• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#81 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 07:50 PM

I take mine with a side of gluten. 

http://www.robp.ca

Edited by todd, 21 April 2016 - 07:50 PM.

#82 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 07:55 PM

I am afraid your points were lost on me todd. I'll take a nice marching band over a group of noisy protesters any day. Do the anti-GMO-ers really think representatives from Monsanto will be at the BC Legislature on May 21st?

• sebberry and tedward like this

#83 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 07:59 PM

Monsanto is a $16B/yr. company.  If anyone wants to disagree with what they do, simply stop buying food that is produced using their products.  It's easy to find online lists of companies to avoid.

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#84 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:15 PM

Monsanto is a $16B/yr. company.  If anyone wants to disagree with what they do, simply stop buying food that is produced using their products.  It's easy to find online lists of companies to avoid.

But once a GMO plant cross pollinates with a non-GMO plant the non-GMO plant now possesses GMO DNA and becomes a GMO plant, so were doomed.

http://www.scientifi...-modified-crop/

Edited by todd, 21 April 2016 - 08:16 PM.

#85 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:24 PM

Yeah if there's some truth behind the effect on bees it's not really enough to just stop buying their food.

I know my bees keep dying. It's bloody annoying.

#86 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:07 PM

Yeah if there's some truth behind the effect on bees it's not really enough to just stop buying their food.

I know my bees keep dying. It's bloody annoying.

Even if your bees live if they been buzzing around GMO plants you now have GMO honey. 

#87 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 10:06 PM

Even if your bees live if they been buzzing around GMO plants you now have GMO honey. 

When was that Monsanto rally again?  My pitchfork and bee suit are ready to go.

#88 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 06:04 AM

March Against Monsanto displaces parade performers.

http://www.cheknews.ca/166864-166864/

Who is the moron that made this mistake?

Wonder how many floats and marching bands the tent city / dance dance contingent will displace during the parade!

#89 insanelydeadlydisease

insanelydeadlydisease
  • 311 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 10:59 AM

As if this was a mistake.

• Nparker likes this

#90 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 11:37 AM

March Against Monsanto displaces parade performers.

http://www.cheknews.ca/166864-166864/

Who is the moron that made this mistake?

Did the bands have an ongoing understanding with the legislature that they had a standing booking for the last 40 years for the Victoria Day long weekend. Or did they have to manually book year after year? 

If the bands screwed up on their side I don't see why the Monsanto protesters should have to accommodate, but if the bands had a standing booking they obviously have priority as they would have booked before the Monsanto protesters.

Who books a protest? Isn't that just a festival? 

Edited by todd, 22 April 2016 - 11:43 AM.

#91 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 11:54 AM

...Who books a protest? Isn't that just a festival?

Some people call them homeless camps; some call them "DIY street parties". Protests take on a lot of different personas these days. But a rotten rose by any other name will smell as rank.

#92 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 12:53 PM

IMG_3357.jpg

IMG_3353.jpg

IMG_3389.jpg

IMG_3376.jpg

IMG_3395.jpg

IMG_3404.jpg

IMG_3408.jpg

IMG_3417.jpg

IMG_3420.jpg

IMG_3429.jpg

IMG_3432.jpg

IMG_3434.jpg

IMG_3437.jpg

IMG_3439.jpg

IMG_3447.jpg

IMG_3448.jpg

• Mike K., sebberry, Jill and 2 others like this

#93 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 03:36 PM

Wonderful photos, Bingo, thank you.
  • Bingo likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#94 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 03:45 PM

Unofficial results 118th Island Farms Victoria Day Parade 

Canadian marching bands 
 1 Spectrum
 2 Reynolds
 3 Burnaby North

American marching bands 
 1 Wenatchee High School
 2 Shorewood Thunderbird High School
 3 Aberdeen High School

Drum majors 
1st Aberdeen
2nd West Seattle
3rd Bellevue 

Cars Decorated commercial 
1st Mad Science Vancouver Island
2nd Accent Inns
3rd Pacific coastal airlines

Cars Decorated community 
1st Vancouver Island Seahawkers
2nd Dodds Furniture
3rd Victoria Chinese community 

Floats commercial
1st Galey Farms
2nd Aerial Roofing
3rd Country Grocer

Floats community 
1st Sequim Irrigation Festival
2nd Fiesta Latino
3rd War Amps 

American Drill Teams 
1st Shorewood High School 
2nd Aberdeen High School
3rd Sultan High School

CANADIAN Drill Teams
1st Reynolds High School
2nd Spectrum High School
3rd Burnaby High School

Performing Acts
1st Viva Mexico
2nd Experience Cycling
3rd Fiesta Latina Dancers

Walking Groups

1st Newcomers Club of Victoria
2nd Greater Victoria Scouts
3rd Victoria Gymnastics

Judges Overall Award Bands
Kingston Middle School 

Best Overall Entry
Canadian Coast Guard.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#95 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 07:00 AM

Kent School district won't let their high school come.  

http://www.seattleti...order-concerns/

Lame.  No kids has been left at the border.  Certainly no US kid.  Bunch of liberal teachers and administrators still sore about the election.  Funny how all the other 40 US schools are coming no problem!

#96 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 08:51 AM

Kent School district won't let their high school come.

http://www.seattleti...order-concerns/

Lame. No kids has been left at the border. Certainly no US kid. Bunch of liberal teachers and administrators still sore about the election. Funny how all the other 40 US schools are coming no problem!

Huh? The article you cite says was the school board's decision, not the teachers (whatever their politics may be)

From another article:

Loftis said the board based its decision, in part, on a 1982 Supreme Court case, Plyer v. Doe, which states that “denying undocumented school-age children a free and public education is unconstitutional.” Because of that, the Kent School District, with students who hail from more than 100 countries and who speak more than 135 languages, does not ask for or track students’ immigration status.

Read more here: http://www.theolympi...l#storylink=cpy

#97 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 08:58 AM

In other words they are just freely admitting that some of their students might not be eligible to cross the boarder as they used to be.

Nothing here to see... move along to the next liberal bashing/ slam.
  • Benezet likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#98 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 08:59 AM

^ and ^^ -  How are 40 other schools coming, despite being under that same 1982 law?  It should be easy.  You can come on the trip if you have sufficient documentation to get back in.  As the border agency says, nothing has changed this year, or in the 18 years Kent has been coming.  I'm sure they had "students who hail from more than 100 countries and who speak more than 135 languages" last year, and the year before, and the 16 years before that.  

Maybe back then Mexican kids did not go on the trip.  But they did not have a Trump to blame.

#99 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 09:08 AM

^ and ^^ - How are 40 other schools coming, despite being under that same 1982 law? It should be easy. You can come on the trip if you have sufficient documentation to get back in. As the border agency says, nothing has changed this year, or in the 18 years Kent has been coming. I'm sure they had "students who hail from more than 100 countries and who speak more than 135 languages" last year, and the year before, and the 16 years before that.

Maybe back then Mexican kids did not go on the trip. But they did not have a Trump to blame.

Because:

"In the past, students under 18 who did not have a valid passport traveled to and from Canada without incident, according to Monahan and other students who went on previous trips.

But when School Board member Russ Hanscom called the local U.S. Customs and Border Protection office this year, he was told there was a very high chance a student would be detained at the border if he or she lacked adequate documentation, Loftis, the district official, said.

#100 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 09:21 AM

Because:

"In the past, students under 18 who did not have a valid passport traveled to and from Canada without incident, according to Monahan and other students who went on previous trips.

But when School Board member Russ Hanscom called the local U.S. Customs and Border Protection office this year, he was told there was a very high chance a student would be detained at the border if he or she lacked adequate documentation, Loftis, the district official, said.

And...

That office, in an emailed statement, said the agency is willing to meet with school leaders to discuss the entry process.

“Immigration laws have not changed,” the statement said. “In accordance with the Immigration and Nationality Act, all travelers seeking to enter the United States must prove to the inspecting officer that they are legally entitled to enter the United States.”

Quite frankly if they had called the border last year, or any year of the last 17 they would have got the same answer.  For 17 years the exact same "school offcials" have been dealing with it, nothing has changed this year.  Quite frankly if you send your Honduran kid to Canada, you as a parent are stupid.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users