Photo

Victoria Bakeries

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mikedw

mikedw
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 09:49 PM

Have any of you seen local bakeries selling triple-decker buns? (like Big Mac buns)-- I remember seeing them way back and, yes, you can cut a bun into three, but that doesn't seem the same.

Just curious and thanks in advance,

Mike

Web developer & Internet Marketer

https://web321.co

#2 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 10:51 PM

Trying to duplicate another famous restaurant dish mike?

#3 mikedw

mikedw
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 08:10 AM

Trying to duplicate another famous restaurant dish mike?

Exactly (http://mike.dewolfe.bc.ca/cooking/bigmike.asp) but I unfortunately had the real article last night and realized that the deal maker is the bun. Even when I try from fresh buns and lightly toast them, it's not the same. :(

Web developer & Internet Marketer

https://web321.co

#4 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 08:22 AM

Those look good!

#5 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 09:02 AM

Is McGavin's the supplier? They probably don't part with proprietary products they make for clients. Maybe you could get an employee to slip you a bag out the back door.

You know how exciting it is to work at McD's.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#6 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 10:35 AM

Wow, thats freaky. I used to work at Wendys, and I know the drill. Get up at 5:30 am. Replace the drive to work and the breakfast with a nice hour long walk to work. Then repeat the sandwich making process at least 400 times before you get off work. And remember.. each sandwich shouldnt take more than 6 seconds to make. And they should look exactly like the photo, otherwise people come back and complain.

Finish the day without having eaten still, and walk back home for an hour. You'll be happy to receive $60 a day for all your hard work. And foolishly enough, you'll be back the next day, to do it all over again.

#7 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:27 AM

So Captain Cook's is officially gone as the reincarnation is now dead too.

The replacement is called Community Cooking or something like that and is a little more high end.

I went in yesterday and had a Tarte Tatin, sort of an a butter tart crossed with an apple crisp. Anyways I know I should not base anything such a small sample but it was delicious.

The idea is that all the products are either baked on site or are oredered from local small bakeries and all the product is made from island grown produce.

Hopefully they fill the display cases more in the future as it did have a bit of a going out of business sale feel to it.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#8 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 07:59 PM

I've always been a fan of Baba Rose's on Cook street. Absolutely delicious croissants. And the bakery is kosher, too!

#9 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 09:13 PM

Bubby Rose's.

#10 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 09:15 PM

Captain Cook's is now called The Little Piggy although old habits die hard and I'm sure people will still call it Captain Cook's for years to come.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#11 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 06:27 PM

The "new" Rising Star Bakery on Broad St. has reopened.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users