Photo

Commercial strata units + commercial properties, why such a high down payment?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:04 PM

I specialize in residential; however, from time to time I dabble in a bit of commercial.

Downpayment required is typically 35% from my experience, and the interest rate is around 5% or so (versus low 3% for residental)....for qualification lenders look at a lot of different factors on the property. Cap rate, terms of lease, is the buyer a landlord or will the buyer be running a business out of the property? etc., etc.

It really goes on a case by case basis. As Bob pointed out, commercial mortgage fees are pretty damn high. My old man is builder and when he needs to get commerical loans it is a pain.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#22 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:22 PM

Yeah, I'm not entirely certain, to be honest - it changes based on who you talk to at what bank. I know that when I was in a position to put down multiple 5% down payments, I was told that for investment properties it needed to be 35%, unless I already owned three.

Interesting. Looks like the lenders are being much more cautious these days. Had some colleagues that bought rental condos with 5% down years ago, CMHC insured. I guess they cracked down hard on rental condo lending.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users