• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:40 AM

With the sun rising earlier in the morning, we start to see early AM boot camps sprouting up all over the City. For example, when I walk my dogs in the morning, certain mornings I see boot camp classes set up on the grass in front of the Lawn Bowling Club.

Now, let me be clear: I have no problem with entrepreneurial folks getting off their backsides and creating some business; especially in the fitness realm. But our City parks are not there to provide a free venue to make money, whose upkeep funded by our tax dollars.

I contacted the City and they told me that they weren't running any such program at that location; however, they were fairly useless in enforcing any bylaws, as this is something I pointed out to them last summer, as well.

I can't say I lay the blame entirely on the business owners. I'll bet what most of them do is move from park to park and then get all of their customers in on the joke that they all just conicidentally happen to be a bunch of friends who randomly got together with some fitness equipment for an unrelated series of morning workouts. And I'll bet the City is either not clear about permitting or does not allow it, aside for not-for-profits (does anyone have an idea? I check the City website, but...you know, it's awful).

I wonder why the City doesn't set up a permitting system, so those businesses pay their fair share for park use? Not something exorbitant: - a few hundred bucks a year - but something that allows first-come, first-serve use at parks all over the City. That allows businesses to continue using those venues while still contributing their fair share to park upkeep.

#2 jessief

jessief
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:24 AM

I can't comment too much about Victoria but I attend a boot camp in Saanich and I know our instructor has obtained a permit to have his boot camp in that particular park. Other boot camps show up from time to time and he will "boot" them out of our spot so to speak and they NEVER have a permit.

Also, CRD parks require a permit as well. I'm on the board with a non-profit that was running a birding course that had several field trips to CRD parks. They got wind of it and informed us that it was something like $30 per "tour" through a CRD park. We often help out with CRD research so we worked something out but they do require permits for any events (which I'm sure includes boot camps) in their parks.

#3 Lorne Carnes

Lorne Carnes
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 04:18 PM

Which Lawn Bowling Club?

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 04:42 PM

Victoria says pick up games etc. Are ok, anything organized requires a permit and $2m liability. I read that Friday, as I'm setting up some pick up soccer games.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 04:59 PM

Which Lawn Bowling Club?

Victoria Lawn Bowling Club in Beacon Hill Park (Cook Street @ Park Boulevard) - where the City's Parks yard us. The bootcamps set up in the grassy area near the playgrounds.

#6 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:00 PM

Victoria says pick up games etc. Are ok, anything organized requires a permit and $2m liability. I read that Friday, as I'm setting up some pick up soccer games.

How much is the permit?

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:05 PM

How much is the permit?

Not listed on site, but there are fees:

http://www.victoria....rts-fields.html
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users