• Please log in to reply
8312 replies to this topic

#1781 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:58 AM

There's plenty of parkades and lots nearby should people want to drive. Plus using this logic, a 'downtown' would never exist.

There's a gradual increase in downtown residents due to ever growing numbers of new downtown condominum buildings.  Perhaps eventually (50 years?) downtown's businesses will become self-sustaining and not actually need to rely on out of downtown car shoppers.

jbw

#1782 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:05 AM

There's a gradual increase in downtown residents due to ever growing numbers of new downtown condominum buildings.  Perhaps eventually (50 years?) downtown's businesses will become self-sustaining and not actually need to rely on out of downtown car shoppers.

jbw

That's not how downtowns work.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1783 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:15 AM

That's not how downtowns work.

Not at present, but it's definitely a trend in Western society, and with all the construction activity, it looks to me like Victoria is following that trend.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that some 1,000 or so new condo units are now being built each year within walking distance of downtown Victoria.  Should the trend continue, In fifty years that would be a respectable grouping of resident shoppers.

jbw

Edited by James Bay walker, 13 May 2014 - 11:17 AM.

#1784 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,684 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:22 AM

300 condo units give or take, on average, are being built each year in downtown Victoria. There are approximately 1,000 units in planning.

There are no trends of creating self-sustaining downtowns that are not meant to attract people from elsewhere. The trend is to make commercial deadzones into vibrant day and evening neighbourhoods by mixing office and commercial buildings with residential buildings, something North American cities failed to do for many decades. I can't imagine any downtown anywhere is trying to make itself self-sustaining and no longer appeal to outsiders to work in or shop in.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1785 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:03 AM

After 32 years with the company, Monk Office’s James McKenzie is stepping away from his role as president and chief executive. McKenzie will remain as an owner and continue to play a role as chairman of Monk’s advisory committee.

Mark Breslauer will join Monk as the new chief executive.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.gQdEqnm1.dpuf

Interesting and timely development. You can bet as an outsider, this new CEO will not be content with business as usual, he will want to move the company forward. 

Recent changes to Fort St. include the closure of self-service and short run press J&L Copy Centre and the closure of Staples Fort location, leaving Monk's Fort and Trounce Alley locations with a lock on the stationery/office business in the Downtown core.

In addition, office supplier Grand & Toy have closed all their retail locations across Canada after more than a century in business. They haven't had a retail presence in Victoria for a while but they have a distribution centre in the Victoria Brewery building on Government Street that will remain open. 

Tough times in this business. Online sales have hurt the brick and mortar business. What would you guess Staples was paying in rent for that huge Fort Street location? $25 a month per square foot? $30?

Will the new CEO of Monk's take a chance and take over the space, putting their ready-made and custom office furniture downstairs? Or will he play it safe and stay put? Monk's owns their Fort/Blanshard building although at only one storey it is a prime redevelopment site.

Edited by Holden West, 14 May 2014 - 07:04 AM.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#1786 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:16 AM

Interesting. I wonder if they will be making a play for this http://www.dcv.gov.bc.ca/? Although even though Staples may be shutting down stores it doesn't mean they aren't still competing in supply distribution.

And agreed on the prime redevelopment site!

As a result of Core Review, the province has decided that government will be moving to source office products through the private sector and our Distribution Centre will cease to procure, warehouse and ship office products. However, our storage and distribution warehousing operation will continue as is.

In the near future, an RFP (Request for Proposal) will be issued for a new vendor to supply the province with office products. It is anticipated that it will be late fall before we move to this new supplier for the sourcing of office products. In the interim, it's business as usual for DCV. We will continue to update as we transition towards this new model.

Management and Staff
Distribution Centre Victoria

#1787 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:35 AM

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.gQdEqnm1.dpuf

Interesting and timely development. You can bet as an outsider, this new CEO will not be content with business as usual, he will want to move the company forward. 

Recent changes to Fort St. include the closure of self-service and short run press J&L Copy Centre and the closure of Staples Fort location, leaving Monk's Fort and Trounce Alley locations with a lock on the stationery/office business in the Downtown core.

In addition, office supplier Grand & Toy have closed all their retail locations across Canada after more than a century in business. They haven't had a retail presence in Victoria for a while but they have a distribution centre in the Victoria Brewery building on Government Street that will remain open. 

Tough times in this business. Online sales have hurt the brick and mortar business. What would you guess Staples was paying in rent for that huge Fort Street location? $25 a month per square foot? $30?

Will the new CEO of Monk's take a chance and take over the space, putting their ready-made and custom office furniture downstairs? Or will he play it safe and stay put? Monk's owns their Fort/Blanshard building although at only one storey it is a prime redevelopment site.

I like Monk's but I haven't gone there in 10 years. We order everything online and it arrives at our door same day. I don't think that Monk is immune to the challenges the others faced with retail stores.

#1788 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:39 AM

^Where do you order from? Why did you choose them? I bet this new CEO will strengthen their online sales. Especially now since Staples and Grand & Toy are in a weakened state.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#1789 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,684 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:45 AM

Staples and Grand & Toy are not weakened, they realized most of their business was through online and catalog sales from repeat corporate customers.

The folks shopping for a binder and a pencil in-store don't pay your bills but they are the ones Staples was paying the big bucks to serve.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1790 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:48 AM

I believe Monks is part of a buying consortium along with other independent retailers. I see they're relaunching their online sales site: http://myclips.monk.ca

#1791 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:50 AM

I wonder what percentage of customers will/did order print jobs online, with the final product delivered.  That likely worked for the same type of jobs over and over again from some customers, but certainly Monk will be liking the additional walk-in copy traffic.  For smaller jobs, or unique jobs, many people like to proof before they print 250 menus etc.  With no walk-in location, Staples will lose this.  Of course, I'm not sure how profitable the copy business is.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1792 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:04 AM

Of course, I'm not sure how profitable the copy business is.

Tough. Some of those big colour Xerox machines that do the stapling and binding cost over $100,000 up to $360,000. Companies lease them from the manufacturer and those things get serviced more than a Lamborghini. You need a lot of volume to make a profit.

Seeing a physical proof is essential unless you're just running off posters for the church bake sale. A lot can happen between the designer's RGB computer screen and the final CMYK ink on paper image.

Edited by Holden West, 14 May 2014 - 12:32 PM.

#1793 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,684 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:18 AM

I don't think anyone doing any serious printing walks into Monks and expects high quality results. For printing that must be at a certain level of quality you go to print shops.

Know it all.

#1794 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:48 AM

^Where do you order from? Why did you choose them? I bet this new CEO will strengthen their online sales. Especially now since Staples and Grand & Toy are in a weakened state.

Staples.ca mostly. The Monk website is not nearly as easy to use.

#1795 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:38 PM

10268519_786195211400153_201089162963967

The Original Christmas Village has been closed for some weeks now, after the death of one of the owners.

#1796 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,684 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:42 PM

Ok so the death has been confirmed, hey?

We had two Christmas stores (Bard and Banker is in the space of a defunct Christmas store) and now there's only one, and it's not open during the peak tourist season which makes me wonder if it's a viable business.

Know it all.

#1797 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:52 PM

Ok so the death has been confirmed, hey?

We had two Christmas stores (Bard and Banker is in the space of a defunct Christmas store) and now there's only one, and it's not open during the peak tourist season which makes me wonder if it's a viable business.

It was a family business, and quite frankly, the way it was run it was unlikely to survive the death of that owner.

#1798 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:18 PM

^Was that the guy that always got angry at customers? The store with all the written rules? The Christmas Nazi?

#1799 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:21 PM

^Was that the guy that always got angry at customers? The store with all the written rules? The Christmas Nazi?

Yes, it was.  Strange operation.  Per square foot, that store had more "no touching!" signs than any other in the western world.

#1800 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:16 AM

I've heard so many horror stories about Christmas Village, but I have to say that the two times I went in -- and with my young children, no less -- the owner was absolutely fine and gave us candy canes.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users