- - - - -

Atlas Stereo and TV

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:42 AM

I guess they are now called Atlas AVU, but I'm going by their old name because Atlas Stereo and TV was their name for decades. Has anyone else noticed the radical change? Not just in the location and size of the new(ish) store (i'd say it's probably 6X the size of the old store on Fort St.) but also the stuff they sell? For a long time Hitachi was the main brand that Atlas carried but now they carry stuff by Denon, Marantz, NAD, Rega, Sonos, NAIM, Bryston, Totem, Boston Acoustics, Paradigm, Martin Logan and PSB. Any audiophiles (i'm a recovering audiophile myself:D) will know right away these brands are not like Hitachi used to be, they have gone decidely upmarket. For decades Sound Hounds pretty much had a monopoly on high-end audio equipment in Victoria but if they're not careful Atlas could put them out of business. :o
In chains by Keynes

#2 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:14 AM

Atlas became an Audio Video Unlimited franchisee several years ago which is why the name changed.

#3 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:26 AM

I guess they are now called Atlas AVU, but I'm going by their old name because Atlas Stereo and TV was their name for decades. Has anyone else noticed the radical change? Not just in the location and size of the new(ish) store (i'd say it's probably 6X the size of the old store on Fort St.) but also the stuff they sell? For a long time Hitachi was the main brand that Atlas carried but now they carry stuff by Denon, Marantz, NAD, Rega, Sonos, NAIM, Bryston, Totem, Boston Acoustics, Paradigm, Martin Logan and PSB. Any audiophiles (i'm a recovering audiophile myself:D) will know right away these brands are not like Hitachi used to be, they have gone decidely upmarket. For decades Sound Hounds pretty much had a monopoly on high-end audio equipment in Victoria but if they're not careful Atlas could put them out of business. :o

I personally like their product line - I would never buy it in Canada because I can get it on amazon.com for hundreds cheaper, but some people like (paying for) the personal touch.

If you miss the low-market products, can I suggest some Curtis products from Crappy Tire to scratch that itch? :D

#4 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:26 PM

If you miss the low-market products, can I suggest some Curtis products from Crappy Tire to scratch that itch? :D

Somehow you deduced the exact opposite of what I think because i'm actually really impressed with the products they carry now. :confused:
In chains by Keynes

#5 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:45 PM

Hey, my first real radio when I was a kid was a Curtis radio :P

I've since upgraded quite a bit and have found that there are a lot of great deals to be had in the used market, especially with speakers.

I've been to Atlas a couple of times and their product line has been quite nice, and with their new showroom they've got even more space for an expanded line up.

I live a stones throw away from Sound Hounds but have only been in there once. Different market and I don't think Sound Hounds has much to worry about.

I was also impressed by the service I received at Mckay's Home Theater.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#6 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:50 PM

Somehow you deduced the exact opposite of what I think because i'm actually really impressed with the products they carry now. :confused:

Nope - you just deduced the exact opposite meaning I was trying to convey. Plus, it was a chance to work the Curtis line of products into a conversation. Next week: Tandy. :cool:

#7 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:51 PM

I was also impressed by the service I received at Mckay's Home Theater.

McKay's price matched an online US competitor for me on a TV. They've been winning my business from then on.

#8 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:15 PM

Atlas became an Audio Video Unlimited franchisee several years ago which is why the name changed.

I prefer to buy my stuff from Atlas instead of the guys at UpTown, as they will price match the big stores.

#9 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:33 AM

^So it shouldn't matter where you buy your electronic goodies from then unless you think you are supporting the home team by buying from Atlas which isn't really true because AVU stores (like Atlas) are all over Canada just like Past Shop and Worst Buy. I would also argue that Atlas now is a big store just like the others.

Plus, it was a chance to work the Curtis line of products into a conversation. Next week: Tandy.

LOL!

I live a stones throw away from Sound Hounds but have only been in there once. Different market and I don't think Sound Hounds has much to worry about.

Sebberry, my point was, it's not a different market they are going after. They are both trying to appeal to deep-pocketed audiophiles (although Atlas also has video) which is why they are going to hurt each other. For almost 40 years Sound Hounds had a monopoly in town on expensive high-end audio equipment. I just hope they can both survive going after such a niche market in a city this size because if they do it will be good for the consumer.
In chains by Keynes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users