BC Transit (Victoria Regional Transit System) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
9623 replies to this topic

#8841 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 09 June 2023 - 09:52 AM

Whenever I read posts like this, I shake my head at the cranky old man syndrome on display here. I think you know full well that there are many government provided or subsidized services that you use or don't use, and that applies to everyone in BC. I'm sure folks in Smithers just love subsidizing BC Ferries or major infrastructure projects in Vancouver.

So let’s wind that back, not justify more cash grabs.

BC Transit provides transit services to a very small portion of the population. But 100% of the population has to heavily subsidize it.

My mom, to visit me, now has to ride three buses. Up to a few months ago it was two buses.

I have to ride two buses to get downtown. Up to a few months ago, it was one bus. The service is getting worse.
  • Nparker and Matt R. like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8842 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 09 June 2023 - 10:02 AM

...there are many government provided or subsidized services that you use or don't use, and that applies to everyone in BC...

2 words: user pay.

#8843 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 12 June 2023 - 03:00 PM

So let’s wind that back, not justify more cash grabs.

BC Transit provides transit services to a very small portion of the population. But 100% of the population has to heavily subsidize it.

My mom, to visit me, now has to ride three buses. Up to a few months ago it was two buses.

I have to ride two buses to get downtown. Up to a few months ago, it was one bus. The service is getting worse.

Is that true at all times?

Looks like she can catch the 24 then the 65?  Is that right?

Do folks in Smithers really pay the same amount?  Transit only supports a small % of population?  You mean like 10%?  That cannot be right.

Ah you mean only a small % of people use it.

Edited by Ismo07, 12 June 2023 - 03:12 PM.

#8844 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 12 June 2023 - 03:15 PM

65 runs 2x per day, only in the afternoon rush.

It took Mrs. Mike K two hours to get downtown on Saturday morning. She was choked. It was the same time to get home. Her bus (95) arrived a few moments too late and the 61 left the exchange. 30 minute wait time. So four hours spent in travel.

By car it would have been 1:10 to 1:20 round trip total. It’s not even comparable, how terrible of an option transit is.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8845 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 12 June 2023 - 03:17 PM

65 runs 2x per day, only in the afternoon rush.

It took Mrs. Mike K two hours to get downtown on Saturday morning. She was choked. It was the same time to get home. Her bus (95) arrived a few moments too late and the 61 left the exchange. 30 minute wait time. So four hours spent in travel.

By car it would have been 1:10 to 1:20 round trip total. It’s not even comparable, how terrible of an option transit is.

I just cannot comprehend that the 61 does not wait for the 95 or vice versa.  It just doesn't make sense that it would bridge that time. Such an easy fix.

#8846 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 12 June 2023 - 03:20 PM

Didn’t they build a bunch of fancy bus shelters along that route recently?

You would think that the ridership would be increasing. I know the car traffic certainly is.

#8847 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,852 posts

Posted 12 June 2023 - 03:35 PM

Yes. Car traffic is increasing. Public transit share is reducing. Every public transit planner is wrong.

Who knew tfjat travelling with stinky and crazy other people would be less pleasant than your car.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 June 2023 - 03:38 PM.

• Nparker and Barrrister like this

#8848 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 12 June 2023 - 03:41 PM

Poll:

Has anyone been on public transit lately, and they felt the security and of the fellow passengers?

I suspect ZERO.

#8849 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 12 June 2023 - 03:55 PM

Last weekend, I took local public transit for the first time since 2019. I am happy to wait another 3-4 years before I do it again.

• Barrrister and Victoria Watcher like this

#8850 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 12 June 2023 - 05:11 PM

Take it all the time, no problems here other than the need for night busses.

#8851 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 12 June 2023 - 06:38 PM

Yes. Car traffic is increasing. Public transit share is reducing. Every public transit planner is wrong.

One of the worst days for traffic congestion was free transit day last week. There was something in the air that day, I guess.

Know it all.

#8852 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 07:20 AM

Here’s another issue.

IMG_0259.jpeg
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#8853 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 08:00 AM

Poll:

Has anyone been on public transit lately, and they felt the security and of the fellow passengers?

I suspect ZERO.

100% safe...

#8854 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 08:49 AM

If it was 100% safe, why are drivers now behind a safety shroud, and all buses are equipped with surveillance?
  • Barrrister and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.

#8855 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 09:05 AM

It’s just another public place we’ve ceded to vagrants. Like parks and libraries.
  • Barrrister likes this

#8856 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 09:11 AM

And sidewalk boulevards, public squares and business doorways.

• Barrrister likes this

#8857 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 10:22 AM

If it was 100% safe, why are drivers now behind a safety shroud, and all buses are equipped with surveillance?

I was asked if I felt safe, I've taken a few buses over the last month and no issues.  Some nice young lad even offered me his seat when it was full.  Sure there have been a few incidents and the employer has a duty to make sure staff are safe.  So the driver is being protected but till I start seeing the need for a guard on board, not sure how unsafe it really is.  Does Mrs. Mike K feel super unsafe or is she more upset about the schedule?

#8858 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 10:43 AM

She rides the bus daily, spends a few hours on it. Safety concerns are rising. She says incidents of disorder are becoming more common, and I get phone calls now and then when she’s on the bus, and is concerned. She’s locked in with an unstable person, with no escape. We’ve seen several murders on public transit in Canada in recent months, one in Surrey.

In the absence of data, aside from anecdotes, we can only glean the reality of the situation through protective measures BC Transit is implementing to protect their drivers in Victoria.

Know it all.

#8859 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 11:43 AM

She rides the bus daily, spends a few hours on it. Safety concerns are rising. She says incidents of disorder are becoming more common, and I get phone calls now and then when she’s on the bus, and is concerned. She’s locked in with an unstable person, with no escape. We’ve seen several murders on public transit in Canada in recent months, one in Surrey.

In the absence of data, aside from anecdotes, we can only glean the reality of the situation through protective measures BC Transit is implementing to protect their drivers in Victoria.

Reports of violence in many areas including transit have increased certainly.  As a society it has increased everywhere, at least the reporting is.   BC Transit is likely following what other systems have done.  I doubt they are leading the way in driver safety.

#8860 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 01:02 PM

Old news here, we know.

People feel more vulnerable on buses now, and drivers have a cage for protection.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users