Photo

Cheap Dim Sum?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 12:36 PM

The title says it all. Does anyone know of a place (preferable downtown) that offers cheap dim sum? I've been to that fancy up-stairs chinese restaurant in chinatown, but when a decent lunch runs you 20-30 bucks, that's just ridiculous. Maybe I was spoiled in Malaysia, but I've had a horrible craving for good affordable Dim Sum ever since. Anyone recomend anything?
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#2 Doc Sage

Doc Sage
  • 46 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 12:59 PM

$20 to $30 for lunch? WOW!!!! Glutenous rice in lotus leaf will set you back $5 to $6. A great lunch for me.

With a friend we shared 4 choices and this was under $20- for the two of us.

Doc Sage

#3 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 01:53 PM

Well, what I'm looking for is an alternative place in town that serves dim sum.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#4 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 02:00 PM

I tried the Don Mee's dim sum along with a bunch of dim sum afficianados. As I gnawed on a tasteless boiled chicken foot all I could think about was, "gee, I could go for a nice greasy plate of Foo Hong's chow mein."
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#5 mikedw

mikedw
  • 59 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 08:37 PM

I tried the Don Mee's dim sum along with a bunch of dim sum afficianados. As I gnawed on a tasteless boiled chicken foot all I could think about was, "gee, I could go for a nice greasy plate of Foo Hong's chow mein."

I love the Don Mee's dim sum but it can get pricey. And, some stuff is lousy value (e.g. the $6 crab claws). There used to be a place upstairs at Market Square and it was great (but long gone); there was another place up on high Fisgard (across from the Bay) and I would put that on the opposite end of the scale.

Loy Sing Co. (best BBQ pork in town) has a freezer case of cheap frozen dim sum.

Web developer & Internet Marketer

https://web321.co

#6 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 09:59 PM

Jade Fountain is good. Although I'm not well versed in dim sum, I've been the a few times and have enjoyed it. Price seemed reasonable.
(Wouldn't try the chicken's feet again though.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users