Pat Bay Highway (Highway 17) discussion

• Please log in to reply
399 replies to this topic

#81 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:31 AM

Ever seen traffic lights at a roundabout?

yup.

Seen loads of them in the UK and France. Driven on a few 3 lane roundabouts which are quite exciting, but seem to work well. What I did observe was roundabouts seem to work great in areas with few traffic signals around them. i.e. if there is a traffic light 300 yards further on a main road such as what we have with Blanshard then the congestion just moves further along.

But you either love them or hate them. Personally I think they are great. I think its one of these situations where if you have them then you need to have lots so that they become effective.

#82 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:44 PM

I think the design of the ones at MacTavish are destined for failure if traffic ever increases. The roundabouts are small and really single laned. The craziest part is for anyone wanting to go north on #17 from the Airport, they need go half around the first roundabout and then 80% around the second one.

The roundabouts allow very little space for traffic in the circle which means the entrances will be easily blocked and a lot of people will be waiting.

#83 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,561 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:05 PM

I've already experienced congestion at the roundabout. Go out there when traffic is heading out of the airport, traffic is heading to the airport, and it's rush hour with more vehicles generally crossing the interchange and you'll see a little bit of mayhem.

No doubt it'll get worse as the immediate area develops and YYJ's flights increase.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#84 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:16 PM

I drive over it every day at both rush hours. Believe me, it's nothing compared to the traffic back ups that were there before they built it.

#85 phx

phx
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:13 PM

Ever seen traffic lights at a roundabout?

No, I haven't. Wouldn't traffic lights defeat the purpose?

#86 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:54 PM

Why was the overpass at Helmcken built, was there a big traffic tie up there, more so than Mckenzie?

There never seems to be any traffic on it when I go over it.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#87 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:04 PM

I'm guessing that hospital access was a consideration for the Helmcken overpass.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#88 snaptee

snaptee
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:20 AM

I guess you guys never did that commute prior to the early 90s. It was pretty bad, worse than what we see today although it won't be long now.

#89 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:51 AM

Why was the overpass at Helmcken built, was there a big traffic tie up there, more so than Mckenzie?

One lane each way on the Trans Canada, one lane each way on Helmcken. Combine this with a stoplight and it was getting to be a mess.

Helmcken was a main north south artery between the Old Island Highway serving View Royal and Colwood and connecting these areas with the Saanich Penninsula. (There seems to be more options now to accomplish this....McKenzie is one.)

The growth that has taken place in Langford has opened up more options as well. In other words if you were heading to Sooke years ago, you travelled through Colwood. Now you can use Spencer / Jacklin as well as Memorial.

This eases up the current day traffic on Helmcken as well.

#90 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,561 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:55 AM

Yikes, heading out towards the westshore from any point in Saanich is getty nasty nowadays. It's not uncommon for congestion on Helmcken to stretch between the TC and West Saanich Road.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#91 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:36 PM

Yikes, heading out towards the westshore from any point in Saanich is getty nasty nowadays. It's not uncommon for congestion on Helmcken to stretch between the TC and West Saanich Road.

Honestly Helmcken/Wilkinson should be a four lane road, not two lane. Honestly we need to have more of our arterial roads be four lane - Interurban, Craigflower, and Admirals are the other ones that come to mind

#92 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:32 PM

^I agree, but Frank Leonard has stated specifically that they will not make any improvments to Wilkinson as they don't want to encourage more traffic to utilize it.

#93 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:40 PM

^I agree, but Frank Leonard has stated specifically that they will not make any improvments to Wilkinson as they don't want to encourage more traffic to utilize it.

I know - another example of small thinking on the part of a local municipality

#94 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:41 PM

One lane each way on the Trans Canada, one lane each way on Helmcken. Combine this with a stoplight and it was getting to be a mess.

Oh, that does sound ugly. If I use Wilkinson road now it is clogged during rush hours until you get close to the hospital then it dissipates into nothing.

It seems a little overbuilt as you are heading southbond toward TCH, four lanes of traffic and basically at least two are always empty. Then once you cross over and continue southbound it squeezes down to one lane.
Don't know if that is a problem at rush hour or not.

Last night we were going to Oak Bay at about 6pm. The traffic westbound on the TCH was lined up from Mackenzie back to Uptown. And here was an ambulance rushing through the traffic at about 3-5mph. If hospital access was a factor in building Helmcken overpass you would think the same consideration would be given to Mckenzie. I wouldn't want to have been the patient in the ambulance trying to get to the hospital.

#95 phx

phx
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:46 PM

There isn't a lot you can do within the existing right-of-way on Wilkinson.
It would be much easier to upgrade McKenzie.

#96 stormy

stormy
  • 361 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:02 PM

I go Carey...Marigold....Burnside, then zip down by the hospital to hook up with the highway again. Can't stand sitting in that highway traffic.

#97 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:13 PM

There isn't a lot you can do within the existing right-of-way on Wilkinson.
It would be much easier to upgrade McKenzie.

"Upgrade" is very subjective. What value of upgrade do you suggest? I think you mean widen to allow more motor vehicle traffic, which doesn't fit my definition of upgrade.

#98 phx

phx
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:11 PM

What value of upgrade do you suggest?

Does it matter? I expect you'll continue with your dogma regardless.

#99 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:03 PM

Upgrading Mckenzie Ave is a bit tricky, as there are many residences, appartments and commerical properties along its corridor. You can't add lanes, as there is no room.

#100 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:05 PM

I actually agree with him on that.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users