Photo

Office space and office building development in Greater Victoria/south Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
545 replies to this topic

#461 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 10 April 2023 - 07:52 AM

... I love working in the office. One of the best parts of my job.

As I discovered, it was one of the few parts of my job I actually liked.

#462 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 10 April 2023 - 07:54 AM

As I discovered, it was one of the few parts of my job I actually liked.

How many years did you do a job you did not enjoy?  That seems crazy.

#463 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 10 April 2023 - 07:59 AM

The social aspect of my job was the best part. The rest was just stuff that had to get done.

#464 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 25 April 2023 - 03:35 PM

$1,400,000

606 Yates Street

https://www.realtor....ctoria-downtown

929883_1.jpg

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 April 2023 - 03:35 PM.

#465 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,604 posts

Posted 25 April 2023 - 07:09 PM

In my "office" experience I'd say at best 20% of the staff liked the social aspects of it.

Yup and that is the very high end %-wise based on conversations I've had with folks in our environment and various other firms in the d/t area.

In our case its definitely closer to about 5%, "tops". When office restrictions were lifted some months back one of my team opted to walk to the office to work 2x/week. He reports on average aside from himself there is one other person on a floor configured for about 60 warm bodies, and "maybe" on all floors top to bottom at Yates St, a dozen or so people in the entire building.

My wife works for a very large global Japanese tech firm a few blocks over, also a five floor building with about the same number of staff. She figures likewise - a dozen and certainly no more than 20 people in an office designed for about 250 people.

I understand for a select number of people the social aspect of being in an office is desirable maybe even a prerequisite but for me and a majority of people I talk to I'll always take WFH if offered - more sleep, less wear and tear on the vehicle (or gas!), or instead of the hassle of riding crowded buses I'm making tea and toast watching local news while booting my computer, not to mention the opportunity to use breaks and lunches for general household cleanup, dinner prep (a biggie for me since I'm the primary chef), getting a start on odd jobs around the yard or house...."whatever". 

#466 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 25 April 2023 - 07:23 PM

I understand for a select number of people the social aspect of being in an office is desirable maybe even a prerequisite but for me and a majority of people I talk to I'll always take WFH if offered - more sleep, less wear and tear on the vehicle (or gas!), or instead of the hassle of riding crowded buses I'm making tea and toast watching local news while booting my computer, not to mention the opportunity to use breaks and lunches for general household cleanup, dinner prep (a biggie for me since I'm the primary chef), getting a start on odd jobs around the yard or house...."whatever". 

A WFHer I'm very close to uses the opportunity to get an extra day or two at their weekend home every week.  And yes, by driving on their workday.

Instead of formerly leaving Friday afternoon and back late Sunday night, they leave Thursday and come back Monday.   :teacher:

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 April 2023 - 07:26 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#467 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 25 April 2023 - 07:26 PM

That sounds about right. 

• Victoria Watcher likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#468 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 25 April 2023 - 10:11 PM

Which makes lots of sense if you’re going to work the Friday from the cottage. Why the heck not.

#469 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 26 April 2023 - 08:27 AM

A WFHer I'm very close to uses the opportunity to get an extra day or two at their weekend home every week.  And yes, by driving on their workday.

Instead of formerly leaving Friday afternoon and back late Sunday night, they leave Thursday and come back Monday.   :teacher:

Heck at least they are still doing some work for their employer! Lots of people have taken a second job at the expense of the first or have simple cut their work week back. 

#470 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 26 April 2023 - 08:41 AM

Heck at least they are still doing some work for their employer! Lots of people have taken a second job at the expense of the first or have simple cut their work week back. 

Doesn't your supervisor eventually realize you are completing no work?

#471 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 26 April 2023 - 08:45 AM

Doesn't your supervisor eventually realize you are completing no work?

Perhaps, but do they want to raise a fuss and maybe risk having their own supervisor see that they are doing no work?!

Ever wonder why the size of the public service has increased by something like 30% over the past 5 years yet it keeps taking longer and longer to get stuff done?!

Anyone here working from home want to tell us (without giggling), that they are getting more work done WFM then they did in the office?

Edited by spanky123, 26 April 2023 - 08:46 AM.

#472 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 26 April 2023 - 08:48 AM

Anyone here working from home want to tell us (without giggling), that they are getting more work done WFM then they did in the office?

Surely you know their improved work-life balance and diminished commute is making them more productive.   :teacher:

I work from home most of the time but I only get paid for results.  Not a salary or hourly wage. 

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 April 2023 - 08:49 AM.

#473 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 26 April 2023 - 08:48 AM

Surely you know their improved work-life balance and diminished commute is making them more productive.

Sure but I am referring to their primary job productivity!

#474 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 26 April 2023 - 08:57 AM

Ever wonder why the size of the public service has increased by something like 30% over the past 5 years yet it keeps taking longer and longer to get stuff done?!

Such generalizations, my division has closed more files then ever.

Also there are strict guidelines on working a file and it's resolution and HQ has a separate quality control division separate of each office to ensure files are being worked as guidelines state. We are also expected to resolve our files in a certain number of days. If you haven't you better have a clear reason in your diary and plan of action for what is going to happen.

Sorry but in collections, you can't hide not working.
  • AllseeingEye likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#475 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 April 2023 - 12:21 PM

I'm more productive when I WFH. Which I don't do that often, but could if I wanted to do so more. I prefer being in the office, even though its less productive overall.

Its a question and answer that is going to vary for everyone. There are too many factors to account for. Thats why blanket policies like 'everyone has to work from the office' or 'everyone has to WFH' are garbage. Same goes for giving full control of that to management - there should be some flexibility,.

#476 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 April 2023 - 12:44 PM

I'm more productive when I WFH. Which I don't do that often, but could if I wanted to do so more. I prefer being in the office, even though its less productive overall.

Its a question and answer that is going to vary for everyone. There are too many factors to account for. Thats why blanket policies like 'everyone has to work from the office' or 'everyone has to WFH' are garbage. Same goes for giving full control of that to management - there should be some flexibility,.

One thing I hope we can all realize is that different people have very different ways of working that's effective for them and any blanket policy is often more detrimental than beneficial.

• lanforod likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#477 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 26 April 2023 - 12:50 PM

Except we have union contracts designed to treat all workers equally.

#478 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 April 2023 - 01:03 PM

Except we have union contracts designed to treat all workers equally.

Some contracts. Not all. Its not necessary.

Edited by lanforod, 26 April 2023 - 01:04 PM.

#479 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,604 posts

Posted 12 May 2023 - 04:26 PM

First time working in an office in 3++ years, was almost odd showering and shaving at 6:30am and dressing in something other than shorts and a tee; we went for a full day of orientation and systems training at the new PBCS digs on Keating X Rd at the Gateway Center. They've done a very nice job with the space - its very modern, bright and well planned and thought out. From the Gorge I drove out Interurban past Camosun college to W Saanich hung a quick right then then a straight shot down Keating, a nice leisurely drive. Got to the new space in 25 minutes. And now for the most part we can WFH again. :)

#480 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 13 May 2023 - 06:54 AM

Very nice. It’s a beautiful drive, to boot, and you’re going against the traffic flow.

And can you remind us how many people will be working out of that office?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users