Deer Cull in Greater Victoria

• Please log in to reply
1003 replies to this topic

#1001 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 40,894 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 08:29 AM

There is no way a municipality would condone the discharge of a weapon within its border unless it is done so by a conservation officer or the police.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1002 aastra

aastra
  • 13,198 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 08:43 AM

Why not just kill all our urban deer, and subtract it from the hunter total?

Call me a jerk but there are aspects to the study and "addressing" of the urban deer issue (everywhere, not just in Victoria) that stray well into the absurd. I found that whole thing re: remote cameras to track the deer to be very silly. Remote cameras in frickin' Oak Bay. Any day on television you can watch dozens of different programs about researchers going into the deep wilderness somewhere to study this animal population or that. Seriously, Oak Bay might just be the most comfortable and convenient and compact locale in the entire world in which to study an animal population firsthand. And so they needed remote cameras to get the data that they required. I know, I'm being unfair. The cameras would still be useful even if you can count the deer as you're walking from the ATM over to Starbucks or strolling down to the beach. But I hope you get my point, that the analysis (analysis paralysis?) has been inflated almost to a farcical degree. I feel like there's a low-budget comedy movie waiting to be made about this.

Following from that, seeing as how Oak Bay is so very small and so very urban, could it really serve as a model for other jurisdictions? Consider the following:

They don’t have a population count yet...

In Oak Bay. They don't have a population count yet in Oak frickin' Bay. But then consider the plan:

The does will either be captured and the drug injected by hand or the deer will be shot with a contraceptive dart that will administer the drug and mark the spot for identification.

If successful, UWSS hopes the program will serve as an effective, community-supported template for urban deer management around North America.

Right, so they don't even have a good count of the deer in Oak Bay yet after all this time and all this analysis and all this money spent, but they nevertheless plan to inject the does by hand, and they also nevertheless plan to develop a model that will be feasible in municipalities around North America. There's a deer-infested municipality called Saanich right next door to Oak Bay. It's 10 times the physical size of Oak Bay, and much more suburban and even downright wild in some places. Surrey is 30 times the size of Oak Bay and blurs into genuine wilderness in many places. Kelowna CMA is almost 300 times the size of Oak Bay. If things have been dragged out so long in Oak Bay then how the hell could any lessons learned possibly be applicable to a large suburban municipality somewhere else?

#1003 aastra

aastra
  • 13,198 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 08:47 AM

Put it another way so I don't sound like I'm being so hard on the researchers: if it's been such a slog in Oak Bay then I think you have your answer. What you're doing couldn't possibly be successful anywhere else.

#1004 aastra

aastra
  • 13,198 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 10:09 AM

Reviving some info from a 2013 article:

There were three deaths in 2007, eight in 2010, 14 in 2011 and 23 last year. There have been 11 reported deaths so far in 2013.

Most of the deer were hit by cars, and either died instantly or were euthanized by police. But a number of deer died in gruesome ways, the report said. One was impaled on a fence, another fell through a swimming pool cover and drowned. A third crashed through the ice on a frozen fish pond.

Compare to info in the 2018 article:

A decade ago, there were years when just one or two were found dead in the municipality, said Jensen. For the past five to six years, about 40 have been found dead each year. There’s been a “rapid escalation” over the last six years

If you genuinely and sincerely care about the welfare of these animals then I don't see how you can regard Oak Bay's "urban deer" phenomenon as anything but appalling. It's not cute, it's not Disney. At this point it's absolutely disgusting. To advocate for the continuation of this ridiculous situation is to despise these deer.

But aastra, I saw a big buck in my yard the other day. It was so natural and majestic the way he was eating flowers (that he would never encounter in the wild), pooping in my driveway, and chasing my neighbour's dog with lethal intent. You should have seen him stride obliviously into the middle of the street, forcing a cyclist to dodge onto the sidewalk and the driver of a minivan to slam on her brakes. Majesty! Compassion! Nature!

DEER-STUCK-IN-NET.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users