Photo

Pedestrain calming hedges

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:56 PM

We have the municipalities narrowing the roads and sticking flowerbeds in the middle of them, thus reducing traffic to one lane each way. Today, while out on a walk I noticed numerous hedges hanging over the sidewalk to the extent that the intrusion onto our path forced us to go by in single file. In some cases if there is a hedge and a hydro pole forcing you need to step off the curb.

It seems that because the municipalty does not want to tell the property owner to trim the hedge, could they be expanding the traffic calming device idea to allow hedges to act as pedestrian calming devices?

There is a bylaw that says we must remove snow for the safety of passers-by, so why isn't there more enforcement for the overgrown hedges?

When is the mayor having an other open door?

#2 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 02:29 PM

This annoys me to no end.
I have a neighbour that lives behind me. She's been irate with me in the past if I let my hedge grow too high to "block" the natural light coming into her home. She has been nothing short of abusive in the past. (She has obvious emotional problems.)
And yet she has a hedge along the front yard that covers over 50% of the sidewalk. We have a lot of older people and people pushing strollers. It's narrow for even one person.
I've told her the issue repeatedly but she tells me that what I'm saying is nonsense and refuses to do anything about it.

It may seem like pettiness, but it's one of those little things that is pure selfishness. Especially when it seems like it's done on purpose.

#3 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 04:27 PM

Yeah there's lots of spots like this. This is one of those cases where I want a bylaw enforced. There must be a bylaw? keep your damn hedge off the sidewalk!!
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#4 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 04:52 PM

City of Victoria Bylaw

Where any trees, shrubs, hedges or bushes are obstructing or interfering with the use of any street contrary to sub section (2), or where any trees, shrubs, hedges or bushes become injurious to the roadbed, sidewalk or works, the Director of Parks and Recreation may give written notice to the owner or occupier on which they grow or stand to remove, cut down or trim the trees, shrubs, hedges or bushes designated in the notice within five days from the date of the notice.

#5 dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds
  • 214 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:14 PM

This annoys me to no end.
And yet she has a hedge along the front yard that covers over 50% of the sidewalk. We have a lot of older people and people pushing strollers. It's narrow for even one person.
I've told her the issue repeatedly but she tells me that what I'm saying is nonsense and refuses to do anything about it.

GumGum, a quick call to the bylaw officers fixed the exact same problem a friend of mine had. The seniors were having to drop off the sidewalk to get thier walkers around. Homeowners need to take responsibilty! 9and it sounds like she deserves it!)

#6 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:23 PM

Wasn't there a big controversy in James Bay a couple of years ago where a hedge overgrew a sidewalk and made people mad?

#7 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:50 PM

Wasn't there a big controversy in James Bay a couple of years ago where a hedge overgrew a sidewalk and made people mad?

Yes, iirc it had to do with one of the master gardeners whose property was on the James Bay garden tours. Her hedge was a prime offender...

gumgum - call bylaw enforcement. Seriously. Many hedges (yew, laurel, eg.) can be cut back right to the trunk and will regenerate nicely from there. Some don't take well to it (cypress?, the right name escapes me just now), but tough luck. Cut the damn thing back. I agree it's a real nuisance when sidewalks are blocked by these overgrowths.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users