BUILT
Paradise Falls, phase 1
Uses: subdivision, townhome
Address: Bombardier Crescent
Municipality: Langford
Region: West Shore
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The first phase of Paradise Falls, released in 2014, consists of 13 townhomes, six smallFootprint homes™ and... (view full profile)
Learn more about Paradise Falls, phase 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Langford] Westhills | 5,000 homes | U/C

• Please log in to reply
261 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:41 PM

The original thread on the Westhills project was accidentally deleted. Yikes :(

This thread has been started as a substitute.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:48 PM

Does this mean Westhills was deleted and will have to be restarted?

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:45 AM

We've got a lot of pull around here, but not that much ;)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:37 AM

We've got a lot of pull around here, but not that much ;)

hmmm, how do we change that? Really, the VV board should be the final arbitrator of what goes and what does not go in the CRD

#5 maniac78

maniac78
  • 271 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:45 PM

I decided to try out my new camera and take some pictures of this area since the other ones are gone now. Looks like my photography skillz need some improvement.

Townhouse complex complete, condo is still being framed. Condo is supposed to be done next fall I believe.

Lots's of equipment! Looks like they are flattening this hill and using the rock for building various retaining walls elsewhere.

#6 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:54 PM

^ Those are still interesting pictures maniac, perhaps you just need a little more sunshine. :) Thank you

#7 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 07:51 PM

Yes, interesting pictures, but it's like looking back in time. This development is SO 1950s. It's completely Levittown* redux. I just can't support the creation of any more suburban sprawl, especially on this scale; it's just not sustainable for the future. Nevertheless, I hope the people who live there are happy, but I sure hope that they don't expect me as an urban dweller to spend my tax dollars to subsidize the infrastructure needed to support their historic, auto-centric lifestyle.

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levittown,_New_York

#8 phx

phx
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:13 PM

Yes, interesting pictures, but it's like looking back in time. This development is SO 1950s. It's completely Levittown* redux. I just can't support the creation of any more suburban sprawl, especially on this scale; it's just not sustainable for the future. Nevertheless, I hope the people who live there are happy, but I sure hope that they don't expect me as an urban dweller to spend my tax dollars to subsidize the infrastructure needed to support their historic, auto-centric lifestyle.

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levittown,_New_York

The development has a mix of single-family homes on smaller lots, townhouses, and condos. Overall, it has reasonable density. It's also within walking distance of downtown Langford.

It is even built to LEED-ND standards.

Do you have any basis for calling it unsustainable?

#9 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:45 PM

Do you have any basis for calling it reasonable density?

#10 phx

phx
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:27 PM

It will have 18,750 homes per square mile, vs. 5,200 in Victoria.

#11 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:43 PM

Postage stamp lots....with no yards for the kids to play in.

My daughter's friends call it... Langhole.

#12 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:10 PM

Looks like there's plenty of driveway for the kids to play on.

Thanks for the pix maniac!

#13 maniac78

maniac78
  • 271 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:22 AM

You can't really see it but there are yards there. Not huge yards but enough for kids to play in or whatever. Didn't want to start creeping around yards taking shots. As for langhole... I agree no reason anyone would want to live here ha ha.

#14 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:02 AM

Nevertheless, I hope the people who live there are happy, but I sure hope that they don't expect me as an urban dweller to spend my tax dollars to subsidize the infrastructure needed to support their historic, auto-centric lifestyle.

Have you seen the restrictions stratas place on condos these days? If you're even thinking of starting a family, you need a house. If you want a pet you need a house. If you have children you need a house as many stratas restrict the number of people who can live in a condo or ban children altogether.

If you have friends and you entertain, you need a house. If you have hobbies that require more room than knitting, you need a house.

If you have all of those you need a car. And if you have a car, you need a house to take care of it at.

Density isn't always pretty, either.
  • stormy likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#15 mysage

mysage
  • 515 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:40 AM

My daughter's friends call it... Langhole.

Hope your daughters friends either have good jobs or marry rich so they can afford the "big yards" they think are indicative of a nice place to live.

#16 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:16 PM

Don't ya know kids aren't supposed to have yards, that's so 1950s.

There are supposed to play on the roads in front of their apartment complex.

Don't worry, there wont be any cars on the roads, the government bus comes by just once an hour to take you where it wants you to go.

And for gosh sakes don't ask for any public open areas, they just contribute to urban sprawl.

Shame on you Sparky, I thought you knew better.;)
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#17 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:39 PM

Have you seen the restrictions stratas place on condos these days? If you're even thinking of starting a family, you need a house. If you want a pet you need a house. If you have children you need a house as many stratas restrict the number of people who can live in a condo or ban children altogether.

If you have friends and you entertain, you need a house. If you have hobbies that require more room than knitting, you need a house.

If you have all of those you need a car. And if you have a car, you need a house to take care of it at.

We have a child, entertain friends, and have hobbies beyond knitting, yet we manage to do it all in a condo, and w/o living in Langford. I will grant that we have to get our car fixed at a garage, but otherwise, your list of reasons why people "need a house" simply displays an inability to envision a way of life different from the car-dependent one popular 50 years ago.

Sure there are benefits to living out in the burbs, but there are costs too, and for an increasing number of people, those costs are no longer acceptable.

#18 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:14 PM

^^ :)

#19 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:33 PM

We have a child, entertain friends, and have hobbies beyond knitting, yet we manage to do it all in a condo, and w/o living in Langford.

I'm so tempted to start a thread on this but I'll spare the forum my rants for now.

The fact remains that there is a demand for single-family houses.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#20 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:38 PM

And for gosh sakes don't ask for any public open areas, they just contribute to sprawl.

You're confused about this.

It's been mentioned in the past that focusing on density will make our current public spaces healthier.
Adding even more public space will not make Victoria better. More importantly, we need more people actually living here.
Personally, I love public spaces that are neccesary.

I hope this clears this up for you.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users