BUILT
1008 Pandora
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1008 Pandora Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 6
1008 Pandora is a six-storey, mixed-use purpose-built rental and ground floor commercial building on Pandora A... (view full profile)
Learn more about 1008 Pandora on Citified.ca
Photo

[North Park] 1008 Pandora | Rentals; commercial | 6-storeys | Built - completed in 2019

Rental Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1984 replies to this topic

#21 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:24 PM

It is a very urban building in an area that is transitional, meaning an area between downtown and North Park's SFDs.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#22 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:33 PM

It would mean that Franklin Green would be one of the best urban parks in the city with all those eyes on it at all times. The city might have to mow the grass more often though.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#23 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:38 AM

Dale Bosa was very candid with some numbers about why this works for a rental, and why concrete doesn't. So towers would not work for rental, and they are not bullish on condos downtown selling for where they need them to be. He says for the kind of numbers they need, and the price of this land, it doesn't work. Near the water (Promontory) works, this doesn't.

They see rentals at "215"/sq. ft. as working. I presume this number was $2.15 per sq. ft. per month. Their research says that people will pay that for a nice suite with laundry d/w etc. - that's short (non-existent really) in town now for purpose-built rentals (outside of condo rentals). He pointed specifically to Hudson, where the units are not selling, but they rent well into $1350-1600 (even thought at that price it's still hurting Townline, having to rent them).

He only really spoke up (his brother Darryl was doing some of the talking prior) when some suggested moving more height to the Pandora side in exchange for less on the Mason side. But higher on Pandora would mean concrete, a no-work prospect.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#24 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:52 AM

It would mean that Franklin Green would be one of the best urban parks in the city with all those eyes on it at all times. The city might have to mow the grass more often though.

I agree. People were very defensive about FG at the meeting, but I'm not sure how this building would threaten it. It would certainly threaten night-time park activities, and that's all that's left keeping this park from being perfect.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#25 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:52 AM

what! No they can't tear the building down.. use it, integrate it. Why do we protect useless heritage walls and old decayed warehouses and shacks but not actual historic buildings like this?
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#26 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:55 AM

I didn't think they would be tearing down the school but I suppose the rendering doesn't account for it in any way. If that's their plan this won't fly.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#27 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:27 AM

The "tower" feature of the front of the school would be maintained, and a little courtyard at the SW corner would be too.

For the record, nobody at the meeting last night wishes the school be kept intact.

#28 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:02 AM

Why not? Does the neighbourhood generally dislike the design, or something?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#29 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:22 AM

Why not? Does the neighbourhood generally dislike the design, or something?

I'm not sure, I'm just saying at the meeting, nobody spoke up to keep the building, and two speakers said they didn't care to see any of it kept.

Keep in mind this is a preliminary goodwill visit by the developer, they'll have to call another more formal neighbourhood meeting(s) as part of the rezoning process. This meeting included just those that usually come out for NPNA monthly meetings.

#30 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:19 PM

I think it would be nice to save the existing school building, but what could it possibly be used for?

A colourful paint job could make it look stunning.

#31 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:47 PM

I think the facade could be incorporated into a new building without too much trouble. Seismically upgrading the whole building would be hard and expensive.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#32 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:25 PM

I thin kthis is probably true. I would like to see some other renderings regarding what they are doing with the tower.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#33 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:31 PM

Across the street from the hippie farm and a bunch of 100 year old sfd's? And tearing down a heritage school. People will be lying in the dirt to stop it.

The farm is at the very far end, and only half of it is directly across from this, and you know what, there are only 4 houses on Mason between the commercial building and Vancouver, and the furthest one east looks like it might fall over on its own on the next few years.

How about this, as part of the deal, widen Mason slightly, so it can be two-way, put a round-about at the end closest Vancouver so traffic coming in off Cook can turn around. Now you have made it so no traffic can come down it to go to the new building, so Mason stays quiet, or becomes quieter than now. Traffic to and from the new building will enter from the bit of Mason that will be left coming off Vancouver.

#34 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:52 PM

This quote from the NPNA November 2011 newsletter has me concerned about the attitude towards density in the area:

Any downside might be that heights of new buildings could be increased to 6 stories on Cook Street and 12 stories on Pandora...but without your input the maximum development likely will be sought and approved...In order to preserve the character of the neighbourhood we love we must be vigilant.

Vigilant really? As though even the possibilty of taller structures threaten the very fabric of existence in North Park? I am not comfortable with the message that increasing height is automatically a downside and I don't appreciate "my" neighbourhood association adopting this stance as its modus operandi. It looks like I might just have to get more involved; but the question remains will I be the lone voice crying in the wilderness?

#35 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:09 AM

This area acts as a good buffer between Downtown and the smaller residences of North Park and Hillside/Quadra.

However, Pandora Avenue is targeted for high-density mixed-use in the new Official Community Plan's Strategic Directions for North Park.

Strategic directions include:

Establish a high density mixed use area along Pandora avenue that responds to the surrounding skyline of visually prominent heritage landmarks.

I suspect "visually prominent heritage landmarks" is a politically correct way of saying "church steeples". Incorporating the St. Andrews tower would be the best way of obeying this suggestion.

#36 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:57 AM

Edited by HB, 18 November 2014 - 01:42 PM.

#37 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:08 AM

But the big question is, who would want to live at Pandora and Vancouver? The property overlooks the nexus of social services, drug peddling and their after effects. And indicators suggest that won't change any time soon.

Know it all.

#38 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:04 AM

Interview on CBC 90.5 right now.

#39 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:24 AM

She's saying people are concerned Mason St. will become a busy traffic corridor.
At least she's not sounding the panic button. No revelations or indications on how Gudgeon will play her cards on this one.
More opportunity to give input Sep. 6.

#40 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:52 AM

Any downside might be that heights of new buildings could be increased to 6 stories on Cook Street and 12 stories on Pandora.

That's funny, I'd say the ideal configuration would be something like the 834 on Pandora and 4-5 stories on the rest of the site.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users