Garden Suites in The City of Victoria

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#21 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

^ Good Point. Marko what do you think the value add to the property value would be for something like this? If you could actually sell your property for 100k more seems like a no brainer since the rent would cover the borrowing cost of the 100k. Of course you are losing a lot of backyard...

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#22 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:54 PM

I would think not having to deal with so much of the permit process is worth it to some people.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#23 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,770 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:00 PM

^ Good Point. Marko what do you think the value add to the property value would be for something like this? If you could actually sell your property for 100k more seems like a no brainer since the rent would cover the borrowing cost of the 100k. Of course you are losing a lot of backyard...

Difficult to say how much value would be added as this is so new there is no sales history. Location is important, if you can add one these in Fairfield it would probably add a lot more value to the property versus adding one to a home in Burnside.

You would probably get your money back on resale. For the homeowner it is a no brainer as even $500 rent per month would almost cover the cost of borrowing 100k.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#24 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,770 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:02 PM

I would think not having to deal with so much of the permit process is worth it to some people.

Is the permit process much different? I guess if you built one you would need to have a few more inspections. Both still need rezoning which is the big thing. Even with prefab I imagine you need to have foundation inspected and a final occupancy inspection?

#25 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 08:57 AM

Despite Helps' claim that there would be a lineup for applications on the first day of the policy change, apparently nobody has come forth yet. 

http://www.timescolo...ites-1.18657085

• Nparker likes this

#26 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,770 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 May 2017 - 02:29 PM

I've commented on this in another thread -> http://vibrantvictor...-12#entry382025

• Nparker likes this

#27 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 10:53 AM

Victorias-fast-tracked-garden-suite-program-uprooted-by-new-owner-builder-exam.jpg

Thousands of properties in the City of Victoria are eligible for a fast-tracked garden suite policy. However, nearly two months after the launch of the new initiative the response from homeowners has been lukewarm, and a local REALTOR® believes he knows what is keeping would-be adopters from pursuing permits.

Victoria’s fast-tracked garden suite program uprooted by new owner-builder exam

http://victoria.citi...-authorization/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#28 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 10:00 AM

Mike K., on 07 Oct 2017 - 10:54 AM, said:

...Remember how removing red tape from garden suite applications was supposed to help solve the housing crisis because small home living was in vogue and garden suites were cheap and garden suites maintained the character of neighbourhoods and garden suites added gentle density and garden suites were a great mortgage helper and garden suites were the best thing ever and that there was significant pent-up demand among the owners of the 7,000 identified suitable properties to build garden suites on?

As we approach the 6 month mark since the CoV's garden suite policy change, has there been much, if any, interest from the alleged 7000 suitable properties?

Edited by Nparker, 07 October 2017 - 10:00 AM.

#29 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,770 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 October 2017 - 11:41 AM

As we approach the 6 month mark since the CoV's garden suite policy change, has there been much, if any, interest from the alleged 7000 suitable properties?

I've had two clients already give up....City of Victoria building department unreasonable + BC Housing owner builder exam.  One client even spent a few thousand on drawings/etc., but never ended up submitting to the city.

This was 100% politics as was the Airbnb "crackdown." 

You would have to be dumb if you thought any garden suites were going to get built. Now if the building department was reasonable and the city talked to BC Housing and removed from owner-builder exam requirement garden suites WOULD get built.

But this isn't about actually building, this is about politics.

My video from April

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQwiczQTYcE

• rjag and Bingo like this

#30 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 05:35 PM

Personally I think all BC Housing owner builder crap should just be eliminated.  All it has done is decreased competition and drive up prices

I have always found it funny that I can manage overall construction of high rises, shopping centres, tunnels, reservoirs, etc (all of which I have done), but I probably couldn't pass an owner builder exam (disclaimer, I haven't tried either)

#31 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,770 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 October 2017 - 08:23 PM

Personally I think all BC Housing owner builder crap should just be eliminated.  All it has done is decreased competition and drive up prices

I have always found it funny that I can manage overall construction of high rises, shopping centres, tunnels, reservoirs, etc (all of which I have done), but I probably couldn't pass an owner builder exam (disclaimer, I haven't tried either)

I am familiar with the exam and I would say 99% of licenced builders in Victoria would fail the exam if it was placed in front of them (without the opportunity to study).  For one, they wouldn't be familiar with BC Housing legislation that is found on the exam, which you know is super important when it comes to the quality of construction.

Edited by MarkoJ, 07 October 2017 - 08:23 PM.

• sebberry likes this

#32 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 02:03 PM

FYI, commercial contractors are not licensed in any way

#33 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 02:06 PM

I guess that in all cases though, building inspectors have to sign off on things, and in commercial projects that require complex engineering that's above the skill set of a local inspector, the engineers have to sign off on stuff.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 08 October 2017 - 02:07 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#34 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:46 PM

I'm sure the CoV will take to the next UBCM a motion to scrap the Owner Builder exam. Right along side their motion to ban plastic bags.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#35 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,770 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 October 2017 - 10:01 PM

I'm sure the CoV will take to the next UBCM a motion to scrap the Owner Builder exam. Right along side their motion to ban plastic bags.

No they won't....they will give you an answer of "just hire a licensed HPO builder," to build your garden suite if you don't want to write the exam.

There is zero common sense being employed at CoV. The important thing is they came out with news headlines of "re-zoning criteria lifted from garden suites, make Victoria affordable again." The fact that there is an even larger obstacle to build a garden suite then before will go completely ignored. 

In the 5 or 6 years before the re-zoning criteria was lifted there were less than 10 garden suites built while they spent hundreds of thousands on the garden suite program and policies. 

In the next 5 years less than 10 garden suite will get built and either the CoV doesn't care or they just don't understand real life.

Just look at the bridge planning.

Edited by MarkoJ, 08 October 2017 - 10:04 PM.

• rjag likes this

#36 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,770 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 October 2017 - 10:03 PM

Licensed builders must be loving this environment. They are pushing the same message as BC Housing, I wonder why.....

http://www.vrba.ca/e...sumers-climate/

Edited by MarkoJ, 08 October 2017 - 10:05 PM.

• DavidL likes this

#37 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 17 September 2018 - 10:20 AM

Victoria's-garden-suite-housing-strategy-yields-22-approvals-among-7,000-eligible-properties.jpg

Victoria's plans to infuse 'gentle-density' into residential neighbourhoods through a simplified and fast-tracked garden suite policy has failed to generate interest. Only 22 applications have been approved under the program despite nearly 7,000 properties being eligible for garden suites. Calling the program effective, if re-elected Mayor Lisa Helps plans to expand the garden suite initiative to permit 'family-sized' units applicable to 5,600 properties.

Victoria's garden suite housing strategy yields 22 approvals among 7,000 eligible properties

https://victoria.cit...ble-properties/

The City of Victoria’s streamlined and less onerous garden suite approvals process has yielded less than two dozen successful applications since its introduction in 2017, according to Mayor of Victoria Lisa Helps.

As part of a re-election platform outlined on the mayor’s website, Helps identifies 22 standalone garden suites as having received the green light from city hall within the last year while pointing out that only 18 such approvals were handed down in the previous decade-plus. Just under 20 are currently awaiting approval. [Full article]

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#38 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 17 September 2018 - 11:53 AM

Does the homeowner lose the capital gain exemption for that part of the property as they are using it to generate revenue? ie the primary residence status exemption upon a sale would now be reduced to the actual principal residence portion of the property and the rest would be subject to taxable gains?

#39 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 11:58 AM

That's a good question. How does it work now for people who have legal suites in their homes?

#40 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 17 September 2018 - 12:07 PM

That's a good question. How does it work now for people who have legal suites in their homes?

Yup looks like it

https://www.canada.c...-property.html 

Subsequently, when you actually sell the property you have to:

• split the selling price between the part you used for your principal residence and the part you used for rental or business purposes. We will accept a split based on square metres or the number of rooms as long as the split is reasonable; and
  • report any capital gain on the part you used for rental or business purposes. You can also make a principal residence designation for the portion of the property for which there was no change in use as your principal residence, by completing Schedule 3 and Form T2091(IND), in order to claim the principal residence exemption for that portion of the gain.

Another nail in the coffin of garden suites

Edited by rjag, 17 September 2018 - 12:09 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users