Photo

US visitors love diversity downtown

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 12:03 PM

I saw a concert by the English folk/rockers The Waterboys last night at the UVic auditorium. In between songs leader Mike Scott said this was the veteran band's first visit to Victoria and he lamented that we had no "freak street". He had just come up from San Francisco, "the capital of freak streets". He did say he liked Vintage Funk on Johnson Street. But no, Victoria may be just a little too put together for some tastes.

#22 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 12:14 PM

Some days, Pandora qualifies ... but perhaps not the kind of freak he's thinking about.

• Nparker likes this

#23 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 12:25 PM

try Johnson and douglas any given afternoon. I have access to a second storey window overlooking that junction and on a weekend you can probably witness most of the drug deals going on in the downtown core, and see just what happens after you consume said drugs. not too sure if that is what he means by freak street though

Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#24 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 12:34 PM

I think he meant a part of town that's run down but good to visit. A place you can be weird and no one will hassle you about it. Probably some grungy thrift stores and good ethnic food, too. Vancouver's DES might be a little too freaky in places.

#25 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 12:39 PM

SF has plenty of those. They're also the places you can get stabbed.

#26 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 12:40 PM

Man it's weird reading posts I wrote almost 10 yrs ago.
  • Mike K. likes this

#27 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 01:24 PM

they would probably have to stick to big bad johns here then

Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#28 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 03:13 PM

A place you can be weird and no one will hassle you about it.

Like how Granville Street used to be from the bridge up to Robson? A real mishmash of businesses and a seedy edge to much of it, but still a busy and decently successful strip. The mishmash and the seediness are gone now.

#29 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 03:27 PM

I saw a concert by the English folk/rockers The Waterboys last night at the UVic auditorium. In between songs leader Mike Scott said this was the veteran band's first visit to Victoria and he lamented that we had no "freak street". He had just come up from San Francisco, "the capital of freak streets". He did say he liked Vintage Funk on Johnson Street. But no, Victoria may be just a little too put together for some tastes.

How was the concert?

#30 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 04:15 PM

Like how Granville Street used to be from the bridge up to Robson? A real mishmash of businesses and a seedy edge to much of it, but still a busy and decently successful strip. The mishmash and the seediness are gone now.

Perfect example.

How was the concert?

Fantastic--very good performances by the whole band. 

• Jill likes this

#31 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:19 PM

Granville has improved but is still a bit seedy.
  • Nparker likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users