alive by chopping potential building space down. Every building must feed his hunger and give up a few floors.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#54 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:55 PM

^ Yes, you'd think if parking is so scarce there, they would increase the parking rates.

On street parking on Tyee is mostly free, that's the problem.

#55 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:12 PM

It's kinda sad reading the pdf. All the notes are things like "reduced size" or "removed 2 floors of office".

Here's a 'shop of what an 8 story version could look like.

Would you guys consider that a "tower?"

#56 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:22 PM

Towering over what?

That location can't possibly be offensive in height to much.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#57 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:08 AM

I was on Wilson today looking for a parking spot. Awful. I do think however, that a lot of the cars parked on Tyee are people working in town and walking across the bridge.

That is correct. And some are individuals who work in the office buildings across from West Side Village who choose not to pay for underground parking.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#58 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:29 AM

Towering over what?

That location can't possibly be offensive in height to much.

Probably not. So, what's the optimum height for this area? Because you should lobby to get the zoning changed to that.

#59 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:31 AM

There's a high likelihood that this project was proposed with 6-storeys in mind. You don't go before Victoria's planning department with an 8-storey proposal unless you're really hoping to build 6.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#60 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:25 AM

I think the change from eight to six stories is because the third level of underground parking that was planned turned out to be too extensive to build, and so the size of the building was reduced because two levels of parking would be far too little for eight floors of office.

This is detailed in this TC article from August - http://www.timescolo...6154/story.html

IMO the height change has nothing to do with height.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users