Photo

New Look Globe and Mail Paper OCT 1 2010

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:32 PM

I am going to the newsstand to check this out. Colour on every page and some glossy according to the site.

http://www.theglobea...article1735935/

#2 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:42 PM

but the content is still going to be almost exclusively Toronto based

#3 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:25 PM

It sure is Shiny, Cost me about 1.50 for the Friday at the local news stand. Today that was Starbucks...

It has local content and a fair amount of Original content. I get my breaking news from the Web so I was impressed with the articles and not a bunch of cut and paste articles from the AP.

I will try it again and now like it more than the National Post (Not just because it has Colour comics :) )

#4 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:22 PM

but the content is still going to be almost exclusively Toronto based

That's silly, sorry. It's a national paper so it's going to be weighted toward Canada's largest population centre, just like the NYT and WaPo have a lot of New York and Washington news, respectively.

The Globe has always had an extensive BC section. Brennan Clarke writes for them (he interviewed me last month), and Tom Hawthorne's columns on local history and personalities are great.

But judge for yourself. Look at this and tell me that's "exclusively Toronto based".

#5 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 02 October 2010 - 06:45 PM

I still see a lot more bias towards Toronto based stories in the Globe, sure they have a couple of BC pages and found some good people to work on it, but their coverage of BC politics and economic issues is woeful.

The reality is that the idea of a national newspaper is unworkable in Canada because majority of social, economic and political issues are provincial based and not national.

BC has no economic ties of any consequence to Ontario and we have a very different political culture.

The Globe, like Maclean's, will never succeed in representing Canada because it will always have to speak to the areas with the most people most of the time.

I would prefer to have a paper or magazine that covers BC and Washington because we are next to each other and we need to know each other better.

#6 pseudotsuga

pseudotsuga
  • 287 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 12:53 PM

I like the Globe weekend edition. The changes look good, and while content is always up and down, it seems to have been more up than down the past few years.
Of course it is Ontario centric, but the BC section can be surprisingly good...and it is far more relevant than reading the NYT.

#7 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 942 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 02:20 PM

I'm a six-day subscriber, and my vote is thumbs down. I see more white space, more fooling around with typography, more charts and bullets and graphs, more infotainment (the lifestyle sections dominate like never before), and way less actual reporting and writing, which is what I bought the paper for in the first place. Before, the Globe's mandate seemed to be: we provide great reporting, attract readers, and use their numbers to draw advertisers into the paper. Now it's the opposite: we provide a glossy vehicle principally designed for advertisers, and hope that that the decline of print readers doesn't accelerate. Unless I see more actual news, pronto, I'm cancelling.

#8 islandwritergirl

islandwritergirl
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 03:55 PM

I like the new design and the colour on every page. But I notice a lot of Canadian Press articles in their national and international pages. I find that disappointing.

#9 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:35 PM

The Globe has laid off BC-based feature reporter Tom Hawthorn. Tom's columns dealt with important issues and interesting local characters. His comment on Twitter:

After 7+ years, 600 columns, Globe has cancelled my B.C. human-interest column to save money. Disappointed.

We are disappointed, too. With the exception of FOCUS magazine and CBC, local news is a shadow of its former self, with C-FAX, Newsgroup, TC and Monday cutting staff to the bone.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#10 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:52 AM

The Globe has laid off BC-based feature reporter Tom Hawthorn. Tom's columns dealt with important issues and interesting local characters. His comment on Twitter:

We are disappointed, too. With the exception of FOCUS magazine and CBC, local news is a shadow of its former self, with C-FAX, Newsgroup, TC and Monday cutting staff to the bone.

Yet they are OK paying for and defending the plagiaristic Margaret Wente.

#11 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,236 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:58 AM

Now, the latest and greatest from the Globe.

Readers blast Globe and Mail for letting columnist peddle her cottage in ‘Home of the Week’ feature | JIMROMENESKO.COM
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#12 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:28 AM

Now, the latest and greatest from the Globe.

Readers blast Globe and Mail for letting columnist peddle her cottage in ‘Home of the Week’ feature | JIMROMENESKO.COM

I just found that and was about to post it! It is notable that Ms. McLaren is the daughter of Cecily Ross, a senior editor at some Toronto newspaper. Well, not just "some" Toronto newspaper, but - you guessed it! - the Globe & Mail!

I am finished with this rag. What a joke.

#13 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:00 PM

What's so shameless about it is that there is nothing special about this house at all. At least if there were something unique or exceptional about the place it might be forgiven.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users