84 replies to this topic

#21 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:36 AM

That sounds good:

http://www.seawings.ca/
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#22 RMAC

RMAC

Local for life

• 7 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:59 PM

This campaign can't be serious. Have you read their 7 Reason to Shop Local? None of the arguments comes even close to being economically sound. So local vendors expect me to buy local out of the goodness of my heart? I'm sorry, I've not had a raise in over two years and I'm not in a position to pay such a luxurious premium.

There is a reason that trade works: it drives prices down. The only local vendors I make a point to shop at deserve my business because what they offer in terms of service makes it worthwhile to ignore the economic argument. Slater's Meats comes to mind, as does Frontrunners (at least that was the case when I actually got out there and ran).

I think what really turned me off of this whole campaign was the news story they ran on CTV2 last night, where they interviewed Elizabeth Cull. She's done enough damage to our economy- I'll be damned if she gets any more of my money, especially when I can buy the same or similar wares from amazon.com for a fraction of the price.

Personally I love the "Shop Local Victoria" Movement. There are lots of these types of movements happening all over the world and the economic spin off for communities like Victoria area huge.

I do agree with Bob Fugger though. You can't expect individuals to chose a local business based on the fact that they are local. You need to offer something that differentiates yourself. In my opinion local business are missing the mark in 2 ways.

1) I can't find them online. There are few local retailers in Victoria that have the web presence to be found online when I'm in the research stage of my buying cycle. If I'm looking for larger ticket item, I do allot of research online. If I can't see what you are offering you're not even part of the equation. I don't have the time to run around town hoping that you have product I'm looking for. If I knew you had it I would come down to see it, feel it, try it on and you could probably sell it to me right then and there.

2) Different Products or Services. If you don't offer anything different than buying online or in a big box store... I'm going with the cheapest. Give me something to justify the extra money. Not a guilt trip on how my money is going to help the community. How about better service, better product, better shopping experience, set up of the product.... something that offset the extra costs.

#23 RMAC

RMAC

Local for life

• 7 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:03 PM

The ShopLocalVictoria organizers are having a press conference at 5:00pm today. The mayor is launching it.

#24 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:30 PM

Welcome to Vibrant Victoria RMAC

#25 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:23 PM

The ShopLocalVictoria organizers are having a press conference at 5:00pm today. The mayor is launching it.

Mike K. and I were lucky enough to be invited to the opening event of this movement.

It was essentially a reception for the participating merchants to pick up all their POS materials and mix a bit. The real launch with an advertising campaign, and a contest for shoppers starts in about 10 days, or maybe a week.

Then they will continue with another program though the summer, no details announced, and another aimed at the Christmas season.

There wasn't much covered tonight that wasn't already on their website.

This is more regional than the DVBA covers, so they won't be involved much, although they did provide some in-kind support like meeting space while the thing was getting setting up.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#26 RMAC

RMAC

Local for life

• 7 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:07 PM

Mike K. and I were lucky enough to be invited to the opening event of this movement.

It was essentially a reception for the participating merchants to pick up all their POS materials and mix a bit. The real launch with an advertising campaign, and a contest for shoppers starts in about 10 days, or maybe a week.

Then they will continue with another program though the summer, no details announced, and another aimed at the Christmas season.

There wasn't much covered tonight that wasn't already on their website.

This is more regional than the DVBA covers, so they won't be involved much, although they did provide some in-kind support like meeting space while the thing was getting setting up.

It sounds like they should be able to do some good for awareness. What was the buzz in the room? Did everyone think it was a good idea? Or just a waste of marketing money?
RMAC - Love Local

#27 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:17 PM

It sounds like they should be able to do some good for awareness. What was the buzz in the room? Did everyone think it was a good idea? Or just a waste of marketing money?

I think 95% of the people in the room had pitched in some money, so I think they are on board.

#28 RMAC

RMAC

Local for life

• 7 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:31 PM

I think 95% of the people in the room had pitched in some money, so I think they are on board.

Ya the buy in was $195 per company. It just seems like a lot of hype with not very much meat. Small business need to compete not guilt consumers into spending money. It seems a bit short sighted. What happens when the marketing runs out? At $195 per member the money won't last long!
RMAC - Love Local

#29 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:33 PM

Still having a problem with the premise. I don't think it is consumers who need to change their behaviour, it is the local businesses.

#30 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:00 AM

Personally I love the "Shop Local Victoria" Movement. There are lots of these types of movements happening all over the world and the economic spin off for communities like Victoria area huge.

The global shop local movement. I like it. :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#31 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:50 PM

I shop local if there is a benefit for me, if there is not someone else will get my business. Businesses are not charities, they operate in a competitive environment.

#32 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:17 PM

I shop local if there is a benefit for me, if there is not someone else will get my business. Businesses are not charities, they operate in a competitive environment.

THANK YOU. :cheers:

#33 RMAC

RMAC

Local for life

• 7 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:02 PM

THANK YOU. :cheers:

Stay tuned for more Shop Local advertising! June 1 - 10, 2012 is Shop Local Victoria Week. I really hope this is more than just advertising. The money being spent on this could have improved their websites and given me a glimpse into their stores so I can compare prices and know that I'm not wasting my time to find out they don't have what I'm looking for.
RMAC - Love Local

#34 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:33 AM

Stay tuned for more Shop Local advertising! June 1 - 10, 2012 is Shop Local Victoria Week.

An in an unrelated event:

Duty-free limits loosened today to $200 for 24-hour trip, $800 for 48-hour trip

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...estiny-usa.html

#35 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:10 AM

An in an unrelated event:

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...estiny-usa.html

I'm going to celebrate Shop Local Week by deferring the purchases I planned on making that week until the Canada Day long weekend, when I can I buy them for pennies on the dollar in the US! :thumbsup:

#36 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:07 AM

What can you buy for pennies on the dollar in the US?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#37 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:18 AM

What can you buy for pennies on the dollar in the US?

Lots of stuff. For example, here's a satellite radio component from amazon, at $25.00 plus $7.99 shipping. The same satellite radio component in Canada direct from the manufacturer goes for $119.99. Both are NIB and both are subject to the same manufacturer's warranty.

Sure it's an obscure example: but, an example nonetheless. I'm sure that there are thousands if not more examples out there. /canada_fail :farmer:

#38 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:22 AM

Lots of stuff. For example, here's a satellite radio component from amazon, at $25.00 plus $7.99 shipping. The same satellite radio component in Canada direct from the manufacturer goes for $119.99. Both are NIB and both are subject to the same manufacturer's warranty.

Sure it's an obscure example: but, an example nonetheless. I'm sure that there are thousands if not more examples out there. /canada_fail :farmer:

How much can you get a Nanaimo Bar for in the US?

#39 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:24 AM

How much can you get a Nanaimo Bar for in the US?

Who would want one? Those things are sickly sweet. :(

#40 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:30 AM

Sure it's an obscure example: but, an example nonetheless. I'm sure that there are thousands if not more examples out there. /canada_fail

But you can't physically walk up to "Amazon" and buy the thing for pennies on the dollar -- you'll still have to order it and have it shipped to an American address or a middleman. And what's stopping you from having the thing shipped up to Canada?

As for that unit at that price on Amazon it's being sold by a third party dealer with only 4 ratings. Considering all other retailers selling this unit have priced it for $60 and up, I'd say what you're likely buying for $25 is a stolen or refurbished unit.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)