Gorge Swim Fest - Gorge Waterway Action Society

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#41 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 11:34 PM

The old de-greaser trick eh?

If people would not over-grease in the first place, we would not have to clean up after the fact so much...

In 1922 you had to apply grease to squeeze into your swimming costume.

• sebberry likes this

#42 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 09:36 PM

VicHockeyFan, on 19 Dec 2015 - 5:38 PM, said:

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.GqNkH1JC.dpuf

Kerosene?  What are we, in 1922?

Could be jet fuel, jet A and A1 is basically kerosene.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#43 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 07:49 AM

✪  BREAKING: Today’s Gorge Swim Fest cancelled, due to sewage spill blamed on Esquimalt municipality

From Facebook:  2017 GORGE SWIM FEST
CANCELLED!

A major sewage spill into the Gorge Waterway occurred on Saturday and has caused the cancellation of the 2017 Gorge Swim Fest.  Coming from Esquimalt

MORE:

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 30 July 2017 - 07:49 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#44 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 10:33 AM

An incoming tide would push all the sewage from the derelict boats up the Gorge.

#45 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 04:37 PM

Facebook comment:

This just in Sunday pm from Esquimalt Councillor Beth Burton-Krahn:
Yesterday afternoon around 1pm on call public works staff received a call about odour-they alerted CRD and Esq and CRD staff met at the site- a boom was put out to contain any spill-a 
vactor truck was also dispatched to suck up any material that was trapped behind the downstream boom. CRD took water samples. Then later yesterday afternoon 4 more booms were placed -there is no evidence of raw sewage however there is odour concentrated above and below the culverts at Craigflower at this time. According to our public works dept there does not appear to be any breaks within the sanitary system at this time-the Prov Emergency Program and VIHA are also aware and PEP will notify VIHA if the area needs to be closed to the public. Many jurisdictions and dept are aware and working diligently to find out what has happened. Esquimalt Staff is the best source for information-not the media. What I have provided for you is a synopsis from staff. Thanks for your concern, I can assure you Esq Council and Staff take this situation very seriously.

Don't trust the media, only trust government!

https://www.facebook...481219448622119

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#46 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 04:35 AM

Swim cancelled

Saddened organizers of Sunday’s cancelled Gorge Swim Fest are hoping that as many as 1,000 would-be swimmers kept on land by unknown contamination will have a chance to take part in another mass swim in a couple of weeks.

For now, they’re waiting for Island Health test results from contamination samples taken from a creek under Craigflower Road that feeds into the Gorge Waterway.http://www.timescolo...ation-1.2148648

Map of Gorge Creek watershed

https://www.crd.bc.c...sfvrsn=c171ca_6

#47 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 10:03 AM

The contamination might be chemical runoff from the golf course.

#48 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,344 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 11:36 AM

coming up july 21

http://www.gorgeswim...swim-fest-date/

#49 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 528 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 12:06 PM

I would think that many more people would like to participate in the Swim but refuse to until the last derelict boats are gone. (Fecal material thrown overboard regularly)  Isitt is a proponent of the swim and perhaps needs to step up to have the remaining few boats removed.

#50 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 07:29 PM

^Or maybe have him dive in first.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#51 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,344 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 07:39 PM

does a boat or two of fecal matter really add that much? the ocean is full of animal fecal matter from birds seals fish and whatever else.

#52 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 08 July 2019 - 08:15 PM

does a boat or two of fecal matter really add that much? the ocean is full of animal fecal matter from birds seals fish and whatever else.

Fecal matter from humans is different.

And not just because humans are never considered as part of nature, I think it's to do with a non-raw food (e.g. processed) diet.  That also why dog crap is bad but horse crap is A-OK.

Also does bird, seal and fish feces harbor e-coli and the like?

Edited by DustMagnet, 08 July 2019 - 08:17 PM.

#53 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 08:55 PM

Also something in the gorge that looks like garden snakes I’ve had swim around me.

#54 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 09:54 PM

Fecal matter from humans is different.

And not just because humans are never considered as part of nature, I think it's to do with a non-raw food (e.g. processed) diet.  That also why dog crap is bad but horse crap is A-OK.

Also does bird, seal and fish feces harbor e-coli and the like?

I think horse v. dog is more about carnivore/herbivore than processed/natural.

#55 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 10:23 PM

I think horse v. dog is more about carnivore/herbivore than processed/natural.

My dog is on a vegan diet.

Edited by todd, 08 July 2019 - 10:24 PM.

#56 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 10:25 PM

Yeeeeeaaahhhh...well this story from 2012 would still give me pause about swimming in the Gorge because as is plainly evident at least as of seven years ago, no one municipal, provincial or federal agency apparently "really" knows for certain - lots of buck passing going on here:

https://focusonline.ca/node/432

Edited by AllseeingEye, 08 July 2019 - 10:26 PM.

• Mike K. likes this

#57 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,344 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 11:11 AM

More than 500 people are expected to take a dip Sunday at Banfield Park for the eighth annual Gorge Swim Fest.

The event celebrates the fact that the Gorge is clean after decades of pollution that left the waterway unsuitable for swimming.

https://www.timescol...fest-1.23891527

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 July 2019 - 11:11 AM.

#58 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,344 posts

Posted 25 July 2020 - 03:14 AM

“I don’t know how many times people can say it,” he said. “Some people heed the advice and for those people who don’t, the consequences are pretty evident.”

They aren’t just random accidents, Hurst said. There is a high probability that those who choose to jump off the cliffs will be seriously injured or killed. The cliffs, which are roughly 30 to 40 feet above the water – are slanted in a way that requires people to run and jump in order to clear the rocky ledges and shallow waters directly below. The issue is many people don’t jump far enough, or they simply fall straight down.

“You’re rolling the dice every time you jump off. I’ve seen broken backs, broken necks, drownings … brain matter coming out of a person’s head. If that’s not enough of a deterrent then … there’s no advice I can give you,” Hurst said.

https://www.vicnews....lake-accidents/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 July 2020 - 03:14 AM.

#59 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 25 July 2020 - 06:36 PM

“I don’t know how many times people can say it,” he said. “Some people heed the advice and for those people who don’t, the consequences are pretty evident.”

They aren’t just random accidents, Hurst said. There is a high probability that those who choose to jump off the cliffs will be seriously injured or killed. The cliffs, which are roughly 30 to 40 feet above the water – are slanted in a way that requires people to run and jump in order to clear the rocky ledges and shallow waters directly below. The issue is many people don’t jump far enough, or they simply fall straight down.

“You’re rolling the dice every time you jump off. I’ve seen broken backs, broken necks, drownings … brain matter coming out of a person’s head. If that’s not enough of a deterrent then … there’s no advice I can give you,” Hurst said.

https://www.vicnews....lake-accidents/

sadly people will continue to jump no matter how many times they are told it's dangerous, you could block it off but people will still go around.. though a sign showing stats, the amount of people injured in the last 5 years while jumping.. but again people will still continue to jump...

#60 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 25 July 2020 - 06:43 PM

It's called natural selection. I say let nature run its course.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users