BUILT
The Jukebox
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1029 View Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 9
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, 1BR + den)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Jukebox is a nine-storey, mixed-use condominium residence along the 1000-block of View Street in downtown ... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Jukebox on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Jukebox | Condos; commercial | 9-storeys | Built - completed in 2019

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
978 replies to this topic

#441 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,614 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:30 PM

Whatever it looks like please God make it overshadow or at least 'de'-emphasize the prominence of that dreadful eyesore right next door on View, which I've always thought has to be one of the dullest, most visually uninspiring higher buildings in the downtown ever since it was built.

• Bingo likes this

#442 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:37 PM

Whatever it looks like please God make it overshadow or at least 'de'-emphasize the prominence of that dreadful eyesore right next door on View, which I've always thought has to be one of the dullest, most visually uninspiring higher buildings in the downtown ever since it was built.

I assume you mean this building (Tara Place)

1039.JPG

It was slightly improved when the balcony railings were replaced with glass a few years back. View Towers is still much, much worse and it seems like nothing is ever going to "de-emhpasize" it.  :(

Edited by Nparker, 11 January 2017 - 04:37 PM.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#443 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:07 PM

I assume you mean this building (Tara Place)

attachicon.gif1039.JPG

It was slightly improved when the balcony railings were replaced with glass a few years back. View Towers is still much, much worse and it seems like nothing is ever going to "de-emhpasize" it.  :(

Ah yes, the prison aesthetic.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#444 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:14 PM

Ah yes, the prison aesthetic.

paperclip

#445 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:26 PM

The crane is nearly complete.

File 2017-01-12, 2 23 24 PM.jpeg

• Nparker, 2F2R, AllseeingEye and 1 other like this

#446 2F2R

2F2R
  • 675 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:04 PM

Thats a lot of cranes, not to mention one on the Gorge and one on Jacklin ...

#447 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,614 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:47 PM

Must be close to a record for Victoria, no? And johnk I'm going to steal that descriptor for next time...the "prison aesthetic": I like it.

Funny how over the years Victoria has been so retentive and resistant to "height" yet, until only in very recent years, more often than not when they have approved anything higher than 6-8 stories its been pretty "blah" design-wise....

• johnk likes this

#448 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:51 PM

...Funny how over the years Victoria has been so retentive and resistant to "height" yet, until only in very recent years, more often than not when they have approved anything higher than 6-8 stories its been pretty "blah" design-wise....

For most of the 20th century, not only was the majority of Victoria's architecture short, it was often ugly as well.

#449 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 05:17 PM

Does anyone have the plans for this building?

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#450 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 05:31 PM

The builder has all the plans I posted a rendering here a couple days ago scroll back to find it
If it's truly the plans uou want to see which one the structural electrical plumbing fire supression or what

Edited by HB, 12 January 2017 - 05:33 PM.

#451 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:59 AM

The builder has all the plans I posted a rendering here a couple days ago scroll back to find it
If it's truly the plans uou want to see which one the structural electrical plumbing fire supression or what

I just wanted to see what was generally provided on the "Development Tracker" - usually there is one exterior, a few floor plans and a landscape plan. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#452 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:46 AM

Smartass. We want to see more than a lone blurry, outdated rendering. We want to know the current design. What is being built now!
  • Nparker likes this

#453 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:30 AM

Well i also posted that you need to be patient read my post it says the rendering and the model are being worked on now and will be available in a few weeks.

No matter how much you beg for it ......that wont make it available any quicker

A rendering was asked for and i provided the only one available to this point...ungrateful

#454 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:31 AM

Word on the street the project will be condos.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#455 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:17 PM

I wonder what will ever happen on the corner, the little parking lot.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#456 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:14 PM

Near as I can find, this is the most recent plans to go to Council.

http://vibrantvictor...roved/?p=284417

Doesn't look too different from HB's pic

1029 View Front.JPG

1029 View Back.JPG

1029 View West.JPG

1029 View East.JPG

Smartass. We want to see more than a lone blurry, outdated rendering. We want to know the current design. What is being built now!

• Rob Randall, Nparker and 2F2R like this

#457 2F2R

2F2R
  • 675 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:15 AM

It is wide ... but low. Looks like it could be two taller skinny buildings ... with a walk through.

#458 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 05:39 PM

I kind of like it actually. It will make that Street feel much more urban.
  • Nparker likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#459 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 05:39 PM

I kind of like it actually. It will make that Street feel much more urban.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#460 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 07:53 PM

Wide is OK for low infill buildings (which this is), IMO. Excessive width becomes a problem when your tall buildings are wide wide wide.

With no setbacks, this should give View St a good urban feel.

I think this project could turn one well if the exterior materials are high or even decent quality. My fear is that they'll use stucco or something for that grey top portion.
  • Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users