Photo

[Johnson Street Bridge REPLACEMENT] General, technical, design and naming discussion

• Please log in to reply
7993 replies to this topic

#5721 sam

sam
  • 192 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:35 PM

Delete I was confused.

Well, no, you're not confused. I think you had made a valid point.

I went on reddit and asked the folks there that implied they had some level of engineering expertise to contact me. They didn't get in touch.

I asked in my print story for engineers and others in the community who had expertise in bridge engineering or construction to come forward. Some did, and at least one of those also contacted the City, EGBC, and other local media. He wrote a letter to the editor; it's on our website under my article and his name is there. I established that all of the experts who contacted us were in a good position to have their comments publicized. I could find their bona fides online, for example.

However, I also know that many people with engineering, construction and contract expertise who have contacted me over the last 9 years have declined to have their names attached to their concerns because of fear that their ability to work in the construction or engineering community, or do work for the City of Victoria, would be affected.

So I am willing to take the criticism of not including their names while offering their expert judgment, because I do think it might harm them if I named them.

If the reddit engineers do contact me, I would provide them the same anonymity, but judging by their other comments on reddit, they are very likely not what they imply they are.

David Broadland

Edited by sam, 11 January 2018 - 02:37 PM.

#5722 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:58 PM

That article is great. I can smell the smoke from that burn from here.

Irony is the reason we narrowly voted Helps is we were tired of Fortin's bamboozle.

As for the reddit engineers, maybe they are correct but today I read this funny story about one funny guy that sets himself up as an expert on every subject, but with a twist.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#5723 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:19 PM

I went on reddit and asked the folks there that implied they had some level of engineering expertise to contact me. They didn't get in touch.

If the reddit engineers do contact me, I would provide them the same anonymity, but judging by their other comments on reddit, they are very likely not what they imply they are.

No, no. You went on reddit without a single iota of faith that these folks might actually be engineers and made a fool of yourself.

Hollywood TK, I've corresponded with a number of engineers on this issue and, believe it or not, not a single one of them would consider appearing here on reddit to comment anonymously. You don't believe that? No, it's true! You are an amazingly communicative engineer. The vast depth of knowledge you've expressed above, especially the way in which you re-engineered those questions, is startling. You make all that boring engineerese that the other engineers I've spoken with use sound so, well, hard to understand. I really must have an interview with you. How about it Hollywood TK? Interview? I don't need to know your name so that I can check to make sure you actually are an engineer. I will believe you just because you have a reddit account. Contact me at focuspublish@shaw.ca. –David Broadland

thisguy 60, I would like to make the same offer to you as I've made above to HollywoodTK. Are you guys part of the same highly-successful engineering team? You, too, have an uncanny ability to make difficult, complex engineering considerations sound like something any 600-lb guy on a couch might say. "Engineering much more of a grey area" for example is priceless piece of engineering common sense. Totally beautiful, dude. We need a lot more of that in our community so that we can cut through all the journalistic crap and get to the truth directly from the engineers on reddit. Interview, thisguy60? I'll make you famous. Contact me at focuspublish@shaw.ca. –David Broadland

Is that how most journalists ask someone for an interview? By insulting them? But then again, you're not much of a journalist, as folks on reddit have pointed out many times over.

My favorite David Broadland quote of all time..."I'll make you famous".

There are legitimate concerns with this bridge that should be thoroughly reviewed via an audit and you're making a joke of that argument with your politically motivated hit pieces.

#5724 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,018 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:25 PM

^c'mon. I wouldn't trust credentials posted by someone on reddit anymore than I would someone here and neither would you. What I trust is that David would not make statements attributed to engineers if they were not true and that he would make an effort to verify those credentials. As he pointed out, there are likely a dozen people who would be more than happy to sue his butt off if he said something slanderous.

#5725 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:34 PM

Ya, I get that. But David sells sensationalism. That's what he is about as a journalist and it's where I have so many problems with his work.

I commend many of the questions that he has. Most of them are perfectly valid and are ones that most of us who have issues with this bridge project want answers to. But come on, he's also the kind of person that when proved wrong, goes into attack mode instead of trying to understand the reasons for his mistakes. And it diminishes the overall argument of bridge problems and makes it look like a wacko conspiracy.

At the end of the day, David is not an engineer, yet makes many statements in his article about engineering. And yet if someone else on reddit does the same thing, they're not to be believed. I really hate that Lisa Helps and I have something more in common...that we both don't trust David Broadland.

Edited by shoeflack, 11 January 2018 - 03:35 PM.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#5726 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:39 PM

Has Broadland made serious errors or do you just dislike his style?

#5727 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,018 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:41 PM

What would make David look like a whacko is the City releasing the documents that David requested and then having those documents refute the points that he has made.

The City wants to eat its own cake. It was to maintain secrecy but then not have anyone believe anything that they are told by 3rd parties. 

Doesn't work that way.

#5728 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:57 PM

What would make David look like a whacko is the City releasing the documents that David requested and then having those documents refute the points that he has made.

The City wants to eat its own cake. It was to maintain secrecy but then not have anyone believe anything that they are told by 3rd parties. 

Doesn't work that way.

If we didn't question our politicians with some investigative journalism we would be loosing the freedom of the press somewhat.

What if faulty steel work had never been discovered, or the welds properly checked?

If you think city politics are getting us into a mess now, think of what the alternatives might be.

• jonny and A Girl is No one like this

#5729 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:03 PM

At the end of the day, David is not an engineer, yet makes many statements in his article about engineering. And yet if someone else on reddit does the same thing, they're not to be believed. I really hate that Lisa Helps and I have something more in common...that we both don't trust David Broadland.

I agree with shoeflack. I am dismayed at the lack of clarity on this and many other projects the city undertakes, and I am also dismayed at the lack of integrity of the press and David makes sweeping assumptions to support his position without much to base it on besides the fact we are all in the dark on some of these matters. 

• shoeflack likes this
Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#5730 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:14 PM

Well FFS then, the City should release the report. What possible reason is there to not let us see it?

Hugget is the highest paid City contractor. Show is the damn document.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 11 January 2018 - 05:15 PM.

• Rob Randall, Nparker, jonny and 1 other like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5731 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:35 PM

Spent a day in Pompano Beach Florida after a cruise last week. There are many bridges over the intracoastal waterway. The bridge noted in the link below opens and closes every 30 minutes for 5 minutes to allow for the myriad of boat traffic here. Keep in mind these bridges are located less than a few hundred metres from the coastline and are directly exposed to the ocean and hurricanes so they are built strong. 

https://www.google.c...!7i13312!8i6656

look at the width of the crossing, its approx 50-60 metres.....Twice an hour x 24 hours a day every day....I bet it didnt cost $100million for these!!!

Edited by rjag, 11 January 2018 - 05:37 PM.

• Nparker and jonny like this

#5732 sam

sam
  • 192 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:25 PM

Ya, I get that. But David sells sensationalism. That's what he is about as a journalist and it's where I have so many problems with his work.

I commend many of the questions that he has. Most of them are perfectly valid and are ones that most of us who have issues with this bridge project want answers to. But come on, he's also the kind of person that when proved wrong, goes into attack mode instead of trying to understand the reasons for his mistakes. And it diminishes the overall argument of bridge problems and makes it look like a wacko conspiracy.

I had to go and look at the definition of "sensationalism."

From google:

"(especially in journalism) the use of exciting or shocking stories or language at the expense of accuracy, in order to provoke public interest or excitement."

Exciting? Shocking? Really? Which part of either story 1 or story 2 is either "exciting" or "shocking"?

Lots of people I know tell me the stories on the bridge are "mind-numbingly detailed." And they don't mean that as a compliment.

I am not an engineer, that's true. But I do have a lot of design and construction experience (for a journalist). That experience is all that drives my interest in the bridge project. I am a careful, detail-oriented kind of builder and I can tell the difference between something that is built with care and something that has had a lot of money thrown at it that didn't stick.

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate your critique. If just seems a little over-stated.

By the way, any commenters here that would like to reach 30,000 readers with their critiques are welcome to send letters to Focus. Please include your name and a phone number because we will need to confirm your identity.

David Broadland

• spanky123 and A Girl is No one like this

#5733 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,752 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:28 PM

Why is the city refusing to release the report?

That’s the question we should be asking, not whether David is or is not qualified to pen the articles he did.

Our priorities are backwards if attacking a journalist takes precedence over demanding the city let us see the reports we paid for.
  • North Shore, Bingo and A Girl is No one like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5734 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:58 PM

Why is the city refusing to release the report?

That’s the question we should be asking, not whether David is or is not qualified to pen the articles he did.

Our priorities are backwards if attacking a journalist takes precedence over demanding the city let us see the reports we paid for.

And why is this story not on the other media sources. I think people are becoming more complacent and not willing to debate or investigate the world around them.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#5735 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,815 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:45 PM

The City is playing Trump here. Criticise the media without actually providing the beef. If Focus is wrong then awesome. Show us the beef! It is that he is not 100% wrong. The part where the email goes to David before it had been fully vetted is pretty amazingly awesome. The city must have like a 1920's comm shop. Is stuff really going from the mayor's email address to media? I think we may need to call in the Auditor General on this one as the City is not going to be straight with us. 

• rjag and Matt R. like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#5736 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:01 AM

And why is this story not on the other media sources. I think people are becoming more complacent and not willing to debate or investigate the world around them.

CHEK ran a story. The other media make lots of money off of CoV advertising.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 12 January 2018 - 07:01 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5737 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:42 AM

I think it would be prudent to back off the personal comments about Broadland.

He's an investigative journalist, doing an investigative report on the JSB project.

It's all too "Trumpian" to damn the investigative journalist for daring to investigate in the first place ... the implication being that folks should just sit back and take whatever gets shoved their way ... and not ask any questions about it.

If you don't like Broadland personally, or don't like his writing style, or don't agree with the concept of investigative journalism at all ... fine, don't follow the story - but I'm personally interested (as are many more) in what form the response from the City takes in their efforts (or not) to answer these questions that have been highlighted by Broadland in his original article, and some of the follow-up work he's done since.

And as is terribly obvious - if Broadland hadn't brought forward the questions in his original article to begin with, the COV would be under no obligation to answer them ... something the COV would likely wish to be the scenario currently.

But in Canada, in 2018 ... let's let the investigative journalist do his job.

• Nparker, Bingo, tedward and 2 others like this

#5738 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:59 AM

In 2016 the CoV paid the TC $192,661.45

2015 $109,678.20

2014 $107,287.15

In 2013 the CoV paid the TC $107,068.72

So while the TC circulation has decreased by nearly 25% since 2013, the City has increased spending with them by nearly 100%.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 12 January 2018 - 08:06 AM.

#5739 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:00 AM

I think it would be prudent to back off the personal comments about Broadland.

He's an investigative journalist, doing an investigative report on the JSB project.

It's all too "Trumpian" to damn the investigative journalist for daring to investigate in the first place ... the implication being that folks should just sit back and take whatever gets shoved their way ... and not ask any questions about it.

If you don't like Broadland personally, or don't like his writing style, or don't agree with the concept of investigative journalism at all ... fine, don't follow the story - but I'm personally interested (as are many more) in what form the response from the City takes in their efforts (or not) to answer these questions that have been highlighted by Broadland in his original article, and some of the follow-up work he's done since.

And as is terribly obvious - if Broadland hadn't brought forward the questions in his original article to begin with, the COV would be under no obligation to answer them ... something the COV would likely wish to be the scenario currently.

But in Canada, in 2018 ... let's let the investigative journalist do his job.

I agree. The recent Focus story wouldn't have been such a big deal if it hadn't already been preceded by previous stories of faulty steel and poor welds.

We all have a right to be suspicious of this project, and if there is something that can be fixed get it done now.

What's another few months at this stage of the game when safety could be an issue.

Edited by Bingo, 12 January 2018 - 09:37 AM.

#5740 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,018 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:20 AM

True and the owners of the TC want to redevelop their property as well.

I think that it is more likely though that the various media organizations asked the City for comment and got exactly the same response that Helps gave on facebook. Focus has an axe to grind and there is no merit to the claims. Without any independent confirmation (and no investigative resources to seek it out), they didn't have a story.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users