Photo

What could $1-billion infrastructure dollars buy us?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:03 PM

So lets say for arguements sake, that we as a region were given 1 billion dollars to improve our transportation in this region and lower island. Yes I know that the chances of that happening are about as possible as revoking Campbell's Order Of BC nomination.

What do you see as possibilities?

I will start;

-urban tram system linking the densiest parts of the city
click on this link http://www.facebook....184833218209056
-improved bus service (more bues, real time displays, better shelters, etc)
-commuter rail on the E&N from up island
-potential improvements to TCH
-more bike lanes

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:51 PM

- An urban tram system would likely eat up $1-billion on its own if we were to build a network. One or two routes along the most highly used transit corridors should be enough with one route between downtown and UVic and the other between the Navy base and Royal Oak along Esquimalt and Quadra. I can't even begin to guess what those two routes would actually cost, though.

- We desperately need overpasses along HWY1 at Admirals and Tillicum. Not having free flowing traffic leading up to the second largest/busiest hospital on the Island is a public safety concern and should have been addressed years ago. The pricetag for both interchanges would likely be between $50 and $60-million going by the $24-million and $30-million price tags for the airport and Bear Mountain interchanges, respectively.

- Fix up the E&N and do it right with double wide tracks at certain locations for the opportunity to run trains in both directions if needed. This should cost no more than $50-million to accomplish. Add $10-million to get the darn thing back into downtown, too.

- HOV lanes between Saanich and Langford along HWY 1, with an HOV lane acting as a transit corridor at the same time. Run articulated buses to the west shore with electronic signage much like the B-lines in Vancouver. Adding one lane in each direction plus manipulating existing overpasses (if necessary) and building transit platforms would likely cost $100 to $200-million, tops, along with new transit vehicles.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 September 2011 - 04:23 PM

Hi Mike,

thanks for changing the thread title, it actually sounds a lot better. =)
As for an urban tram system, a downtown circular (perhaps 2 lines) then a line to oakbay and Uvic. I will see what the cost will be for such a system.

cheers

#4 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 08:25 PM

-Fix up the E&N and do it right with double wide tracks at certain locations for the opportunity to run trains in both directions if needed. This should cost no more than $50-million to accomplish. Add $10-million to get the darn thing back into downtown, too.

I agree with everything you said. It would also make sense to delay the new bridge project until this whole transit mess is sorted out. That bridge needs to have a provision for the E&N or LRT in the design.

#5 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:09 PM

Chris Coleman on CFAX now.
http://www.cfax1070....callsign=CFAXAM

#6 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:29 PM

It was mostly about balancing the residential/business tax rate, sorry, I thought they were going to discuss infrastructure.

#7 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:48 PM

Looks like Portland is going through the same sort of crisis as us, with a $1.5 billion LRT line proposed. Someone made a video suggesting how the money could be better spent:

usyUzlhHfe4

#8 markimarki

markimarki
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 07:24 PM

Just an extension on the Calgary LRT West Line is costing us $1.5B, thats like 9 stops, one huge bridge from downtown, then above ground, then underground. THATS 8 KILOMETERS just for the extension. Then theres a pedestrian bridge over the Bow River costing $22M.

Don't you love government?

#9 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:25 AM

So now we have a leaky police station, and City Hall with flaking paint.

I hope those building aren't developing "pack rust".

#10 Lupurus

Lupurus
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:48 PM

It's not a sexy option as infrastructure spending goes, but free money like that should really be used to pay down our infrastructure deficit and get serious about cataloguing, monitoring, and maintaining our present infrastructure.

We have sewers, storm drains, roads, and public buildings which are less than a decade from needing major renewal and replacement, and many more whose statuses aren't even being monitored. Instead, the City is essentially waiting for these structures to crumble so they can be replaced (at a greater cost than simple maintenance).

After that, trams trams trams :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users