Photo

Olo (formally ulla) | Victoria | 509 Fisgard St.

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#21 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:08 AM

I might check it out if they'd spend the 5 min to type or scan their menu onto their website.

I don't understand why folks are proud/worried about their Urbanspoon ratings, yet they don't bother to do just that. It takes less than 5 minutes.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#22 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:12 AM

I might check it out if they'd spend the 5 min to type or scan their menu onto their website.

Exactly. It might seem a little odd, but I like to know that a restaurant is going to have something that I'd like to eat before I go there. It's more than awkward to sit down, look at a menu, and decide to leave because they don't have anything that interests me.

Oh the age of technology! What pretentious jerks you've made of all of us!

#23 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:24 AM

With a restaurant like this one, quite often the chef is happy to put something together based on components of other plates. I noticed he had quinoa on a couple of plates, so that's a good start. Lots of peas, corn, tomatoes right now too.

The night we were there I noticed one vegetarian item on the menu, which the table next to us ordered. The server asked if they were vegetarian and the response was "no, it just looks so good".

You could probably phone them and ask what the vegetarian options are.

Matt.

#24 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:51 AM

Except most of these places don't make their own websites, or have any clue how to upload anything to them, so they have to pay someone by the hour.

#25 ulla chef

ulla chef
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:21 PM

Hello Everyone,

Thank you so much for your interest in ulla. It has been an exciting first few weeks for us!

We use as much local, organic and seasonal product as possible. This means that our menu changes very frequently. We will be posting a sample menu online very soon so you can have a good idea of our style of food. Please do keep in mind that a dish you see on the sample menu may not be exactly what we are serving the evening that you come. Each evening's menu is based on what is fresh, in season and inspiring to prepare.

Vegetarian options are always available even if they are not printed on the evening's menu. We have fed quite a few vegetarians who have left extremely happy.

As many of you have probably sussed out, our website is currently under construction but will be launched soon. The menu section will be updated frequently. If you ever have questions regarding the restaurant, the menu or any dietary concerns do not hesitate to contact us the old fashioned way - via telephone at 250-590-8795. You can also email us at info@ulla.ca.

We are really looking forward to meeting those of you who have not been down to check us out yet. We hope to see you soon!

#26 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:26 PM

Hello Everyone,

Thank you so much for your interest in ulla. It has been an exciting first few weeks for us!

We use as much local, organic and seasonal product as possible. This means that our menu changes very frequently. We will be posting a sample menu online very soon so you can have a good idea of our style of food. Please do keep in mind that a dish you see on the sample menu may not be exactly what we are serving the evening that you come. Each evening's menu is based on what is fresh, in season and inspiring to prepare.

Vegetarian options are always available even if they are not printed on the evening's menu. We have fed quite a few vegetarians who have left extremely happy.

As many of you have probably sussed out, our website is currently under construction but will be launched soon. The menu section will be updated frequently. If you ever have questions regarding the restaurant, the menu or any dietary concerns do not hesitate to contact us the old fashioned way - via telephone at 250-590-8795. You can also email us at info@ulla.ca.

We are really looking forward to meeting those of you who have not been down to check us out yet. We hope to see you soon!

Excellent, thanks for coming on here uc! Welcome to the forum!
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#27 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:04 PM

I will be going there with Ross on Saturday night. I will be posting my thoughts on Sunday

I found an interesting review at The Little Piggy

#28 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:25 PM

So we went on Saturday and it was good, very good. The 'bad notes' were better than the good food at the vast majority of restaurants in this town.

The atmosphere is in formal and relaxed.

Cost is $9-13 for the starter and $22-25 for the main.

The food is best described as modern chef inspired fresh local food.

What I found most interesting was that the plating looked it paintings on a canvas, some the the most inspired plating I have seen.

I recommend going.

#29 julienne

julienne
  • 225 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:05 AM

Ulla.
Warm octopus salad, exquisitely tender over celery, chives, watercress and new potatoes

Chopped to order beef tartar with roasted peppers and house chips for transporting the luscious mix

An ode to N.Y.'s Momofuku restaurant chicken wings, brined, smoked and then deep fried and tossed in a sake-soy-mirin sauce

Mains: panseared lingcod with an accompaniment of quinoa, spot prawns, squash, tomato and shallots was light and bright ith herbs and citrus

The big rich manly dish of the evening was lamb sirloin done sous vide,presented with peas and a pea puree, potato gnocchi, first-of-the-season chanterelles and salsa verde

Crispy chicken roll, deboned and rolled, pan-seared with housemade linguine, carrots, bacon and a lovely chicken jus to pour over everything.

Loved the room. The food is affordable, accomplished, never heavy handed, and a welcome addition to the city. I wish them great success.

#30 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:08 PM

Great pics.
Makes me want to go back now!

#31 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:56 PM

^^ OK that's it...... Those pictures look delightful. Cosmic that I was just watching Anthony Bourdain the other night while he was feasting at Momofuku.....I was thinking to myself that I would enjoy that type of fusion......then you go and dangle those chicken wings in front of me.

Cruel....yet helpful. This place is on my list.

#32 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:44 PM

I can add my voice to the rave reviews. The food was fresh and excellent. We also had the octopus for an appetizer and it was crisp, tasty and not chewy. My lamb dish was succulent, while my wife loved her rock cod. And the chocolate cake with cherries for dessert was crazy good.

This was a Tuesday night too and I was wondering if there would be a crowd. At 7:30, I didn't think so. But at 8 pm there were several parties who came in. By the time we left, Ulla's was lively and it appeared everyone was enjoying the food. Highly recommended.

#33 VicBooster

VicBooster
  • 200 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 01:41 PM

My turn!

Let's just get this out of the way. Food: excellent. Service: very good. Ambiance: good.

Now the details.

Food: we ordered 1) gnocchi/crispy chicken and 2) steak for the entres.

Both were wonderful, but they were also quite bare. While the offerings are of the highest order, there could be more on the plate considering the price. Both meals needed a little more vegetable matter.

The appetizers we ordered were the chicken wings (admittedly not served up the way I like my wings so I wasn't a fan) and mushroom/truffle balls, which were great!

The service was very good, although wait times sometimes got a tad long (not very long, but enough to make you notice). Not sure why waitresses took a little longer than expected because the restaurant was not full (65% full when we left at 8:30PM).

The ambiance was good! The clientele appeared to be well heeled, 50+ for the most part, with a few younger patrons (mid 20's, early 30's).

Total bill was $126 before tip.

#34 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 05:12 AM

Finally, a restaurant to get excited about

By Pam Grant, Times Colonist October 7, 2010

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz11g736Xig

#35 ulla chef

ulla chef
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 11:21 AM

Hi Everyone,

The ulla website (www.ulla.ca) is up and running now. You can find a sample of the menu there and you can still find one on our facebook page as well.

Please keep in mind that the menu changes frequently based on availability, seasonality and the inspirations of the chef. Items may vary from what you see on the internet.

See you soon!

#36 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 11:11 PM

Ulla breaks in at #9 on enRoute Magazine's list of the "10 Best New Restaurants of 2011" in Canada.

http://enroute.airca...nts-2011/page:3

This is Victoria for Victorians. Sure, the folks next to us are pushing back from their table at 7 p.m. (“Heading home to watch The National,” my friend says, winking.) But the buzz at Ulla is distinctly modern, urban and, frankly, young. [...]

Congratulations, Ulla! Well deserved.

#37 osmich

osmich
  • 205 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

Beautifully executed food in a cool space. I have not said "wow" after a meal in a long time. Ulla was excellent when I went a couple of weeks ago.

If you're appreciation for food is based on "portion size" then this will clearly not be the place for you and you won't get what they are doing.

Well done, Ulla.

Ps: I had

• crispy semolina polenta cubes, truffle mayo (amazing)
  • chicken; poached breast and crispy leg, tortellini, peas and carrots three ways each, chicken gravy (also amazing)

#38 osmich

osmich
  • 205 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:14 PM

The main dish I had at Ulla was the one below.

Poached chicken breast & crispy leg, creamy garlic pearl barley, peas, carrots, chicken gravy.

I did not have the dish with the tortellini as mentioned in the previous posting.

#39 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:55 PM

Ps: I had

• crispy semolina polenta cubes, truffle mayo (amazing)

My favourite thing on the menu!! :D
(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#40 dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds
  • 214 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:23 AM

Mrs Deeds and I went to Ulla and had another fantastic meal, it is becoming our go to place for any meal out without the kids. My only complaint is their communal table. A 6 or 8 person table that different groups of strangers sit down and eat together. When paying a decent price for a dinner out I don't want to be sharing the experience with random strangers. Never a good idea there but we walked in without a reservation and the options were communal table or bar. We opted for the bar and though a good experience were a bit annoyed when the communal table sat empty the whole time.(should have sat there :) )
I think 3 double tables that could be brought together for a group would be much better? Anyway, in conclusion, EAT HERE but make a reservation early!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users