8587 replies to this topic

#8101 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 56,799 posts

Posted 03 December 2023 - 01:01 PM

Self checkouts will be scrapped at Walmart, Costco, and Wegmans

https://www.msn.com/...ans/ar-AA1kQJiU

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 December 2023 - 01:02 PM.

#8102 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,106 posts

Posted 03 December 2023 - 03:17 PM

^ According to a 'food industry analyst'.

The fact is that self-checkouts at Walmart at least have cameras and AI functionality to validate that all items are scanned properly. I am sure that there is some theft but it is not as rampant as you would think.  

#8103 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,487 posts

Posted 03 December 2023 - 04:10 PM

Self checkouts will be scrapped at Walmart, Costco, and Wegmans...

The last time I was in Save-on-Foods, there were lines at each of the available cashiers while half of the self-checkouts remained unused.

#8104 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,768 posts

Posted 03 December 2023 - 07:29 PM

^so bad. Every time there is an issue and the employee has to clear it. Maybe they’re older machines but every time, lol.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8105 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 56,799 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 09:38 AM

It appears the Victoria store will be saved.

https://www.newswire...-839132092.html

Mastermind GP Inc. and Mastermind LP (the "Company" or "Mastermind Toys"), the largest independent specialty toy and children's book retailer in Canada, announced today that it has entered into an asset purchase agreement with Unity Acquisitions Inc. ("Unity"), a company owned by Canadian retail pioneers Joe MimranFrank Rocchetti and David Lui. The transaction will ensure a thriving future for Mastermind Toys. 

Under the terms of the transaction, Unity will purchase the majority of Mastermind Toys store locations and see a significant portion of employees continuing with the business. "Mastermind Toys is a beloved Canadian retailer with a loyal customer base driven by quality, curiosity and play," said Joe Mimran. "The acquisition aligns with Unity's strategy to enhance and grow extraordinary Canadian brands. We are thrilled to have the opportunity to work with the team at Mastermind Toys and take the brand and the business to the next level."

Unity Acquisitions Inc., established in 2023, is led by industry veterans Joe Mimran, Frank Rocchetti, and David Lui. Renowned for their extensive knowledge and passion for retail, product design and branding. Unity recently acquired Kit and Ace and Casca Footwear. In addition to Unity, Joe Mimran and Frank Rocchetti oversee the growth of Tilley Endurables Inc., transforming it from a venerable hat brand to a comprehensive apparel brand, available in Canada, the US, the UK, and Australia. In 2020, they introduced Rise Little Earthling, an organic line for babies and toddlers sold across Canada and the US. Joe Mimran is the founder of Joe Fresh, and has also recently collaborated with Staples Inc. to create Gry Mattr by Joe Mimran, a collection of thoughtfully designed office and travel pieces. David Lui is the CEO of Kit and Ace and has over 30 years of entrepreneurial and retail experience with global brands. He is known for his award-winning brand transformations and has a strong passion for scaling businesses.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 December 2023 - 09:38 AM.

#8106 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 08:39 AM

^so bad. Every time there is an issue and the employee has to clear it. Maybe they’re older machines but every time, lol.

I like them :)

#8107 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,768 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 09:58 AM

I like them too, but some machines are so finicky. Best ones are at Walmart.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8108 LJ

LJ
  • 13,132 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 07:52 PM

I wish they would have an express checkout at Costco, normally I just go in for half a dozen things I buy there all the time.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#8109 aastra

aastra
  • 21,257 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 07:59 PM

Suggestion: try buying twelve things instead of six things. You would only need to go there half the time instead of all the time.

#8110 LJ

LJ
  • 13,132 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 08:00 PM

Suggestion: try buying twelve things instead of six things. You would only need to go there half the time instead of all the time.

Well, I would still be OK, 15 items allowed in the express lane.

But I would miss half my hotdogs.

Edited by LJ, 05 December 2023 - 08:00 PM.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#8111 aastra

aastra
  • 21,257 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 08:04 PM

15 items allowed in the express lane.

That shouldn't be an issue. You can always go through the express lane multiple times if necessary.

#8112 aastra

aastra
  • 21,257 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 08:05 PM

But I would miss half my hotdogs.

The front half or the back half?

#8113 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,768 posts

Posted 08 December 2023 - 02:01 PM

An acquaintance tells me his 5-year lease has been presented by the landlord with a 27% cost uplift.

I wonder what we're going to see on average as leases come due.

Know it all.

#8114 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,487 posts

Posted 08 December 2023 - 04:51 PM

I spent a couple of hours downtown today (longer than I have in quite some time). The number of empty retail spaces is greater than I can ever recall in all the years I have lived here. There is no justifiable reason to insist on retail in any new construction in the core for at least a decade.

#8115 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,778 posts

Posted 08 December 2023 - 07:34 PM

What’s the word over there re: Xmas shop till you drop?

Drove past Mayfair yesterday, and although it was busy looking there were a LOT of empty parking spaces, which seemed unusual for December.

I hear the Ganges core is down quite a lot from last year, but that’s anecdotal. My own business always sees a jump in December due largely in part to folks going to Victoria to shop.

#8116 aastra

aastra
  • 21,257 posts

Posted 08 December 2023 - 07:40 PM

I was inside Mayfair during a weekday in November and I would say the mall was somewhere between busy and very busy at that particular moment.

#8117 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,778 posts

Posted 08 December 2023 - 08:20 PM

I love your “man on the street” style news reports.

#8118 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,901 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 09 December 2023 - 12:19 AM

People are cutting back. Purses and wallets are thin.
  • Matt R. likes this

#8119 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,778 posts

Posted 09 December 2023 - 12:23 AM

No doubt about that. The squeeze is on.

#8120 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,106 posts

Posted 10 December 2023 - 10:46 AM

People are cutting back. Purses and wallets are thin.

It is mixed.

I think that young people are cutting back due to rising mortgage rates and the cost of living. Retirees and net savers are having a field day as high interest rates are creating an income windfall on what has been for years been meager earnings.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users