#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:18 AM

http://www.tourdevictoria.com/

It goes on May 28, 2011

Registration starts today at 12noon.

It's kind of hard to believe we have not had anything like this until now. The 140km race is apparently similar to the shortest Tour De France day.

http://www.tourdevic.../140km_full.jpg

140km Circuit
EARLY BIRD REGISTRATION FEE: $150 +HST

4 to 7 hours
You should be able to ride at an average speed of 25km/hr pace for the whole distance.
This is for the fit cyclist who is up for the challenge or a mid level wanting to train and take it up a notch
4-5 feed zones. We will be encouraging riders to stop at these, in order to refuel and re hydrate. This will ensure all riders complete the full distance enjoyably!
Broom wagon service*

Wow, if they sell this out they make $225,000 just in entry fees.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 08:18 AM

Coming up very soon.

They are looking for 300 volunteers.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 pseudotsuga

pseudotsuga
  • 287 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:21 AM

Just to clarify, it is not a race - it is a "supported mass participation cycling event, catering to all ages and fitness levels by offering three distances: 140km for the enthusiast, 90km for the entry-level rider and an up to 1.5 hour Community Ride for beginners, families, and for those who want to experience cycling for the first time"

Should be fun.

It is also part of the larger Victoria Cycling Festival: http://vicf.ca
Other events downtown include the annual Bastion Square Crit, and the new Jump Ship event - a mountain bike jump comp "on a big f'ing barge in the middle of the harbour" : http://www.pinkbike.com/video/196135/

#4 pseudotsuga

pseudotsuga
  • 287 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:42 PM

Event is coming up quick - start is Saturday at 7am on Bellville. I believe there will be about 1100 participants. Road closure info is now up here

hopefully the roads will be dry!

#5 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:21 AM

I looked at both the TC and CFAX for road closure information, didn't find any.

I wonder which genius thought it would be a good idea to put a bike race on Dallas Road on the same day as the Swiftsure.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:59 AM

I looked at both the TC and CFAX for road closure information, didn't find any.

I wonder which genius thought it would be a good idea to put a bike race on Dallas Road on the same day as the Swiftsure.

I think the Swiftsure boats were well gone by the time the tour rolled in. Or the other way around. Bikes started at 7am, and it is an over-4-hour run for the fastest. Swiftsure started at 10am.

In any event, it might not be a race, but Ryder is winning (leading?). Trevor Linden is in 57th place at the half way mark.

#7 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 May 2011 - 11:08 AM

I think the Swiftsure boats were well gone by the time the tour rolled in. Or the other way around. Bikes started at 7am, and it is an over-4-hour run for the fastest. Swiftsure started at 10am.

I was drinking coffee watching the race tracker at 10:15 this morning, checking the Dallas Road web cam, the boats hadn't moved very far at all so I thought I'd drive down and take a look. Dallas was all blocked off, cars all over the place making U-turns not knowing what was going on.

Looks like most of the boats are still only near Beacon Hill Park.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#8 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 08:43 PM

The traffic control for this event was very poor. If you were in James Bay today and were trying to get out by car there was nothing to indicate that you had to go all the way to Ross Bay to access the rest of the city. Many cars were trying the streets between James Bay and Ross Bay and kept coming to dead ends.

WTF!!??

#9 pseudotsuga

pseudotsuga
  • 287 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 09:33 PM

I think the Swiftsure boats were well gone by the time the tour rolled in. Or the other way around.

There were lots of boats off Dallas as the riders were coming through. Pretty cool - I'd never happened to ride the waterfront on Swiftsure morning. Makes sense to me mixing the events, showcasing Victoria's attractions. Swiftsure watchers can park a block or two away and walk to the beach to see the boats - and also check out the bike riders.

Traffic control was excellent from the riders point of view. That said, I bet driving to catch the Coho would have been tricky, especially for someone out of town.

#10 pseudotsuga

pseudotsuga
  • 287 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 09:47 PM

As for an event report, I'm sure you can find that on the TC tomorrow, but I'll weigh in and say that it was very impressive for a first year event. Most of the rider feedback I caught was positive. Great to have a mass participation event in town that doesn't involve running!

#11 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 09:48 PM

...I bet driving to catch the Coho would have been tricky, especially for someone out of town.

I happened to be near the Coho dock around 3:00 PM, while Belleville was still closed off in front of the Legislature...I can assure you that the cars with Washington plates were most definitely confused. :(

#12 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:39 PM

Considering that Ryder Hesjedal has been in a couple of crashes early in this years Tour de France, he has worked his way up to 28th in the overall standings. He could have won todays stage but hung back at the finish to let Garmin teammate Thor Hushovd win, and finished 2 seconds back to take third.

We could see Hesjedal win a stage now that the Tour is going into the Alps.

#13 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:47 AM

Hesjedal finishes 10th in todays stage, at the highest altitude of the tour.

#14 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 07:13 AM

Ryder is leading the race up the Alpe D'Huez with 12 KM to go.

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 07:21 AM

Down to the wire here!

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 07:31 AM

You can follow the position of racers live at http://www.letour.fr/us/index.html

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#17 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 07:44 AM

You can follow the position of racers live at http://www.letour.fr/us/index.html

Or on Shaw Chan 220

#18 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 07:53 AM

wow!

#19 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 07:57 AM

Ryder in 10th at 1:15 behind the winner, and has moved up to 17th overall. His Garmin-Cervelo team is in the lead by almost 12 minutes. The tour winner will be decided at the time trial tommorrow, in what is very close competition.

#20 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 04:16 PM

So now this is about the Tour de France??
Pieta VanDyke

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users