Photo

[Johnson Street Bridge REPLACEMENT] General, technical, design and naming discussion

• Please log in to reply
7993 replies to this topic

#1401 Makita

Makita
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:39 AM

Tolling both bridges would be the only viable solution :)

Ok thought it was about time to start chiming in after reading for so many years...silently.

After tolling both bridges, do you propose toll booths on Douglas and Blanshard for people that will inevitably bypass the bridges.

#1402 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,813 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:46 AM

Welcome to the Board! I don't think toll booths are necessary with a camera system and again it is not really the CoV's problem if people coming in from Langford are waiting in traffic. If they have an issue they can raise it with their mayor to say that they should have paid for part of the bridge.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#1403 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,688 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:09 AM

The lack of provincial funding is a real shame. The feds threw in $21 million because its their own regulations that require this bridge being a draw bridge and the money no doubt accounts for much of the expense to build that one function (or not, as we might soon find out).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1404 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:03 AM

Maybe something like a $50 million bridge that could actually be built and that would actually work? Interesting idea.

Do you mean it is not to late to refurbish what's left of the present Johnson Street Bridge, after all there is now only one span instead of two to maintain, with a design that is proven.  :)

#1405 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:49 AM

Do you mean it is not to late to refurbish what's left of the present Johnson Street Bridge, after all there is now only one span instead of two to maintain, with a design that is proven.  :)

Way too obvious and could easily cost say, $5 million.

And the City would actually have to go back to maintenance / painting chores of our old bridge so the annual operating costs would be a bit higher then that of a brand spanking new state of the art untested design that should at least in theory cost nothing to maintain, for a decade or so).

And, it does not address the boogie-man threat of an earthquake sometime in the coming 500-years.

jbw

#1406 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:53 AM

I just listened to the last half of the JSB update this morning at council, nobody yet has info on the change order.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1407 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:13 PM

Way too obvious and could easily cost say, $5 million.

And the City would actually have to go back to maintenance / painting chores of our old bridge so the annual operating costs would be a bit higher then that of a brand spanking new state of the art untested design that should at least in theory cost nothing to maintain, for a decade or so).

And, it does not address the boogie-man threat of an earthquake sometime in the coming 500-years.

jbw

The boogie-man might already be here, re-designing the new bridge.

#1408 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:38 PM

The lack of provincial funding is a real shame. The feds threw in $21 million because its their own regulations that require this bridge being a draw bridge and the money no doubt accounts for much of the expense to build that one function (or not, as we might soon find out).

Interesting, then Victoria should have said a normal non draw bridge would cost $10 million, so Mr Feds if you want a draw bridge, you cover the difference.  If the feds didn't want to contribute the $90 million, then in goes a normal bridge with 10 ft clearance.

I see the reason not to install a rail bridge, only to have the train get 500 ft onto the other side.  Why do we need a draw bridge then?  there is a hobby ship yard, a scrap steel yard with barge service and a gravel yard with barge service?  anything else?  Seems like an expensive $90 million option to keep 3 small businesses in operation

• James Bay walker likes this

#1409 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:52 AM

Hobby shipyard, 3 small business operations???  I don't think so.

#1410 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:03 AM

Lisa Helps on CBC now:

http://www.cbc.ca/li...ramKey=victoria

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#1411 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:21 AM

Helps:

-design only 60% complete when contract awarded

-cost might fall to MMM as it's a design decision

-subcontractor Hardesty & Hannover more confident design will work

-82% confident bridge will come in on budget, more hard work to do on that

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#1412 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:59 AM

Of course its a hobby shipyard, it can't fix vessels of any size.  I don't see panamax freighters or even the super ferries in for repair.  All I see are small navy boats, the tiny BC Ferries and the occasional fishboat

the gravel yard and scrap steel yard might be owned by large international companies, but I doubt they employ more than 50 people combined.  If they aren't small businesses as you say then they should each be able to contribute millions towards the new bridge since they need it to open

#1413 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:19 AM

I'm sure MMM can not withstand a $8M hit.  If it does fall on them, you can bet the report they are preparing this weekend won't say that.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1414 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,688 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:24 AM

Helps:
-82% confident bridge will come in on budget, more hard work to do on that

And we're barely one year into actual construction.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1415 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:27 AM

In yesterday's report, two "construction" categories were moved from medium risk to high risk.  It's a little unclear to understand what the risk is, reading it with my amateur knowledge.

#1416 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,236 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:25 AM

I want to be sure that the engineers don't kill what the architect is trying to portray. I'm hoping they will work out the costs, but not by dumbing down Sebastian Ricard's design for the bridge. 

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#1417 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:08 AM

I want to be sure that the engineers don't kill what the architect is trying to portray. I'm hoping they will work out the costs, but not by dumbing down Sebastian Ricard's design for the bridge. 

Perhaps the architect should have spent a little bit more time with his own engineers before proceeding. Better yet, the City should not have accepted this novel design without a great deal more scrutiny.

• jklymak likes this

#1418 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,128 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:42 AM

Johnson-Steet-Bridge-Delta-ped-detour-an

http://www.johnsonst...side-of-bridge/

#1419 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:28 PM

I'm sure MMM can not withstand a $8M hit.  If it does fall on them, you can bet the report they are preparing this weekend won't say that.

Architects and/or engineers are not liable for project cost overruns, change orders or even things they simply forgot in their design

#1420 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:05 AM

You couldn't see this coming? It was pretty clear that the design was unfounded and would need to be dumbed down. As I said a few yeas ago, they'll dumb it down, slap a totem pole on it and call it a day.
  • gumgum likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users