Photo

Garden Suites in The City of Victoria

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#121 Nparker

Nparker
  • 32,540 posts

Posted 27 April 2022 - 10:46 AM

Property owners should be able to plunk a shipping container down in their yard and call it a tiny home. If it's good enough for the Province it should be good enough for the CoV.

#122 aastra

aastra
  • 17,573 posts

Posted 27 April 2022 - 11:18 AM

They should revise the rules to allow a modern yurt. then you would see some infill. Cronies won't profit though.

The truth yurts.

• Nparker, Matt R. and dasmo like this

#123 dasmo

dasmo
  • 8,141 posts

Posted 27 April 2022 - 11:19 AM

Property owners should be able to plunk a shipping container down in their yard and call it a tiny home. If it's good enough for the Province it should be good enough for the CoV.

That too. When I built my house I think the permit process alone cost a crap load. And I did most of the work myself in terms of drawings, design and paperwork. Still the fees, the arborist, the biologist came out to thousands. Just to get permission. I'm glad they don't truly enforce the rules they made. Otherwise I still need to plant 12 trees or else pay the corporation $300 for each one not planted ( I did plant 4). Now add in the step code and it's going to cost a small fortune to build your garden suite! 

#124 aastra

aastra
  • 17,573 posts

Posted 27 April 2022 - 11:19 AM

If it's good enough for the Province it should be good enough for the CoV.

Governments and corporations are allowed to be outrageous and ridiculous. Ordinary people are held to a higher standard.

• Nparker and dasmo like this

#125 aastra

aastra
  • 17,573 posts

Posted 27 April 2022 - 11:24 AM

When I built my house I think the permit process alone cost a crap load. And I did most of the work myself in terms of drawings, design and paperwork. Still the fees, the arborist, the biologist came out to thousands. Just to get permission. I'm glad they don't truly enforce the rules they made. Otherwise I still need to plant 12 trees or else pay the corporation $300 for each one not planted ( I did plant 4). Now add in the step code and it's going to cost a small fortune to build your garden suite!

When you built your house there was no housing crisis*, so all of those rules and measures designed to aggravate the housing situation were commendable and justified.

*I'm assuming you built your house prior to 1891.

• Nparker and dasmo like this

#126 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 70,181 posts

Posted 27 April 2022 - 01:11 PM

We’re a city of ruin.

Being ruined since 1843, I mean.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#127 Nparker

Nparker
  • 32,540 posts

Posted 27 April 2022 - 01:39 PM

We’re a city of ruin. Being ruined since 1843, I mean.

Now that's the anti-settler sentiment I like to see.  :thumbsup:

#128 aastra

aastra
  • 17,573 posts

Posted 28 April 2022 - 08:48 PM

Now that's the anti-settler sentiment I like to see.

Settle down. I find the anti-settler sentiment to be unsettling. But I have a feeling we're never going to settle this argument so I'll settle in and await the rebuttals. This is VV after all. I could hardly settle for less.

#129 spanky123

spanky123
  • 18,832 posts

Posted 29 April 2022 - 06:57 AM

Call it a non-profit shipping container and a City staffer can approve it for you!

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#130 Nparker

Nparker
  • 32,540 posts

Posted 29 April 2022 - 07:04 AM

Call it a non-profit shipping container and a City staffer can approve it for you!

With provincial rent controls in place, it's almost guaranteed to be a non-profit endeavour eventually.

#131 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 32,741 posts

Posted 16 May 2022 - 05:19 PM

The first 19 months of the District of Saanich’s garden suite program have seen nearly 50 per cent of applicants approved for their projects.

Of the more than 100 projects received by the municipality’s planning department as of the beginning of May, 50 had been approved for development permits.

Having been asked to report back in a year after the regulations were enacted in October 2020, staff tallied the numbers and found 57 of the 67 garden suite applications received by October 2021 were for new garden suites, while 10 were for converting existing accessory buildings to legal suites.

https://www.vicnews....als-mayor-says/

Based on feedback received over the first year and information contained in the staff update, council on May 9 proposed a number of improvements to the program. Among those are to allow garden suites in side yards and front yards, as well in RS-zoned properties that are not within the district’s Sewer Service Area, and to expand approval authority for these development permits. Several minor changes to the regulatory framework to improve clarity and enhance process efficiency were also proposed.

Any approved changes will be monitored and outcomes reviewed for the two-year review of the program.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 May 2022 - 05:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users