Photo

[Downtown Victoria] National Car Rental | 727-733 Courtney Street | Under construction

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:03 PM

This proposal is for a two storey car rental facility. It might be connected to the pending redevelopment of the Apex site (Budget and National are there now). It goes to the CoTW this Thursday AM.

#22 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:10 PM

The letter from the applicant states that the move is necessary due to the Apex development.

Here is a rendering:

CE82392A-C655-4274-86E0-C286FA9C8AB4.jpeg

#23 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,405 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:48 PM

This proposal is for a two storey car rental facility...

wtand-f.jpg

#24 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 08:06 PM

The building is fine but man oh man, what a waste. 

#25 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 08:07 PM

Who is the owner/developer? The letters are unsigned.

#26 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:41 AM

Here's a clearer rendering of the National proposal. We'll soon find out what Budget's plans are. What's interesting is National will be moving to the 727 Courtney lot which was formerly occupied by Budget.

National-Car-Rental-727-733-Courtney-Street.jpg

An artist's rendering of National Car Rental's envisioned new location for the 700-block of Courtney Street between Douglas and Blanshard streets.

Downtown car rental agencies on the move as secretive 'Apex Site' development plans crystallize

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#27 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:51 AM

Not sure I understand this proposal.  Why invest and build what appears to be a pretty fancy building when obviously in the next few years, 5 tops, that site will be redeveloped.  I get they need relocate since their existing location is disappearing, but why not just put a temp ATCO trailer with a front counter, a washroom and a few offices in the back.  They can be rented on a monthly basis for less than a few hundred a month and simply returned when they are done with them

Its hard to judge the size, but I could see 750k to $1 million in construction costs

#28 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 08:37 AM

Who is the owner/developer? The letters are unsigned.

What's interesting is National will be moving to the 727 Courtney lot which was formerly occupied by Budget.

That's why I'm curious. The lot is (was?) owned by the widow of the local Budget franchise owner. I recall her being a vocal critic of The Falls condo proposal as the larger-than-allowed massing affected the development potential of the Courtney Budget lot.

#29 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 11:28 AM

tenders out now, so I would expect to see it start in January

• Mike K. likes this

#30 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 11:50 PM

Here's an archived version of my 2010 article that began this thread:

https://web.archive....fered-for-sale/

One of the last empty lots available for development in the Downtown core has been placed on the market for $2.2 million.

Bookended by Douglas and Blanshard Streets, 727/733 Courtney Street lies nestled between The Falls condo and the Chateau Victoria hotel. It is comprised of one-and-a-half lots totaling over 10,000 square feet and is currently operated as a Robbins parking lot generating approximately $22,000 net annual profit.

The entire two lots were originally owned by the Strathcona Hotel which has retained the eastern-most portion not included in the sale. The hotel uses the land for parking and reportedly has no plans to develop or sell the land in the immediate future. The remaining two-thirds are owned by local Budget Car and Truck Rental owner Judith Scott.

Edited by Rob Randall, 12 December 2018 - 11:50 PM.

#31 m3m

m3m
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 10:11 AM

Excavation has started on this.
  • Mike K. likes this

#32 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 10:17 AM

Not sure I understand this proposal.  Why invest and build what appears to be a pretty fancy building when obviously in the next few years, 5 tops, that site will be redeveloped.  I get they need relocate since their existing location is disappearing, but why not just put a temp ATCO trailer with a front counter, a washroom and a few offices in the back.  They can be rented on a monthly basis for less than a few hundred a month and simply returned when they are done with them

Its hard to judge the size, but I could see 750k to $1 million in construction costs

why even have "car rental buildings" when apps should just let you walk up to the rental car in any old parking lot and drive it away?  isn't the the u-haul model now?  just go grab a truck 24/7?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 January 2021 - 10:20 AM.

#33 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 01:40 PM

...why not just put a temp ATCO trailer with a front counter, a washroom and a few offices in the back...

Come on, this is a car rental facility. People expect certain standards. It needs to seem legit. (insert joke here about portables at elementary schools and party tents at hospitals)

• Rob Randall likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users