Photo

The Keg | Saanich | Quadra near Mackenzie

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 01:30 AM

Wow. We had a "Celebration of Life" over the weekend for my 96 year old great uncle that passed on. After the grave side and family get together, our family went to the keg for a dinner.

It was such bad service I couldn't believe it. We arived at 5:00 (reservation) by 5:30 we ordered...at 6:00 we recieved our appetizers, then waited till 7:00 o:clock...still no dinner. I went and complained to the manager he said he would get on it and we recieved our meals 15 minutes later. Half our meals were cold, My sister got a wrong meal, (which she didn't mention as she didn't want to wait another hour) and no official apology from anyone just an excuse as to how our meals were a "bit" late.

At the end of the meal, again no apology no discount on the food. We planned to go back to my parents to socailize but leaving at 8:30 after ariving at 5:00 my brother had to leave to take his kids back home in Sidney. It was a horible experience.

The shocking thing was, that they offered no discount, coupons for a next visit, and no real heart felt apology.

None of us will ever go back!!!! Even though I am a huge steak guy.

#2 DelsterX

DelsterX
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:14 AM

Hopefully you did not leave a tip.

#3 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 08:27 AM

Ive only had bad service there. From a waiter refusing to serve me drinks, to long waits for food in an empty restaurant.

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 08:37 AM

I guess its unusual location lends itself to a less than stellar lineup of employees.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 02:36 PM

Hopefully you did not leave a tip.

It was a huge bill in the hundreds of dollars, but my Mom still left a $20 tip.

I don't think she should have at all....

I am not one to usually ever do that but this was just horrible service.

#6 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 03:29 PM

I don't like punishing servers for circumstances out of their control.

That restaurant's always been popular. I remember huge lineups there 20 years ago. They always hired the best staff. Maybe now their standards have slipped.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#7 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 06:34 PM

Being a former server myself. If food is slow it is often though not always the servers fault. With big tables you usually are only working that one table and not serving others. Servers make minimum wage and live off their tips really. By stiffing the server you in no way teach the restaurant a lesson however you do make a server have a hard time paying their rent. Talk to the manager if you have a bad time tell them you are not coming back and then leave ten percent rather than the customary fifteen.

That being said it may well have been the server's fault in this occasion, but I wanted to remind us all that serving is a hard job and that dealing with all sorts of people all the time can be trying.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#8 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 06:46 PM

Every restaurant in the world has a bad night sometimes. I may not go back to a restaurant that gives me bad service, but I'll only bad mouth a place publically if I get hit with bad service more than once....

#9 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 06:48 PM

Well said, both of you. BTW, I haven't been to a Keg in years. I haven't been eating huge slabs of beef like I used to.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#10 larrobb

larrobb
  • 120 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 08:27 PM

and let's remember (for the sake of the cooks behind the scenes out there) that quite often the food is ready on time and it's the server who's dragging her ass, hence its cold state once it hits the table. but most of the time the bleeding heart customer assumes it's the kitchen's fault, feels bad for the poor server, tips her in sympathy and in the end she makes out like a bandit and the kitchen gets blamed. happens NIGHTLY. not to say that the cooks don't drop the ball their share of times, but let's have some balance in this.

#11 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 09:11 PM

Working in the kitchen for 10 years, I have a personal vendetta against servers. If they serve my food cold, or bring me the wrong item, or are just a complete idiot, they get no tip from me.

I feel this way because in all the 10 years I slaved away in hot kitchens, after paying for cooking school, and after working for only a couple bucks over minimum wage, I never made any tips.

So I am really stingy with my tips if I get bad service. However if the service is good, I tip freely!

#12 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 09:58 PM

It came out that the server didn't put our order in till an hour after we ordered.

Also it would have made a difference if Managment stepped up, and was professional of this and offerred a gift certificate or free deserts or a discount etc......we never even got a real apology.

#13 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 10:04 PM

Over the years I have been to that Keg 3 times and I have never had good service. The last time was the very last time I will go there. I asked them a question about where my food was after an hour and got attitude in response.
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#14 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 07:03 AM

The one d/t is good. Never been to the quadra one though.

#15 Savannah

Savannah
  • 213 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 06:35 PM

Bloody expensive, though. I like a nice steak, but the Keg is never a first choice for me.

#16 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 06:38 PM

Where's a good steakhouse in these vegan times? Wasn't Hugo's a steakhouse?

#17 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 07:18 PM

but now it is asian fusion...

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#18 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 08:15 PM

Steaks: Brasserie L'école and Fire and Water (at the Marriott) come to mind. They're probably priced similarly to The Keg... but at least you're not at The Keg.

#19 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 10:27 PM

Is Fire and Water any good overall?
I'm always wary of hotel restaurants.

PS: Walter, your avatar gives me the creeps.:)

#20 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 10:48 PM

LoL!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users