Photo

Joe's Seafood Bar | Victoria | 1208 Wharf (Harbour Level)

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,160 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:10 PM

I just had lunch there. Nice layout with heaters, Ragae tunes at the correct volume. Beer well priced, batter on the fish a little flaky. One halibut with onion rings $14.45
Beer $4.35 including HST. 4 customers at 12:15 PM.

The takeout fish place a few hundred meters to the south, 14 eating under the tent, 4 at the pickup counter, 35 standing in line waiting to order.

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 08:34 AM

Chocolate mint-tini, liquid candy bar, key lime pie… sorry to tease u like this but we'll be open SOON & u’ll be able to enjoy a cake-tini!

Facebook
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#23 VicBooster

VicBooster
  • 200 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:45 PM

I peaked into the kitchen window to check out the staff. Like I thought, poorly shaved 20-somethings working as chefs.

No thanks.

#24 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:38 PM

I peaked into the kitchen window to check out the staff. Like I thought, poorly shaved 20-somethings working as chefs.

No thanks.

Do they make any allusions to it being any other way?

How hard is it to deep fry some fish and chips? Grill a burger? Make a sandwich? Steam some mussels?

#25 VicBooster

VicBooster
  • 200 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 09:33 PM

Do they make any allusions to it being any other way?

Yes.

Their website says the make the finest fish n chips in town. Uh huh.

I don't know about you, but I'll put my money on the guys working in the kitchen of the Oak Bay Marina's restuaurant to serve up the finest seafood, including the staple dish itself. A close second or even a tie would be the chefs at Pescatores.

#26 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,158 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 01:36 AM

Thanks - wait'll Movember! Shave it or grow it!

Matt.

#27 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:00 PM

As of now the place is closed, rumour has it they failed food safety and health inspections because the indoor portion was never finished before the restaurant itself opened.

Website says they're re-opening in March 2011 and are just closed for the season, but both the managers there were fired according to people I know that work there.

A quick trip down the stairs at 1208 Wharf indicates that it's a permanent closure. Everything's been stripped away — logos, signage, even the heat lamps have been taken out and wires were hanging down from where the lamps were hung. Tables and seating remain though, perhaps for another venture.

Anybody heard anything differently?

#28 VicBooster

VicBooster
  • 200 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 04:47 PM

Now that was faster than expected.

#29 honeybeed

honeybeed
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:41 PM

joes has been closed for months. the inside was never finished as promised , actually very little of the place was "as promised", there never was a clear vision . i personally know several people who were screwed over before and after the place was unceremoniously shut down by the health inspector. Duncan is notorious in this town for very good reason , i am amazed anyone will still work for him . tigers don"t change their stripes no matter how much they claim to the contrary.

#30 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,729 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:03 PM

What will Duncan Morrison come up with next, I wonder?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#31 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 09:33 PM

What's interesting, though, is that their facebook page is still up and someone is still posting stuff through it (though none of it has anything to do with Joe's itself).

I agree with honeybeed that it's amazing that people can still get tricked into working for him, but you have to remember if you look at most of the staff it's attractive young women. So I'd say he's got some sort of tactic to woo them. Plus Duncan's notoriety is not as well-known among young people as it is with most of the rest of the city, so a lot of teenagers/young adults probably don't know any better when they apply there.

What's more amazing is that people continue to loan him money for his inevitable failures. I wonder what his creditors are thinking...

#32 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:34 AM

What's interesting, though, is that their facebook page is still up and someone is still posting stuff through it (though none of it has anything to do with Joe's itself).

“My favorite thing about this restaurant is actually its nearly abandoned Twitter feed with links to irrelevant news articles. I really appreciate that level of effort.”

That quote is from a sarcastic blog complaining about bad restaurant websites. That must mean the ghost Twitter/FB feed is a nationwide phenomenon.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#33 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:04 PM

Oooh, I like that site. It's sassy.

#34 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:11 PM

^It's shocking to realize how many local restaurant websites are guilty of at least one (and often many more) of those sins.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#35 Atuse

Atuse
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:26 AM

It was certainly not closed because of an electrical problem, that's crap. I work upstairs and I can tell you that they were closed last Thursday because they had just freshly varnished the patio tables and wanted them to set. (They weren't varnished by choice, though, the guy just showed up and didn't give them any advance notice.)

AH no, certainly these things do not happen without prior notice., The guy just showed up wihtout notice and varnished the tables out of the kindness of his heart, surely. The local out-of-luck individuals ought to know about this warm covered place (that looks very nice thank you very much) to get out of the rain, and hopefully others wont hesitate to destroy the place. Surely duncan fails to notice anything that doesnt directly put a dollar in his pocket?

#36 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 07:09 PM

AH no, certainly these things do not happen without prior notice., The guy just showed up wihtout notice and varnished the tables out of the kindness of his heart, surely. The local out-of-luck individuals ought to know about this warm covered place (that looks very nice thank you very much) to get out of the rain, and hopefully others wont hesitate to destroy the place. Surely duncan fails to notice anything that doesnt directly put a dollar in his pocket?

Well, obviously. That goes without saying. From what I recall there was just some miscommunication about the particular day the dude was supposed to show up to varnish the woodwork. He showed up on the wrong day at the wrong time but refused to leave without finishing the job and getting paid - good for him considering it's Duncan and we all know he just yells and screams at people until he gets his way.

#37 legendary

legendary
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:29 PM

No thanks.

where do you eat? good chance the chefs are 20 something there too. Anyone who has worked in a restaurant knows not many people can survive off the low wages and moves on by the time they are 30. Maybe if people didnt freak out beacause their meal came to $20, chefs would make real money. Unlikely, but a man can dream, a man can dream.

On another note, Joe's Seafood Bar? Great name! Are we going to see planes with "Eat at Joes!" banners?:rolleyes:

#38 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,813 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:56 PM

Most people that are 30 couldn't handle the rigours of cooking professionally and I am in my 30's before anyone gets offended.

#39 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,158 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:43 AM

I am offended! I am mid-30's and can still handle the rigours. :)

Matt.

#40 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,813 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:46 AM

Well that is good. You must be healthy. My legs couldn't handle a return to the line and my brain could not handle a four hour dinner rush.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users