New bistro seen as a gathering spot for residents and college students
By Darron Kloster, Times Colonist August 21, 2010

Their father, Lyndon Helm

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz0xGtJIlh2

#22 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 12:44 PM

I don't know why anyone would think this is anything other than a great location. The whole of Saanich East is basically devoid of anything good. There are a lot of people in that neighbourhood who have no choice but the food court or some family style dining. Not that there's anything wrong with either of those things, but a 40 or 50 seat bistro with a great patio is a solid concept.

I cycled by on the way home tonight and had a real good peek inside. They are light years away from being finished. It's nothing but a mess of tools and sawdust inside. If I didn't know what it was, I'd never guess "restaurant". Maybe Labour Day?

Matt.

For a bistro it is all about execution. If you are good then people will find you. If the food is crappy then it doesn't matter where you are.

#23 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 August 2010 - 02:17 PM

Family tradition returns to Saanich neighbourhood

New bistro seen as a gathering spot for residents and college students
By Darron Kloster, Times Colonist August 21, 2010

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz0xGtJIlh2

The writer has the correct spelling of the place right there in the picture, you'd think he'd get it right in the article :P

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#24 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 02:24 PM

The St. Michaels students might wander down.

#25 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 03:39 PM

I cycled by again on Wednesday night and it sure didn't look like it will be ready in a week. I suppose most of the work needed to be done to build the kitchen, the FOH might come together pretty quick if they hustle. It looked like a workshop, piles of lumber and tools.

I look forward to stopping in when they're open!

Matt.

#26 dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds
  • 214 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:27 AM

I don't know why anyone would think this is anything other than a great location. The whole of Saanich East is basically devoid of anything good. There are a lot of people in that neighbourhood who have no choice but the food court or some family style dining. Not that there's anything wrong with either of those things, but a 40 or 50 seat bistro with a great patio is a solid concept..

I agree there has been a lack of quality in the neighbourhood and I hope mcrae's will fill the void. The "Fresh" bistro on Cedarhill and Lang St just hasn't figured itself out yet and love Fujiya but you can't each sushi every day of the week (well maybe some weeks) Can't wait to walk the family down and try it out when it opens.

#27 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:44 AM

I agree there has been a lack of quality in the neighbourhood and I hope mcrae's will fill the void. The "Fresh" bistro on Cedarhill and Lang St just hasn't figured itself out yet and love Fujiya but you can't each sushi every day of the week (well maybe some weeks) Can't wait to walk the family down and try it out when it opens.

Welcome to the forum, dirtydeeds.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#28 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:40 AM

Rode by again tonight on the way home from work and the place is really coming along! Light fixtures are in and very sleek, the floor seems like it's done, big 2 1/2 X 2 1/2 black tiles, the bar is well on it's way, a couple banquettes around, lots of landscaping is done and the patio is nearly done.

Love the name, the signage, font, and cedar patio. Another couple of days of work, a good clean up and bring in the tables and chairs.

Some great beer on tap, small cocktail list, great beef dip, meatloaf, burger, couple kinds of wings, maybe nachos, sandwiches, fresh donuts, great local coffee and a four item fresh sheet - what else do you need this winter?

Looks like what Turner's should have ended up being. Can't wait to try it!

Matt.

#29 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:41 AM

Matt it is always refreshing to hear from someone who works for a competitor and speaks highly of others.

These folks haven't event got out of the gate yet....and you are talking them up.

Nice form....Good on ya....

#30 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:32 AM

Thanks. While I love new restaurants and seeing others succeed, I don't necessarily see mcrae's as being direct competition to myself.

On the other hand, wait till the Oak Bay Beach Hotel starts gearing up! I can see the crane from my kitchen door. ;)

Matt.

#31 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 01:39 AM

Yep, another "drive by" tonight.

I ride a well-tuned Trek XO1 about 7000km per year, so it's nice to see the folks at mcrae's have seen fit to put no less than 6 bike racks in this last week. The inside looks only a little different, maybe the ceiling fan is new, and it looks like they are building table tops, possibly the last piece of the puzzle.

Next up? A good clean and then hopefully some menu testing!

Matt.

#32 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 12:47 AM

In case you think I am some sort of nutter, mcrae's is only a block out of my way when I come home, so it's easy to cruise by and see what's happening...

... so I rode by tonight and while they don't seem to be quite done, they did seem to be having some sort of staff appreciation event complete with music, video and perhaps some beverages.

Must be getting close!

Matt.

#33 goke

goke
  • 123 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 11:12 AM

I'm in the north Shelbourne hood, can't wait for this to open!
I'm always amazed at those that get into the resto business, especially from scratch like these lads. They spent a few hundred thousand on this project!?

#34 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:43 PM

In case you think I am some sort of nutter, mcrae's is only a block out of my way when I come home, so it's easy to cruise by and see what's happening...

... so I rode by tonight and while they don't seem to be quite done, they did seem to be having some sort of staff appreciation event complete with music, video and perhaps some beverages.

Must be getting close!

Matt.

Hey Matt. I live a block away from McRae's as well and am eagerly awaiting its opening! I'm already worried I may be there multiple times a week if it's any good.

#35 dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds
  • 214 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 11:59 AM

Hey Matt. I live a block away from McRae's as well and am eagerly awaiting its opening! I'm already worried I may be there multiple times a week if it's any good.

I too am waiting for the opening, anyone talked to these guys and asked about a new rough estmate of opening?

#36 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 12:06 PM

I am eagerly waiting to see who will be the first to dine at mcrae's.

#37 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 12:23 PM

I hope they don't fall prey to the "suburban location - downtown prices" that ruin many dining experiences lately.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#38 loopyca

loopyca

NomNom

• 15 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 07:38 PM

My book club (which has become a dinner club, there are no longer any books involved!) wants to try this place out at our next meeting around the 24th but their Facebook page hasn't been updated in a while and there is no sense of imminent opening, eh?

#39 phx

phx
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 07:50 PM

I stopped by this afternoon. The note on the door said "opening next week".

#40 phx

phx
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:24 PM

They had a menu posted also:

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users