• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:51 AM

Hi Marko,

My wife is interested in becoming a realtor. What's the best way to do that?
Also, what's the situation like for Realtors out there right now?

Thanks.

#2 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,770 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:33 AM

Hello Mark,

• Becoming a REALTOR® is relatively easy. You can use this as a resource -> http://www.recbc.ca/...ing/career.html I had an engineering friend do the course in about 4 weeks (literally). For the average person it would probably take those 2 to 4 months depending on how much free time you have. You have a maximum of one year to complete it and then you write the exam and go from there. All the expenses including course/insurance/board fees/etc. to get your started will run approximately $4,000 to $5,000. Your monthly fees will be approximately $350 to over $1,000 depending on which brokerage you are with.
  • What is the situation like? Depends. On average not very good; however, with the industry in a huge amount of flux there are opportunities. You really have to be very creative to generate business unless you are extremely established in Victoria with tons of connections. In my opinion, most new REALTORS® with the business model of the last 40 years won't make it longer than 2 years.

• Brayvehart likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:44 PM

Craigslist today, in the help wanted section. Would you choose this guy/gal as your Realtor?

New Agent Needs Help! (Victoria)
I just moved to Victoria from Calgary and am just starting out as a real estate agent (I just past the exam); can anyone give some good solid advise about how to be successful in real estate in Victoria.

http://victoria.en.c...3745179079.html
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:51 PM

^Nice find.

Can anyone give some good solid advise about how to be successful in real estate in Victoria.

I recommend completing your Grade 8.
  • Mixed365 likes this
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:53 PM

^ Don't forget:

I just past the exam

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#6 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:32 PM

Based on the spelling in many MLS descriptions, that guy will fit in perfectly

#7 songheesguy

songheesguy
  • 144 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 04:49 PM

Just a pointer from someone who sold 3 homes last year (2 local and 1 condo in Langley) One realtor here gave me a personalized Cutco knife, the girl in Langley (small condo 500k sale price)a gift box with 2 champagne flutes, bottle of champagne,a professional photo book keepsake of my condo she sold and a $150 gift card to any Global restaurant and a thank you card..... the other guy local did nothing not even a thank you card. Guess who I won't use again? The girl hit a home run and her services by far exceeded the others or any realtor I have ever used. 

• Mike K. likes this

#8 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,770 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 August 2018 - 09:31 PM

Just a pointer from someone who sold 3 homes last year (2 local and 1 condo in Langley) One realtor here gave me a personalized Cutco knife, the girl in Langley (small condo 500k sale price)a gift box with 2 champagne flutes, bottle of champagne,a professional photo book keepsake of my condo she sold and a $150 gift card to any Global restaurant and a thank you card..... the other guy local did nothing not even a thank you card. Guess who I won't use again? The girl hit a home run and her services by far exceeded the others or any realtor I have ever used. 

I am a little confused.....did you pay them all the same amount for the same service where the only difference was a gift? Personally I am going where the best value is via combination of lowest fees and the best service, not a bottle of champagne. I've never done gifts to my clients as they tend to appreciates the $1,000s in savings. The other week on the purchasing end I crossed over $1,000,000 cash back to my buyers :)

• Mike K. likes this

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 10 October 2021 - 06:41 AM

Curtis Lindsay of REMAX wrote the following on Twitter, which we discussed in another thread a little while ago. It’s important to keep this in mind:

So many new REALTORS, best of luck to them all. After 13yrs I can tell you a few truths: 1) avg Agent makes $50k or less 2) Top 20% of Agents do 80% of sales 3) avg Agent sells less than 7 units 4) you won’t “make money” for first 5yrs. No healthcare/days off/sick days or pension

https://twitter.com/...5493517316?s=21

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 10 October 2021 - 07:23 AM

Marko: You have appealed to the Scotsman in me. What sort of cash back on my sale listing of over 3.5 in Rockland. Priced to sell quickly.

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 10 October 2021 - 07:44 AM

Barrister, you’re moving out of Victoria!?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#12 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 10 October 2021 - 08:35 AM

Trying to, the downtown has turned into a bit of a cesspool. 

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 10 October 2021 - 08:39 AM

Will you stay within the CRD?

Know it all.

#14 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,003 posts

Posted 10 October 2021 - 08:40 AM

10 Mile Point is nice.

#15 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 10 October 2021 - 09:02 AM

You might want to look at rural Saanich outside the Urban Containment Boundary.

That’s where we contain the urbans on the other side of the virtual wall.

Ok let me have it. I deserve it. :)
  • Szeven likes this

#16 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,770 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 October 2021 - 11:45 AM

Marko: You have appealed to the Scotsman in me. What sort of cash back on my sale listing of over 3.5 in Rockland. Priced to sell quickly.

There is no cash back on listings (just a lower commission). More info here -> https://markojuras.c...ervice-listing/

#17 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 21 July 2022 - 08:29 AM

Kamloops realtor suspended after being caught on camera drinking milk from client’s fridge

“…He then takes out a jug of milk and drinks directly from the container..”

https://cfjctoday.co...clients-fridge/

I guess it’s something to specify with the realtor

Edited by todd, 21 July 2022 - 08:34 AM.

• Matt R. and Daveyboy like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users