Provincial Capital Commission

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:48 PM

Veteran Victoria Coun. Geoff Young has resigned from the Provincial Capital Commission board, the day after the province announced in its new budget that some of the agency’s property would go on the market.

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz1nBmzudoU

#2 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:22 AM

This is big news. We need a PCC thread. Is that politics or land development?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#3 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:32 AM

I think it is politics. I will start a thread when I get to work. It's land undevelopment.

#4 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:56 AM

Many people don't realize how much prime property the PCC owns. Not only a lot of prominent harbour properties, but they also own their headquarters on Pandora across from City Hall.

I admire Geoff Young for stepping down from the PCC board in protest of this fire sale of prime land. I note that Councillor Ben Isitt is also a PCC board member. Although he has been very vocal about selling off public land I doubt he would step down as he was only recently appointed and would not want to give up that seat.

#5 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:27 AM

Do they own the Harbourfront parking lots or is that the city?

It could be a good thing.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#6 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:45 AM

I understand the City owns some, the Province directly owns some and the PCC owns some.

When the Belleville Terminal future plan was developed a few years ago, the panel proposed the City swap the terminal land with the PCC's Quadra Park property across the street. That way, the Province would control the port and Victoria would own the park.

I think the Reid site at the foot of Fort is Provincial. It is not PCC land. Milestones and the Tourism Information building nearby is PCC.

I know it gets very confusing. Add in the land controlled by the Greater Victoria Harbour Authority and the harbour lands owned by Transport Canada and other federal agencies it is a real tangle.

#7 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:49 PM

I understand the City owns some, the Province directly owns some and the PCC owns some.

When the Belleville Terminal future plan was developed a few years ago, the panel proposed the City swap the terminal land with the PCC's Quadra Park property across the street. That way, the Province would control the port and Victoria would own the park.

I think the Reid site at the foot of Fort is Provincial. It is not PCC land. Milestones and the Tourism Information building nearby is PCC.

I know it gets very confusing. Add in the land controlled by the Greater Victoria Harbour Authority and the harbour lands owned by Transport Canada and other federal agencies it is a real tangle.

Any chance of a parcel map with ownership?

#8 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:38 PM

I personally think the PCC is a waste of time and energy and should be wrapped up ASAP.

#9 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:52 PM

I personally think the PCC is a waste of time and energy and should be wrapped up ASAP.

Agreed.

I also agree with the province that surplus land that can be put to a more effective use through privatization should be sold. The parking lot in James Bay is an excellent example of this.

#10 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:04 PM

Start here and pay attention to the "Parks and Green space" where it says they have acquired quite a number of properties since the 50's.

http://www.bcpcc.com/properties.php

I don't think we should be selling off this property just because the current government is deficit financing against legislation.

Selling off of property that has been accumulated for over a half a century, for the benefit of the public should be a planned event complete with open consultation.

Bernard, why would you say such a thing?

#11 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:08 PM

Two more appointees resign from PCC board. Dean Murdock and Nichola Wade call it quits. Isitt stays.

http://www.timescolo...8640/story.html

#12 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:50 PM

Start here and pay attention to the "Parks and Green space" where it says they have acquired quite a number of properties since the 50's.

http://www.bcpcc.com/properties.php

I don't think we should be selling off this property just because the current government is deficit financing against legislation.

Selling off of property that has been accumulated for over a half a century, for the benefit of the public should be a planned event complete with open consultation.

Bernard, why would you say such a thing?

It is alarming to say the least when public land is sold under secrecy.

#13 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:15 PM

I have never seen a map like that and don't know if one exists. It would be amazing to see every plot of land around the harbour colour coded by owner. I'm sure it would look like a crazy quilt with a dozen different colours

#14 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:17 PM

If Provincial property is sold as part of a strategic plan, it can fetch a good price for it. In this case it looks like it will be dumped on the market and buyers can pick it up at fire sale prices.

A potential PCC spinoff could be the Stores Building. It could be put into play as part of the Belleville redevelopment--perhaps a small version of Canoe brewpub.

Another potential sale could be the Crystal Garden but I don't think the City has the funds to buy it. Also, it's the crown jewel in the PCC portfolio.

If I were Ben Isitt, I would say that because his time on the PCC board has been short, resigning would have little practical impact. Remaining on the board and being a pitbull on the topic of the sale of PCC land will have more influence. Better to fight from inside the tent than outside is what I'd say.

#15 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:02 PM

^ Well said Rob.

#16 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:43 PM

The green space that is park like land should all be transferred to the CRD or a local municipality. The PCC has no resources to manage lands like that.

The PCC has also done very little I can see that makes it relevant to this city. As an example the PCC has never done anything to restore the Art Deco building at the corner of Wharf and Government - the currently hideous tourist information space. They have also ignored the Stores building as far as I can tell. They are also owners of two of the parking lots on the inner harbour. If they had any thought about improving the experience of the city they would have redeveloped those unneeded parking lot eyesores.

The PCC owns the Crystal Garden, but only seems to act as a landlord and nothing else

#17 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:01 PM

^ Are you joking about the Tourist info booth? First they have done a ton of work on it. That was about 10 years ago and do you know what it used to be? A service station. Someone has the pic I am sure.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#18 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:22 PM

^ Are you joking about the Tourist info booth? First they have done a ton of work on it. That was about 10 years ago and do you know what it used to be? A service station. Someone has the pic I am sure.

You can still see the Imperial lettering if you look in the right light. Also Bernard, what is now Milestones used to be a parking garage. What a lovely use for our waterfront (oh, I forgot, it would fit right in).

#19 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:53 PM

True, the Visitor Info Centre has had several renovations over the years. There is a photo around here showing it in the 80s, after its use as the Coho dock/service station but before Milestones and the ground floor amenities were built. And then the search light was restored and clock faces added to the tower.

Bob Plecas of CBC's political panel was giving the PCC hell for not being able to pull the trigger on developing those parking lots. After listening to the pundits I gather that the Province was getting impatient with the PCC, took away their independence a few months ago so all decisions had to go through Ida Chong's office.They can't do much without power.

#20 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:44 PM

Rezoning rules must apply in PCC selloff, ex-members say [...]

http://www.timescolo...9568/story.html

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users