Photo

Salmon Kings Poll

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Poll: Have you taken in a live Salmon Kings Game? (1 member(s) have cast votes)

Have you taken in a live Salmon Kings Game?

1. Yes, and loved it, and will be back. (8 votes [34.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 34.78%

2. Yes, and will not be back. (1 votes [4.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

3. Yes, and was neither impressed or disappointed. (5 votes [21.74%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.74%

4. No, not interested in team or hockey at all. (7 votes [30.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.43%

5. No, but plan to in future. (2 votes [8.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

6. No, can not afford ticket prices. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. No, I support other sports teams. (0 votes [0.00%])

8. No, but will come to games if they get on a winning streak. (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Jeffamartin1970

Jeffamartin1970
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 08:35 AM

:) I found the Salmon Kings entertaining at a reasonable price. Sure they do win every game but they play 95% of time with heart. I think this team is worth supporting. We need to get gmes on the internet, and even better get games on the radio. Especailly away games. I did not like the name of the team when it was first choosen but have softened a little and have come to accept it. We need to get around 1000 to 2000 more fans out a game. They team needs to market itself better too.

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:24 AM

:) I found the Salmon Kings entertaining at a reasonable price. Sure they do win every game but they play 95% of time with heart. I think this team is worth supporting. We need to get gmes on the internet, and even better get games on the radio. Especailly away games. I did not like the name of the team when it was first choosen but have softened a little and have come to accept it. We need to get around 1000 to 2000 more fans out a game. They team needs to market itself better too.

99% of away games are on radio via internet for free.

95% of away games are on the internet with full video and audio play-by-play for $6US. I've watched about 25 games this way.

Just visit the home teams website and you'll find it.

Or go to Soprano's on Dec 17th at 5PM (vs. Fresno) or 21st at 6:15PM (vs. Phoenix) to see the games on the 10' bigscreen LIVE for free.

Internet audio of the home games is in testing stage, and video is only a week or two behind.

Stay tuned.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:26 AM

Always have a great time at the games.

#4 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 11:12 AM

So far I prefer the ECHL over the WHL. It's more exciting hockey though the officials could use more training. The new arena is OK, the seats are more comfortable at the BMA. I had season tickets the first year and enjoyed it even though they kept losing and were moved to the BMA because of the construction delays and I got screwed by RG over where my seats ended up, they put me in the home end. (I phoned and emailed them several times and they never bothered to get back to me and the story goes on, I gathered there wasn't much hockey experience in their office.) I only went to one game last year because I was still pissed off over how they treated the season ticket holders. I also heard the Club seat holders last year never got the perks promised with their seats. They called me this year to try and sell me season tickets this year and the guy on the phone got an ear full from me but it sounds like they are starting to learn from their mistakes so I plan on attending more games this season. I think the affiliation with the Canucks will save this team from extinction and if they keep up the good work they'll reach the 5000 break even point soon.
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#5 Number Six

Number Six
  • 261 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 12:01 PM

I'd much prefer a WHL franchise. The opportunity to see rising young stars is far more enticing than watching players compete for spots on AHL teams. I wish the Salmon Kings all the best and I do go to a couple of games a year but I know I'd purchase more tickets to see local rivalries. I have great memories of when Seattle and Portland used to come to town!

#6 &lt;avril&gt;

&lt;avril&gt;
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 02:38 PM

It'a always really fun, especially with the music. Me and my dad got tickets right up front, but near the end we ended up moving higher to see the game better. :)

#7 Moosebeer

Moosebeer
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 07:59 PM

Just go and support the team and help keep quality hockey in Victoria. I've been to several games this year and have found all the games entertaining. As far as getting a WHL franchise, we had a team and we lost them. If the Victoria Cougars had adequate support they never would of left town and went to Pig Gorge. Besides the ECHL has more talented players than the WHL anyways. The league is made up of former WHL, OHL, and QMJHL standouts. I watched some Salmon Kings like Kiel McLeod play junior when he was with the Kelowna Rockets. He was drafted in the second round in 2001 by the Columbus Blue Jackets. Local boy Bryan Bridges was a star with both the Kootenay Ice and the Seattle Thunderbirds. So the talent is there and Victoria will never have better hockey unless the AHL comes to town. If Stockton, Calif. of all places can get 10,000 to an ECHL game then certainly we can stop make excuses and get 5000 to a game.

#8 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:16 PM

I'll continue to go whenever I get invited to sit in someone's corporate box.

Free Booze + Free Food + Good Seats = Good Times.

:)

#9 Number Six

Number Six
  • 261 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:05 PM

If Stockton, Calif. of all places can get 10,000 to an ECHL game then certainly we can stop make excuses and get 5000 to a game

I'm not making excuses ... simply stating that I'm not going spend $21 *very often* to watch former WHL stars who didn't make it in the NHL. I had Cougar's season's tickets for 3 years and enjoyed going to games where there were a couple of busloads of opposing fans in the stands (from Seattle or Portland) ... it always added to the atmosphere (and tension) but unfortunately those local rivalries don't exist.

As I mentioned before I hope the Salmon Kings all the best but I'd still prefer to watch young stars on the way up.

#10 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:19 PM

For local rivalries people can go watch BCHL at Bear Mountain Arena. I think it is great that Victoria has a professional hockey team.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 10:57 PM

If Stockton, Calif. of all places can get 10,000 to an ECHL game then certainly we can stop make excuses and get 5000 to a game

I'm not making excuses ... simply stating that I'm not going spend $21 *very often* to watch former WHL stars who didn't make it in the NHL. I had Cougar's season's tickets for 3 years and enjoyed going to games where there were a couple of busloads of opposing fans in the stands (from Seattle or Portland) ... it always added to the atmosphere (and tension) but unfortunately those local rivalries don't exist.

As I mentioned before I hope the Salmon Kings all the best but I'd still prefer to watch young stars on the way up.

Six, I loved the Portland and Seattle rivalries, went on many a trip esp. to Portland to see games, and they brought a busload or 5 of fans to come here.

But the guys that play in the E are all the BEST guys from the W that didn't advanvce. It is VERY good hocvkey.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#12 Moosebeer

Moosebeer
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 02:26 PM

I was, and still am, a big fan of junior hockey. I went to many Cougar games and enjoyed the rivalries with the New Westminster Bruins when they had guys like Stan Smyl, Barry Beck, Brad Maxwell, and Harold Phillipoff. But at the same time I enjoy the Salmon Kings and believe the quality is slightly better than junior and well worth the price of admission.

Unfortunately, we lost the Victoria Cougars due to lack of support and the same thing is going to happen to the Salmon Kings. How can cities like Kamloops, Kelowna, Cranbrook, and Prince George support WHL teams and we can't? Is it because we are a retirement haven and there are a large number of shut-ins who can't get to games?

Anyhow I will continue to support hockey in Victoria while it lasts. :cry:

#13 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:19 AM

I wanted a WHL franchise too.....before i found out that the ECHL is actually a cut above. I could certainly imagine going to another game, although i wouldn't say i "loved" going to the first game.
In chains by Keynes

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 01:37 PM

If anyone wants to go, I can usually get $12 tix. Just let me know. That'll save ya $9.

#15 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,310 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 10:08 AM

Don’t be fooled, Lester Patrick’s role in shaping the modern game of ice hockey from the arena on Cadboro Bay Road near Oak Bay High remains paramount in Victoria hockey history.

But there’s more to Victoria’s first 100 years of pro hockey, and local hockey historian and author Helen Edwards captures it all in her new book, The History of Professional Hockey in Victoria, 1911 to 2011.

In the book Edwards encapsulates every single pro hockey game played in town, starting with the debut of ice hockey in Victoria in the brand new “Oak Bay” Arena on Jan. 2, 1912 as Patrick’s Victoria Senators hosted the New Westminster Royals.

https://www.vicnews....ed-in-new-book/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 September 2019 - 10:09 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users