Shaw Open - Wifi Wireless Internet throughout Victoria

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:11 AM

Shaw is implementing wifi hotspots throughout the CRD that will be free of charge for existing Shaw customers.

The decision to implement the hotspots partly stems from Shaw backing out of plans to create a cellphone network, according to a Shaw marketing representative whom I met with yesterday.

So while Shaw won't be offering cellphone services, the company has decided to offer free wifi to Shaw customers as a means of making their presence felt among mobile phone and tablet users that predominantly rely on overly expensive data plans or random wifi hotspots.

:cheers:

This will undoubtedly impact the wifi projects currently gaining steam in downtown Victoria and other areas, discussed here.

Mods, I've put this in the infrastructure sub-forum as Shaw's system will likely be much more robust and profound than the patchwork of wifi connections currently available.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:20 AM

Shaw is implementing wifi hotspots throughout the CRD that will be free of charge for existing Shaw customers.

The decision to implement the hotspots partly stems from Shaw backing out of plans to create a cellphone network, according to a Shaw marketing representative whom I met with yesterday.

So while Shaw won't be offering cellphone services, the company has decided to offer free wifi to Shaw customers as a means of making their presence felt among mobile phone and tablet users that predominantly rely on overly expensive data plans or random wifi hotspots.

:cheers:

This will undoubtedly impact the wifi projects currently gaining steam in downtown Victoria and other areas, discussed here.

Mods, I've put this in the infrastructure sub-forum as Shaw's system will likely be much more robust and profound than the patchwork of wifi connections currently available.

Can someone buy time/space on this system, even if they don't have Shaw at home/work? What's the timeline here? Aren't the smart-meter people going to object to all those extra radio signals going right through their brains?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:22 AM

Not sure about buying time. Sounds like a reasonable way of making revenue from the service, though.

I've seen a Shaw hotspot at Douglas and Broughton. I didn't login as I had no need at the moment but it's there for someone to test and report back for us :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:25 AM

Sparky, what's the protocol for logging on and identifying yourself as a Shaw customer? ie. can I use a friend's account?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:18 AM

The Shaw Wifi network is growing daily, last ime i looked there was 7 or 8 in Victoria. Now it hits that density in some downtown blocks. It's the main reason i bought a playbook. Vancouver and Calgary got a head start in the building also

http://shaw.ca/wifi/

#6 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:22 PM

Sparky, what's the protocol for logging on and identifying yourself as a Shaw customer? ie. can I use a friend's account?

You logon with your email address ( which obviously ends in @shaw.ca)
and your password.

This is the same password that you set up with shaw to access your email or webmail.

My pasword is 4%67u*9098&^50896435+_=_)(&^$# :)

#7 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:04 PM

Best part is that when you move around it automatially grabs your cached username and password so you don't have to keep logging in to each new hotspot.

#8 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:07 PM

I'm surprised the stop smart meter people aren't all over this...

EDIT: Just saw VHF already brought that up :P

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#9 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:12 PM

Two issues with this: Password sharing and data usage.

If you give out your logon information, anyone using your account will contribute to your monthly data cap. Probably not a big deal for browsing the web, but if you give your login info to someone not so honest, then you could be looking at data charges.

Password sharing could be avoided by creating a new email address on your Shaw account, and giving that login to your friend. Data usage will still apply, but you don't have to worry about your friend poking around your email inbox.

It's likely against the TOS agreement, however.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#10 LJ

LJ
  • 12,747 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:13 PM

Two issues with this: Password sharing and data usage.

Probably not a big deal for browsing the web, but if you give your login info to someone not so honest, then you could be looking at data charges.

Or police charges, if they happen to prefer child **rnography or some such.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#11 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:23 PM

Very true.

This is why I don't give out access :P

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:56 PM

^ and ^^ Nobody in this country has ever been convicted of child **rn possession/distribution without having evidence physically on their computer.

#13 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:28 PM

^ I tried to prove you wrong VHF with research.....and it looks like you are correct. :)

#14 LJ

LJ
  • 12,747 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:22 PM

^ and ^^ Nobody in this country has ever been convicted of child **rn possession/distribution without having evidence physically on their computer.

It doesn't mean that they don't get a search warrant and show up at your house and maybe perp walk you out, with all the attendant media coverage.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#15 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:14 AM

So once complete does this mean I can drop my Bell data plan as long as I never go to Toronto? If so, nice that's an extra $50 a month for two phone data plans I can drop.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:26 AM

Correct. Although I doubt you'd have access to the Internet "everywhere" like you do with a dataplan through your carrier.

What I appreciate with this service is you'll now be able to reduce your monthly data plan with your provider to their bare minimum which should save you some money.

Know it all.

#17 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:00 PM

Only if you have Shaw. I really hope that the DVBA and others continue with their plans.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:20 AM

Only if you have Shaw. I really hope that the DVBA and others continue with their plans.

Victoria's public Wi-Fi expands

Shaw deal will see wider availability of Wi-Fi in recreation centres, parks

By Times Colonist December 8, 2012

Victoria is widening its Wi-Fi footprint to include recreation centres, some parks and more downtown streets.

More: http://www.timescolo...1081/story.html

I'm OK with this deal, as it is not an exclusive with SHAW. Others can step in and offer the same type of service. 60 minutes per month seems a bit weak for non-Shaw customers, but whatever.

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:08 PM

Shaw had major internet problems yesterday. Half the city could not access various websites including VV and other websites residing on our servers.

Know it all.

#20 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:09 PM

Yup vv was out pretty much for me all afternoon and night using a shaw place. Telus at my office was fine.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users