Antique Row rebranded as Mosaic Village - upper Fort Street shopping district

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:43 PM

Goodbye Antique Row, hello Mosaic Village :)

MUSIC, A SIDEWALK MARKET, TASTINGS, A MINI-FASHION EVENT AND MORE LAUNCH UPPER FORT STREET’S TRANSFORMATION TO
THE MOSAIC VILLAGE SHOPPING DISTRICT FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 24 FROM 11 AM TO 7 PM.

Victoria, B.C. September 20, 2010 … With the landmark Mosaic Building anchoring the 1000 block Fort Street and the surrounding area, a progressive group of 24 merchants on upper Fort and Cook Streets are announcing the re-branding of the historic shopping district as Mosaic Village. Friday September 24 from 11 am to 7 pm rediscover a lively neighbourhood with a wide variety of locally-owned unique shops and services including some new ones opening on the weekend. Strolling musicians, a sidewalk market, tastings, free yoga classes, a mini-fashion event, leatherwork demonstrations, advice on home stylings, bakery and restaurant specials and more will brighten up your lunch hour or your shopping excursion. The excitement continues on Saturday within each individual shop.

Said Trevor Walker of Plenty 1030 Fort Street “Since the turn of the century Upper Fort Street has been a primary shopping/service destination for residents heading home from downtown. It has been called the "Original Uptown". He continued “During the 1960s and 70s design shops and 'counter culture' restaurants joined the evolving 'Antique Row'. Recently distinctive restaurants, boutiques, yoga and fitness studios have joined the mix. It still has the city's finest antique stores but now they are part of a dynamic urban village. New York has Greenwich Village, Toronto has Yorkville, Victoria meet Mosaic Village!”

The merchants have a community conscience and are using the Mosaic Village launch to fund projects in slum communities in India. Architectural firm de Hoog and Kierulf generously allowed an empty storefront next door at 977A Fort Street (formerly the Luz Gallery of Photography) to become a temporary exhibition space for Kane Ryan and his powerful collection of images from his travel in India and his work with the Dirty Wall Project Foundation which he founded to "see a need and fill it" in developing countries. Currently he is working with the Saki Naka slum community in Mumbai.

September 21 is the United Nations International Day Of Peace. Called Love and Peace, supporting the exhibition will be a selection of acclaimed photographs from the famous John Lennon andYoko Ono Bed-in photographer Gerry Deiter. The Give Peace A Chance images were first seen in Victoria in 2005 and now have been viewed by over 120,000 people in the UK and the USA. The opening community reception is Tuesday September 21 from 5 to 8 pm (everyone welcome) and the show runs 11 am to 5 pm to September 25. Admission by donation. Enter a draw for an original Kane Ryan photograph.

Christopher Gower, one of Victoria City Hall’s planners looking at the area was pleased with the initiative. “This is the perfect compliment to the overall community plan the City has been working on for the area. Self-identification of a district is a very potent catalyst to renewal.”

Mosaic Village’s new logo was designed by Lara Minja of Victoria’s Lime Design www.limedesign.com. “I love the shops and made them a part of my shopping routine before I was asked to create the look” the talented artist said .

For more information: Joan Athey, Communications Advisor 250-294-6040
Joan_athey@yahoo.ca

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:38 PM

Where is the Logo ?

Mosaic Village’s new logo was designed by Lara Minja of Victoria’s Lime Design www.limedesign.com. “I love the shops and made them a part of my shopping routine before I was asked to create the look” the talented artist said .

#3 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:29 AM

landmark Mosaic Building?
1963 landmark

#4 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:59 AM

I suppose it's a landmark because of it's distinctiveness.

The Hallmark Society considered it to be "heritage at risk" when it was being converted to residential, if I recall correctly.

edit looking back in 2019: here's a pic of the Mosaic building from Google's streetview:

Mosaic_on_Fort-Google_streetview.jpg

Edited by aastra, 11 September 2019 - 10:59 AM.

#5 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:14 AM

It is certainly unique but is it unique enough to base a neighbourhood on?

The Hollywood Neighbourhood in Portland is named after the Hollywood Theatre which I can see why it is powerful enough to be the focal point.

#6 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:04 AM

I prefer Antique Row. The shops have defined that part of Fort for years and years. Mosaic is one building.

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 11:04 AM

A sales agent at the Hudson media preview said that the City is interested in rebranding north downtown. The agent suggested calling it the "Bay district" in memory of the HSBC department store. Not a bad moniker.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 11:45 AM

A sales agent at the Hudson media preview said that the City is interested in rebranding north downtown. The agent suggested calling it the "Bay district" in memory of the HSBC department store. Not a bad moniker.

Only in Victoria would they name a district after a landmark that isn't there anymore!
Pieta VanDyke

#9 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 01:07 PM

I prefer Antique Row. The shops have defined that part of Fort for years and years. Mosaic is one building.

I can see why the non-antique merchants may not prefer it, though...

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 01:29 PM

Only in Victoria would they name a district after a landmark that isn't there anymore!

I think you meant that the building is no longer referred to as the Hudson's Bay Department Store and not that it is no longer there.

"Bay district" would be a decent name. Of course there could be plenty of others that are much more descriptive of the area and/or more fitting.

I can see why the non-antique merchants may not prefer it, though...

Yeah, it was time for a change.

Know it all.

#11 bicycles

bicycles
  • 172 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 01:41 PM

I still prefer "Rock Bay" for that area but Mosaic Village is much better then the awful Antique Row.

#12 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:21 PM

Except tourists would be looking for the ocean to find the "bay".

Why not Hudson district, it's still there and the dominant building in the area.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#13 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 09:01 PM

Long ago there was a thread on this. I think some of the suggestions were quite good.

Two that stick in my mind are No-Fi (like hi-fi) and SoBa. Or North of Fisgard or South of Bay.

#14 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 07:09 AM

Cushman & Wakefield ULC is pleased to present the opportunity to purchase a ready to occupy ground floor strata unit within The Jigsaw building at 1033 Fort Street. This unit has been extremely well maintained by the original owner/occupier and is move in ready for a retail or office use. The space is comprised of an open retail work area, back office area with a secondary back exit and a handicapped accessible washroom. The unit comes with one parking stall. 

$595,000

https://www.realtor....ctoria-downtown

878371_1.jpg

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 June 2021 - 07:09 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users