Photo
- - - - -

Oak Bay Bikes in Langford? Confusing business names.

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 aastra

aastra
  • 20,755 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 02:05 PM

Kerrisdale Cameras is another one.

Fairfield Dry Cleaners used to be downtown. No more, right?

It got me thinking about local businesses that have names that have nothing to do with their location. Usually because the business has relocated or made a second branch and decided to keep the old name.

It got me to thinking about how the original Oak Bay Bikes and the old Oak Bay Toy Shop weren't in Oak Bay at all.

#22 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:23 PM

Think I was mistaken about OB Optical up on Quadra, I think its OB Tailor Shop. Hard to see when you're looking out for traffic. Maybe it was in OB once upon a time.
There's also Oak Bay Denturist on Lee Ave. and Oak Bay Pet Clinic nearby on OB Ave. And OB Bikes is a good 25m from OB!

How about Canada Dry? Was it ever made or was it invented in Canada?

aastra, I also would never refer to our neck of the woods as SW Canada though it actually is. I just find it interesting how quickly Canadians can lose sight of their own country and its true boundaries using an American term to describe where we live. When an American refers to the Pacific Northwest he really means Oregon and Wash. and the rest of N.A. doesn't matter.

#23 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:26 PM

It got me to thinking about how the original Oak Bay Bikes [wasn't] in Oak Bay at all.

Even the modern version is a few feet inside the Victoria side of the Foul Bay Rd. border.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#24 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:12 PM

I think that's fine. Ross Bay Pub. James Bay whatever. It need not be at water's edge.

Considering the top floors only afford glimpses of the Inner Harbour, the name is quite the misnomer.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#25 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:03 PM

No, no no... that's all wrong

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#26 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:04 PM

The Marriott needs to consider what their guests are going to think if "Inner Harbour" is in the name of the hotel. Are guests going to think that the hotel is right on the harbour, or directly overlooking the harbour and their room will have a view of the harbour? By the negative comments I have heard from disillusioned guests it seems that some of them do.

#27 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,029 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:10 AM

(Test of image functions, may or may not work)

This one shows why kids have no clue about directions.

We live in the Pacific North East, or the American North West.
"Who are those slashdot people? They swept over like Mongol-Tartars." - F. E. Vladimirovna

#28 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:34 AM

Or the south-west of our country not the north-west of theirs.
The horizontal axis in the last map needs to come down to Singapore or below Panama to show north-south more accurately. This woud put Panama in the Pacific north-east which just seems odd.
But its also odd that Panama is where the Pacific is east of the Atlantic!

#29 aastra

aastra
  • 20,755 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:02 PM

You guys have reminded me of another one: Southside Delivery.

#30 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:08 PM

Southside is a Vancouver company, no?

And here's another. West Shore Return-it Depot on Esquimalt at Head.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#31 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:13 PM

(Test of image functions, may or may not work)

This one shows why kids have no clue about directions.

We live in the Pacific North East, or the American North West.

I think most geographers and oceanographers would say we live adjacent to the Northeast Pacific Ocean.

#32 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:25 PM

I think most geographers and oceanographers would say we live adjacent to the Northeast Pacific Ocean.

Yes. If you told someone in Japan you lived in the Pacific northwest they would scratch their head. If you said Pac northeast or southwest Canada they would get it.

#33 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 02:15 PM

James Bay Auto Service on North Park St.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#34 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 07:09 PM

^Excellent example.

James Bay Auto Service on North Park St

That reminds me, Fran Willis used to own the North Park Galley on Wharf St.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#35 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 07:36 PM

^ That's because the original location of her gallery was in North Park. I guess the name was established enough that she took it with her to Wharf St.

Too bad the gallery is gone now...
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#36 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:41 AM

Boston Pizza....which was founded in Edmonton.
In chains by Keynes

#37 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • 177 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:25 PM

Bay Street Auto Brokers, at the corner of Goldstream and Island Hwy.

#38 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:31 PM

Hillside Printers on Nanaimo Street has a new neighbour...you guessed it...

Cedar Hill Auto.

#39 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:43 PM

I ran by Quadra Park the other day. I know, it's named after Quadra, but still, it'd confuse people if you asked them where it is. It's over by Gatsby Mansion on Belleville.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#40 Fairbanks

Fairbanks
  • 555 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:41 AM

Bay Street Auto Brokers, at the corner of Goldstream and Island Hwy.

Not any more...it's a mortgage company now.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users