Victoria Tradesmen

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#21 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 06:59 PM

For gutter/roof cleaning and window cleaning(in and out) we rely on Paul Meyer who has a 1 man company called Picture Perfect Window Cleaning. Reliable, honest, fair, highly reccommended.

Thanks LJ

That is exactly what I was looking for.

Cheers

#22 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 07:48 PM

Carpenter/GC: Darren Pine, Knotty Pine Construction
Electricians: Brett at McGinnis Electric, Dennis at Titan Electric

Anyone know a good soundproofer?

I'll second your recommendation of Darren Pine, he's a stand-up guy, and does good work. I've known him for a long time.

#23 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • 177 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:20 PM

For gutter/roof cleaning and window cleaning(in and out) we rely on Paul Meyer who has a 1 man company called Picture Perfect Window Cleaning. Reliable, honest, fair, highly reccommended.

I can absolutely second this. Mr Ginger Snap also does gutters and windows, and is very good, which makes him very busy. Otherwise I would recommend him, but he can't take any new clients right now. In any case, when a call comes in that he can't take he always refers the client to Paul.

#24 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:31 PM

^ Nice work riding the high road GS. Bless you.

#25 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:04 PM

I'll second your recommendation of Darren Pine, he's a stand-up guy, and does good work. I've known him for a long time.

How do you know Darren?

He did my kitchen renos last year and was very precice with his work. And the other thing I liked was that he was on-time every day and put in full days. None of this "it can wait till tomorrow" stuff

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#26 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:03 PM

How do you know Darren?

He did my kitchen renos last year and was very precice with his work. And the other thing I liked was that he was on-time every day and put in full days. None of this "it can wait till tomorrow" stuff

I grew up in Willis Point, same neighbourhood as Darren, he's done plenty of work for many people I knew there, and they always had good things to say about him. I was also briefly a member of the local fire department there and Darren's work ethic shined through there as well.

#27 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 09:10 PM

For cabinets look up Ray Major of RC Millwork.

#28 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:29 PM

Back when I was a contractor, I was surprised at how many guys were perfectly good sub-trades and then, suddenly... pfft! One would have his marriage fall apart, and another would rediscover liquor, and you couldn't count on them anymore.

I think Irwin Industries does gutter cleanings. They were my go-to vinyl siding guys back in the day, and we found them to be good value.

My experience with Irwin Industries for gutter repairs and cleaning and new soffits was mixed: they farmed out my job to a subcontractors, I assume because it wasn't too big. The sub did the gutters; however, when it came to getting a quote for replacing some rinky dink wood soffits with aluminum, he didn't know how to do it, nor did he bother to refer the job back to Irwin when I asked him to do so. That reflects poorly on Irwin.

#29 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:43 PM

When I had my windows replaced they also subbed it out to another crew. I kind of wanted the people who made the window to be the ones who install them, but I guess sometimes that isn't the case.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#30 davek

davek
  • 670 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:20 PM

My experience with Irwin Industries for gutter repairs and cleaning and new soffits was mixed: ...That reflects poorly on Irwin.

I'm sorry to hear they've slipped. Like I said, they did good for us way back when.

#31 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:45 PM

Could someone please PM me with a contact number for this person?

Thanks

#32 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:02 PM

Can someone PM me his contact details. Google is failing me on this.

#33 Yotes

Yotes
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:46 AM

I'm glad I came across this thread because my wife and I want to finish our basement this summer and will need the services of fairly priced electricians/plumbers.

I have a couple of questions that someone here might know.

1. Do some tradespeople (owner/operators not big companies) allow the home owner to do grunt work because I'm more than willing and actually enjoy getting down and dirty! I would learn a thing or two and can save a little.

2. Does anyone know the going rate for electrical service upgrade to 200amp? We received a quote yesterday for $3000+ which seems excessive but this is our first estimate so we don't know any better.

Anyway, any and all recommendations welcome!

Thanks!

#34 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:44 PM

Anybody recommend a good bricklayer? :)

#35 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:08 PM

1. Do some tradespeople (owner/operators not big companies) allow the home owner to do grunt work because I'm more than willing and actually enjoy getting down and dirty! I would learn a thing or two and can save a little.

I think some will, or at least on a limited basis. I worked for a company that did roofing. We didn't want the homeowner on the roof, but there was the odd time the homeowner offered to do the cleaning on the ground and we worked a deal.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#36 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:49 AM

I asked this in April, and now need to get my project started. Before I start calling people I thought I'd bump this to see if anyone can recommend a good bricklayer.

#37 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 11:35 AM

^Find out who did the brickwork at Uptown and don't use them..
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#38 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 01:40 PM

Kitchen and other cabinet work - Terry at T. Russell Millwork. A pleasure to work with, a fair price, quality workmanship and good ideas.
I know a plumber to avoid as he is a thief but will only tell the story via PM.

#39 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,674 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:52 PM

Does anyone have experience with "The Kitchen Technician"? Just got a quote from them to do some work at my place and it seemed high. I am wondering if anyone has stories to share. Thanks! :)

#40 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:05 PM

Does anyone have experience with "The Kitchen Technician"? Just got a quote from them to do some work at my place and it seemed high. I am wondering if anyone has stories to share. Thanks! :)

No first hand accounts from me, but I suspect that there's a high price on convenience. Much like bath fitter, re-face rather than replace. In and out in a day but you're looking at $3500+ for a basic acrylic tub liner and surround.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users