Photo

BC Transit (Victoria Regional Transit System) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
9623 replies to this topic

#7281 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 05:45 PM

Why can't we just get something like this: https://vancouversun...r-your-keychain

Compass uses Cubic's system, which takes a long time and a lot of money to setup. So BC Transit wants to skip right past that to tap your phone, but that isn't quite there yet

#7282 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 10:55 PM

There are heaps of vending machines that accept coins, credit cards, tap pay, and cash. What makes an entire vending machine cost $4,000 but a single fare box on a bus $13,000?

You can’t show your empty chip bag to transfer buses.

#7283 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 06:26 AM

No, but you do have to show a driver a slip of paper. No payment kiosk necessary there at all.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7284 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 December 2019 - 03:08 PM

Idea for BC Transit for next year's lighted truck parade:

Last night the BC Transit bus in the parade ran empty except for the driver.  BCT could run some sort of draw during the preceding week, with the entry "fee" being a food donation and the prize being tickets for two to ride on the decorated bus, total maybe ten prizes so max. 20 people on the bus thus giving lots of space for all.

Meet the bus at the Ogden Point parade start, then ride in the parade; the only extra bit for the bus driver would be taking the winners back to Ogden Point after festivities wind up at Western Speedway.

Thoughts?

• Mike K., Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#7285 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,849 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 03:25 PM

good idea.  

#7286 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 December 2019 - 04:08 PM

the only extra bit for the bus driver would be taking the winners back to Ogden Point after festivities wind up at Western Speedway.

Thoughts?

Maybe they could just get a free pass to take transit back to their homes?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#7287 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 530 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 05:38 PM

Maybe they could just get a free pass to take transit back to their homes?

Would Victoria city council approve of such a wasteful expenditure?  It would be necessary to have a special CRD meeting of the whole in order to approve such extravagance!

#7288 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 05:39 PM

Has there been a final tally of how many "free" transit passes were distributed to CoV youth for use during the month of December?

#7289 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 07:12 PM

Why can't we just get something like this: https://vancouversun...r-your-keychain

Compass cost $194 million to implement. And still require fareboxes for other payment methods.

#7290 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 08:50 PM

Did I suggest that a Compass-like system would eliminate fare boxes? Some sort of reloadable pass would encourage people who don't regularly take the bus to do so. One of the main reasons I don't take the bus very often is because the current payment methods are antiquated and inconvenient.

#7291 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 08 December 2019 - 09:15 PM

Has there been a final tally of how many "free" transit passes were distributed to CoV youth for use during the month of December?

Free bus passes are like free healthcare clinics - there's always a long wait and often they turn you away because they're full.

#7292 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 04:40 AM

Did I suggest that a Compass-like system would eliminate fare boxes? Some sort of reloadable pass would encourage people who don't regularly take the bus to do so. One of the main reasons I don't take the bus very often is because the current payment methods are antiquated and inconvenient.

dropping $2.50 in coin or $5 in coin or bill is inconvenient?  i'm sure even in north park cash is still used frequently.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 December 2019 - 04:40 AM.

#7293 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 04:41 AM

Free bus passes are like free healthcare clinics - there's always a long wait and often they turn you away because they're full.

that's a real concern for sure.

#7294 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 December 2019 - 08:23 AM

dropping $2.50 in coin or $5 in coin or bill is inconvenient?  i'm sure even in north park cash is still used frequently.

I almost never have cash/change on me.  If you want me to take the bus, it has to be made easier.  

I've saved a lot by not buying Girl Guide cookies on a whim outside the grocery stores.  I don't know why they don't take credit cards.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#7295 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 08:47 AM

I almost never have cash/change on me.  If you want me to take the bus, it has to be made easier...

When even the Salvation Army "kettle" campaign has started taking e-payments then you know that BC Transit is out of touch with what people need.

#7296 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 05:40 PM

BC Transit really seems to overestimate how many of the people on the 4 are UVic/Camosun students, especially in December. At 2 PM almost full bus right up to Hillside Mall where it almost empties. 

#7297 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 10:51 PM

What's wrong with an almost full bus? Seems like that would be the most efficient. Not passing anyone up, and not utilizing excess resources.

#7298 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 December 2019 - 02:12 AM

I almost never have cash/change on me.  If you want me to take the bus, it has to be made easier.  

I've saved a lot by not buying Girl Guide cookies on a whim outside the grocery stores.  I don't know why they don't take credit cards.

To accommodate credit card payments they'd probably have to raise the fares, in order to pay the bank fees (which is why many merchants have a minimum purchase amount if paying by credit, even though in theory they're not allowed to).

I don't see why I should be making a bank richer when I take a bus somewhere.

#7299 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 02:35 AM

smart sophisticated businesses have no minimum purchase with credit and debit cards.

the fee is easily recovered in reduced administration costs for handling cash and more sales by taking multiple payment forms.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 December 2019 - 02:37 AM.

#7300 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 05:03 AM

CUPE 7000, which represents 900 SkyTrain workers, had threatened to walk off the job at 5 a.m. Tuesday for three days if they couldn’t reach a deal with TransLink subsidiary the BC Rapid Transity Company (BCRTC).

That proved to be unnecessary as the two sides reached a breakthrough after a marathon 18-hour bargaining session, just minutes before the strike would have taken effect.

CUPE 7000 president Tony Rebelo acknowledged that there would be some SkyTrain delays Tuesday morning as the system got up to speed.

https://globalnews.c...strike-averted/

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users