Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The Cosmopolitan | Rental, commercial | 5-storeys | Canceled

Rental Commercial

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#41 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 01:49 PM

Like I say, I'm not a tyrant. You can propose whatever you want in the old town. You can propose a glass sphere and I just might love it. Even 601 Herald has a glass section there, right? I'm just saying most of those points seem to be overlooked right from the get-go. When I look at the design guidelines for the historic areas of other cities I see how they tend to be specific and reflective of that historic area's prevailing forms. In Victoria it's as if we're always reinventing the wheel, as if there's already an abundance of really good modern stuff that hits all of the key points. There isn't.

#42 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 01:55 PM

Toronto seems to be getting the modern midrise right:

504 Wellington

500 Wellington

Rottman School of Business (UofT)

Cube Lofts

Ryerson School of Image Arts
[/QUOTE]

(All taken from Canadian Mid-rise - four to ten storeys thread on Skyscraperpage Forum)

#43 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 02:36 PM

Wow some of those would look awesome on any little in-fill lot here. The first one is my favourite, I LOVE the hanging greenery.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#44 Native Victorian

Native Victorian
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:35 AM

I'd say this building looks more like a mini version of The Wave than Shutters. I hope they go back to the drawing board with this one. It needs to look better beside the Yarrow Building. They clash, and not in a good way.

#45 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:23 PM

Another thing about this project is that is may be built in stages. The first stage would be to build on the site currently occupied by the one storey former Lens and Shutter building. Only the first storey would be built. Then, when the current leases are up in the Clay building, it would be demolished and construction of the rest of the project would commence.

#46 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:44 AM

I just noticed yesterday that the little lends and shutter building has already been gutted and the brick cornices removed. Surprised work is happening so fast.

#47 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 01:56 PM

I just noticed yesterday that the little lends and shutter building has already been gutted and the brick cornices removed. Surprised work is happening so fast.

I think that the old Lens and Shutter building had severe structural issues and its facade was in danger of collapsing onto the sidewalk- hence the scaffolding that had been in place for some time (to protect pedestrians passing below).

#48 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:10 AM

Your smear against the Phoenicians might just be the most offensive thing I've ever read on the internet.

And I was holding back.

#49 ryleyb

ryleyb
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:22 AM

I think that the old Lens and Shutter building had severe structural issues and its facade was in danger of collapsing onto the sidewalk- hence the scaffolding that had been in place for some time (to protect pedestrians passing below).

It has no roof now, seems that they are in demolition mode...

#50 VicBooster

VicBooster
  • 200 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:21 PM

A friend of mine in attendance at the open house for the project was shocked by councillor Madoff's behaviour as the developer spoke to the crowd.

Councillor Madoff turned away from him when he responded to statements she made about the project. He spoke at length my friend said, and she insinuated through her body language that she did not care for what he had to say.

This must be some of the most direspectful behaviour shown in a public meeting by an elected official.

Did anyone on this forum attend the meeting and see this for themselves?

#51 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:53 PM

I was at the meeting but I did not notice any particular behaviour by Pam Madoff.

I do think that the Old Town height guidelines are probably *too low*. If they had been in place since the late 1800s the Yarrow Building could *not* have been built (in its present form). :rolleyes:

#52 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:43 PM

The old building is a goner.

#53 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 02:50 PM

Methinks this project provides a great opportunity for Madoff et al. to really engage the developers and make sure that they hit many of the key points that gumgum and I were discussing a few posts back.

#54 slinkyo

slinkyo
  • 155 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 02:54 PM

Photo Credit: Davin Greenwell

#55 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,765 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 02:57 PM

Methinks this project provides a great opportunity for Madoff et al. to really engage the developers and make sure that they hit many of the key points that gumgum and I were discussing a few posts back.

A nice little Herald@Gov't street type design would work quite nicely here. Otherwise make it ultramodern. No half-assed designs PLEASE!

#56 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:00 PM

Can you imagine if there were a pathway connecting directly on to Gordon Street? That might be kinda cool.

#57 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:00 PM

What constitutes a half-assed design?

#58 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:14 PM

And what constitutes ultramodern? And is the 600-block of Fort Street in the heart of the old town really begging for something ultramodern? Please explain.

Previous efforts to inject ultramodern design into the stuffy old city didn't work out so well (the Federal Building and Centennial Square and Harbour Square, for example). How about the ultramodern TD Bank building at Fort and Douglas? Is that the sort of stuff that makes the old town a unique and interesting place?

Don't get me wrong, I like the contrast of old and new when it's done well. But sometimes I wonder if some people really want to overturn old Victoria's historic appeal. There's no end of space for ultramodern architecture in other areas of downtown Victoria and the city core and Victoria in general. So why demand it on the 600-block of Fort Street?

#59 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:40 PM

Well the TD Bank building is on the heritage registry so it must have done something right. Subdued modern as proposed or along the lines of SoMA would work here IMO.

#60 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,765 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:48 PM

... So why demand it (ultramodern) on the 600-block of Fort Street?

I am not demanding ultramodern. My only "demand" is that the design is very good. In my mind this means a classy modern design or a classy "old-school" design. I think this is a location that "demands" better than a cookie-cutter building, with average finish materials (cough - The Wave) or poor street presence (cough, cough - The Wave - again).

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users