PROPOSED
Turner Building
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 2002-2010 Richmond Road
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 6
Turner Building is a proposal to redevelop the landmark Turner Building at 2002-2010 Richmond Road and adjacen... (view full profile)
Learn more about Turner Building on Citified.ca
Photo

[Victoria - Jubilee] Turner Building redevelopment | Residential; retail | 6-storeys

• Please log in to reply
255 replies to this topic

#61 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:20 PM

Check the action on your design here, aastra: https://www.facebook...owntownvictoria

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#62 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 29 October 2013 - 04:39 AM

The new building should be a 21st-century version of the existing building. It should be a unique design that people could develop affection for and be willing to defend when the time comes (in the year 2063) to knock it down all over again.

10,000% agree. It will be cool like a PT Cruiser is cool.

#63 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:49 AM

I wonder if the real reason the Turner building deteriorated to a pile of moldy crap was the capital gains tax--that the owner couldn't afford to pay the big tax bill generated by the sale and instead opted for the easier to swallow pill of yearly property tax payments.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#64 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:19 AM

1956...in a world long ago

#65 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:53 AM

[...]
So sad to see the gaping hole left after part of the wall fell off, as that was the pink-tiled bathroom and my bedroom.

Turner’s has served the hospital community well for many years. Time to say goodbye.

Jackie Murison Crain, retired RN

http://www.timescolo...y-well-1.675606
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#66 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:29 AM

This Building on Store St is going to be torn down on Dec 1.
The building is used as Kayak Storage for Ocean River Sports as well as a cabinet making shop.
Capital Iron is goping to be building a warehouse on the dock/ parking area being their current store. This buidling needs to go to make room for the construction as well as so that the FD has better access to the back lot.

The cabinet shop is currently liquidating all of its wood working equipment and it all appears to be quality stuff. Drop by and see the guy if you need anything from nuts and bolts and wood screws to most power tools one could think of.

#67 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:20 AM

Supporters of Turner building spurred by sweet memories
Jeff Bell / Times Colonist
November 3, 2013 06:09 AM

Time is ticking on the venerable Turner building, once home to Ian’s Jubilee Coffee Shop, but supporters aren’t about to let its memories fade away.

Gareth Gaudin is part of the Save Ian’s Coffee Shop Facebook group, and has stepped up to raise money for whatever comes next for the old structure at Richmond Road and Birch Street. Gaudin, a professional cartoonist and artist, is selling limited-edition prints for $20 of a drawing he did of the building.

They are available at his store, Legends Comics & Books, a business that he said has strong ties to visiting Turner’s store — next to the coffee shop — as a five-year-old.

“In October 1978, I bought my first ever comic book there. It was Godzilla No. 17 and it completely changed my life.”

Almost from that moment, Gaudin began buying and selling comics and has never stopped, he said.

http://www.timescolo...mories-1.682854

#68 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:34 PM

All another 30 days is going to do is ensure 30 days more decay. Today's weather alone could bring even more of the structure crumbling to the ground.

http://www.timescolo...f-life-1.698052

There's compassion and then there is just lunacy; I think we know on which side the CoV council falls (once again).:whyme:

#69 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:52 AM

I missed the broadcast--did Charlotte demonstrate any actual moves to do something with the property? I think Council is being very generous here and probably wouldn't be doing this if it weren't such a high-profile, feel-good issue, for instance some slumlord's flophouse.

• Nparker likes this

#70 wisevictoria

wisevictoria
  • 119 posts
  • Location225 Dundas Street, Victoria, BC

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:18 PM

Turners listed for sale today: http://greggmahvicto...etails-35393418

$1.4 Million. 

Wise Victoria Mortgages - Offering honest & reliable mortgage advice to Victorians.

www.wisevictoria.com - 225 Dundas Street at the corner of Bay and Catherine - 250 388 9473

#71 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:40 PM

^Wait a minute! aastra's handywork was ripped off by this guy! Pic 3.

Methinks any new building should have a curved corner, zero setbacks, and commercial units from the corner all the way along the Richmond frontage.

TurnersHypothetical.jpg

#72 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:51 PM

Thanks gumgum, admins will be contacting Greg Mah tonight.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#73 phx

phx
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:51 PM

Turners listed for sale today: http://greggmahvicto...etails-35393418

$1.4 Million. 

The listing mentions:

This 2 story Building does need a lot of TLC.

I didn't think bulldozers were capable of being tender.

• Holden West likes this

#74 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:00 PM

We're on it. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#75 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:17 PM

I see you guys are already on the unauthorized borrowing.

I didn't realize there was a third property. Is that the parking lot? So the Turner Building, the old house and the parking lot constitute all three properties?

Edited by Holden West, 18 November 2013 - 08:20 PM.

#76 Brick and Mortar

Brick and Mortar
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:01 PM

I see you guys are already on the unauthorized borrowing.

I didn't realize there was a third property. Is that the parking lot? So the Turner Building, the old house and the parking lot constitute all three properties?

The three properties are: 2002 Richmond (assessed at $1.154MM); 1909 Birch Street (assessed at $362K); 1769 Pembroke Street (assessed at $329K). Total assessed values of all three lots are $1.845.

Have a look at the aerial view of the lots and you will see what an extremley awkward assembly this makes. There is no way that you could use the total allowable density (which you MAY get after a very lengthy rezoning process) to put up a single building. If assembled you would need to build at least two individual buildings. The set backs at 2002 Richmond will never allow you to build up to lot line as the current building stands (well sort fo stands). If it they were asking $1.4 for all three lots then maybe you could make sense of it. The real play here is getting ahold of these lots as well as 1911 Birch and 1761 Pembroke....I am also a little confused with the statement from the listing "This 2 story Building does need a lot of TLC". A certain demolition (as indicated necessary by enginering professionals) of the existing strcuture can not be classified as needing a lot of TLC.

I am not even going to get into the blatent misuse of aastra's rendering.

Misrepresentation anyone?

#77 Brick and Mortar

Brick and Mortar
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:04 PM

I missed the broadcast--did Charlotte demonstrate any actual moves to do something with the property? I think Council is being very generous here and probably wouldn't be doing this if it weren't such a high-profile, feel-good issue, for instance some slumlord's flophouse.

Council just wants to wash their hands and not have to be the bad guy that pulls the structure down.

#78 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:15 PM

^Yes, I think you're right.

This reminds me so much of the Vantrieght rezoning. The patriarch dies and the kids fight about the property, then only when things get dire they plead to the public and City Hall for help.

#79 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:37 PM

Council just wants to wash their hands and not have to be the bad guy that pulls the structure down.

It's a wimpy move but it's going to work in the city's favour.

Until the thing collapses. Think about that CoV.

#80 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:32 PM

Owning property next door to this iconic building has been both saddening and frustrating. CoV staff and elected officials have been hearing from us neighbors for years. The rats as big as cats have to leave. The building has to come down. There are not enough nails and glue to save this old beauty.

Sorry, that's just the way it is. It's too late.

• Bingo likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users