Photo

[Esquimalt] Dockyard / Canadian Forces Base Esquimalt | U/C

• Please log in to reply
232 replies to this topic

#61 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:04 PM

I believe that todays collision happened in the area at the bottom of this photo taken about six years ago.

At the top right is the 172m supply ship Protecteur, which is high in the water as she is fairly empty. However, she is capable of carrying 400 tons of aviation fuel, 14,590 tons of fuel, and 1,250 tons of ammunition. But I don't think they would have this 47 year old single hulled tanker fully loaded while in the harbour.

http://en.wikipedia....uxiliary_vessel

Esquimalt Navy Base 2 copy.jpg

Edited by Bingo, 19 December 2017 - 09:56 AM.

#62 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:07 PM

They DND FD and EmergenCentre Personel will be moving in in about 1 Month from now. The $25 million centre has a few more details to be finished up before moving day.

Tonight there was a photo OP with some trucks parked out front as well as the popup bollards in place. The reason for them is to prevent unwanted guests from driving into the building including terrorists.

And for Historical purposes here is a photo of what stood on this location many years ago.

#63 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:26 PM

That's a pretty sweet looking fire hall.

If only we had federal dollars for a new one for Victoria...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#64 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:36 PM

No barrier at this time.

#65 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:59 PM

They are there look at the ground al of those circles are them . They are raised using hydraulics and weigh about 200lbs each

#66 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:05 PM

They are there look at the ground al of those circles are them . They are raised using hydraulics and weigh about 200lbs each

I see the circles, but I guess they only raise them at DEFCON 1.

#67 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:09 PM

Really!

"Transportation Safety Board investigator Raymond Matthew says there's been reports the fishing vessel suffered from some kind of power failure that caused the engine to surge."

http://www.cfax1070....th-HMCS-Winnipe

#68 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:24 PM

I was wrong, the Protecteur now seems to be fully loaded with fuel and is at a jetty not far from where the American trawler went out of control.

But I don't think they would have this 47 year old single hulled tanker fully loaded while in the harbour.

http://en.wikipedia.....xiliary_vessel

#69 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:01 AM

#70 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:47 AM

^The world's most fearsome drydocked submarine. God have mercy on the enemy navy that would dare tangle with this undersea Canadian predator during the .05% of the time it's operational.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#71 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,617 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:57 AM

^The world's most fearsome drydocked submarine. God have mercy on the enemy navy that would dare tangle with this undersea Canadian predator during the .05% of the time it's operational.

Don't even get me started HW. What a boondoggle. And we could have done so much better. Sigh.

#72 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:12 AM

Last year when I was in England I was watching a TV show which featured the Canadian Navy. There were five ships involved in a training exercise (and I think it was west coast). At one point, while an aerial view of the ships was being shown, the host said "this could possibly be the most formidable fighting force on the world's seas." When it came time to start the practice exercise (a decommissioned ship was being fired upon) it turned out the main gun on one of the ships wouldn't work and everything had to be put on hold for an hour as the gun was fixed.

Poor Canadian Navy :(

#73 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:26 AM

^ They only said that because they sold us a bunch of crappy overpriced submarines and they wanted us to feel good.

#74 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:38 AM

Hey now, we got those things for a fantastic deal! Pennies on the dollar we spent!

The one on the shore in the above picture is the HMCS Corner Brook, which was the one that crashed into the ocean floor.

#75 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:06 PM

You don't need submarines, all you need is an innocent looking fishing trawler like the one seen in the same photo.

#76 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:55 AM

#77 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:25 AM

More work for the dockyard!

#78 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,617 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:57 AM

Was talking to our neighbor last night who is a CPO on one of the other frigates (not the Winnipeg); he was saying that what you see on the video is not a wave but rather one of the on board water tanks on the trawler that ruptured; I gather too the damage to the Winnipeg is very extensive as the ship was moored to a concrete jetty and was literally scraped, squeezed and compressed along its entire starboard side as a result of the collision. Sounds like several months in dry dock to repair, the "invisible" damage being far more extensive than what you see with the naked eye. He compared to bending the frame on your car: it may look like you only lost a headlight and scraped the paint but underneath the news is not so good...

#79 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:02 AM

Was talking to our neighbor last night who is a CPO on one of the other frigates (not the Winnipeg); he was saying that what you see on the video is not a wave but rather one of the on board water tanks on the trawler that ruptured; I gather too the damage to the Winnipeg is very extensive as the ship was moored to a concrete jetty and was literally scraped, squeezed and compressed along its entire starboard side as a result of the collision. Sounds like several months in dry dock to repair, the "invisible" damage being far more extensive than what you see with the naked eye. He compared to bending the frame on your car: it may look like you only lost a headlight and scraped the paint but underneath the news is not so good...

Indeed, concur on both the wave and the damage. Had an opportunity to speak to a US investigator up from Virginia on the case last week.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#80 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:30 PM

Here's the video (it has swearing!). I thought the water was strange

YXVZq98cUgA

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users