Photo

[downtown Victoria] Hoy Sun Ning Yung Building, Fan Tan Alley | Rentals | Renovation

Rental Heritage

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 CharlieFoxtrot

CharlieFoxtrot
  • 103 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:58 AM

So this got the nod the other day, yes?

Anybody know if they're going to restore those partly boarded-up windows to their original size/shape? I sure hope so.

Did nobody make a fuss about that when they were stewing about their heritage concerns?

Windows are indeed being restored. Or rather, the jambs will be restored and new wooden double-pane sash will be installed to match the original.

#22 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:41 AM

Oh goody, another opportunity to slap some cheap-ass hardieplank on 100 year old buildings in the name of preservation.

Since my townhouse is covered in "cheap-ass" hardiplank, I take a bit of an exception on this. I certainly do not think that the people who do these restorations are under any sort of obligation to use only the best possible materials. It's not like the developer has chosen to cover the building in vinyl siding or anything, they have only chosen to cover a small, hardly visible rooftop expansion in hardiplank.

When these buildings were originally constructed, were only the finest building materials available used?

#23 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:58 AM

I've already stated that I have no problems with hardieplank in the right setting (i.e. a suburban SFD). I just think it looks cheap and nasty when slapped onto a hundred year old building for the sake of being "fiscally prudent".

#24 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:35 AM

I've already stated that I have no problems with hardieplank in the right setting (i.e. a suburban SFD). I just think it looks cheap and nasty when slapped onto a hundred year old building for the sake of being "fiscally prudent".

I don't know man. There's a similar looking addition on the Churchill on Yates St that I'm staring at right now and I bet 99.9% of people have never noticed or thought it looked "nasty". From the street it can't even be seen.

#25 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:09 AM

There's a similar looking addition on the Churchill on Yates St that I'm staring at right now and I bet 99.9% of people have never noticed or thought it looked "nasty". From the street it can't even be seen.

Well I can see it when I walk past, and yeah I think it looks cheap & nasty.

#26 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:24 AM

Well I can see it when I walk past, and yeah I think it looks cheap & nasty.

Fair enough.

I'm ecstatic developers are willing to take on these projects, which are expensive and have minimal returns. A renovated building, even with a "cheap and nasty" rooftop addition, will be a massive improvement over the current dilapidated state.

#27 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:37 PM

As a homeowner who had expensive cedar siding and roofing on a house, I love hardi-plank.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#28 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:07 PM

Work has now begun on the renovation of the Hoy Sun Ning Yung building.

This photo is by Sparky

Pandorawide.jpg

construction actually started a year ago, but stalled due to lack of funds.  The non profit chinese society owns this development

#29 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:15 PM

Its actually 3 buildings they will be doing. I had an opportunity a few weeks back to tour through them and get up on the roof of them.

The Hoy Sun Ning Yung building is connected inside with the other 2 which face onto Fan Tan Alley

The picture I posted is taken from the roof of the Hoy Sun Ning Yung building  taken from the corner above where that Blue parking meter is.You can see the other 2 roofs.

Inside one of teh buildings there are hundreds of terra cotta glazed tiles stored . They are for the Gate of Harmonious Interest.

They are green though unlike the ones on the gate which are bamboos colour.

The interiors of these building are interesting. There are many hidden alleys in behind an d "inside" the buildings that have probably not seen many people walking in them at all for years.

Very old toilets and even older fullsized urinal . trees growing inside the building after having found breeches in the bricks. Ivy too.

The apartments in the Hoy Sun Ning Yung building are huge. They go from the front right through to the back of the building.

Edited by History Buff, 11 January 2014 - 10:16 PM.

• Mike K. likes this

#30 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:43 AM

These buildings are gonna look so sweet once they have a nice application of authentic 19th century hardieplank on them somewhere.

#31 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 12:23 PM

As seen from Theatre Alley.

Hoy-Sun-Ning-Yung-September-22-2014.jpg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#32 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 09:43 AM

Another perspective...

15195755327_bed4e77734_h.jpg

15359242456_536b46048c_h.jpg

#33 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 12:55 PM

These are now listed for rent starting in November.

$975 and up.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#34 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 02:08 PM

These are now listed for rent starting in November.

$975 and up.

Can you give us a link?

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#35 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:54 PM

I took a tour today.  About half (16) are already spoken for.

rf.JPG

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#36 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:56 PM

Can you give us a link?

Oh, sorry Mixed, missed this.

Ya, here you go and photos too.  > >   http://victoria.crai...5223334195.html

#37 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 07:02 PM

1475 for a one bedroom??

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#38 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 07:08 PM

1475 for a one bedroom??

Ya, they seemed to place a pretty high value on having a balcony.

#39 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 10:45 PM

I took a tour today.  About half (16) are already spoken for.

attachicon.gifrf.JPG

What did you think of the quality during your tour?

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#40 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 04:19 AM

They are ok Mixed. The are kind of minimalist not much really to go on. No appliances were in except the built in micro. Bathrooms were simple. Bedrooms all had extra wide sliding pocket doors, that I'm not a fan of. The odd suite even had cheater ensuite.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users