Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#4641 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,897 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:00 PM

Nearly got taken down by an idiot doing about 50 on an escooter in the Pandora bike lane. He ran a red...there are no speed limits posted for the bike lanes...

A friend of mine was very nearly hit today by a cyclist at the mid-block crossing near the 750 Pandora project. Had she not been more swift-footed a nasty accident would have occurred. It was clear the person on the bike had no intention of slowing down, yet alone stopping to let pedestrians make their way across the street at the designated crosswalk.  :mad:

#4642 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:42 PM

A friend of mine was very nearly hit today by a cyclist at the mid-block crossing near the 750 Pandora project. Had she not been more swift-footed a nasty accident would have occurred. It was clear the person on the bike had no intention of slowing down, yet alone stopping to let pedestrians make their way across the street at the designated crosswalk.  :mad:

I crossed at mid-block today.  A cyclist stopped believe it or not, and the one behind him had to jam on the brakes, came to a skidding stop.  Was kind of funny.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4643 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 07:02 AM

A few weeks ago the news reported a similar accident in Vancouver, where one cyclist stopped and the one behind didn't. One was seriously injured, wasn't wearing a helmet. I haven't heard how they're doing.

#4644 aastra

aastra
  • 20,790 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 01:22 PM

For some reason some people regard separated bicycle lanes & paths as an opportunity to drift off into obliviousness. If a tree falls across a bicycle lane, will anybody stop? Just because you're not quite as exposed to bad interactions with motor vehicles doesn't mean you can go to sleep.

• Nparker likes this

#4645 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,516 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 July 2017 - 01:25 PM

Nearly got taken down by an idiot doing about 50 on an escooter in the Pandora bike lane. He ran a red. Right in front of cops.

So I walked over to the cops who all saw him (some turned their heads to follow him). Anything they can do? Nope. A cop on a bicycle pointed out he couldn't catch the guy on a bicycle. So I pointed to a parked cop car. He said there are no speed limits posted for the bike lanes. And that was that.

Interesting, hey?

Because clearly a reasonable speed limit on the bike lane would be an impediment to the free and safe travel of 8 to 80 year olds. 

• Nparker likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4646 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 01:36 PM

For some reason some people regard separated bicycle lanes & paths as an opportunity to drift off into obliviousness. If a tree falls across a bicycle lane, will anybody stop? Just because you're not quite as exposed to bad interactions with motor vehicles doesn't mean you can go to sleep.

I suspect it is just a bad habit manifesting in a worse situation. Cyclists are bad about stopping for crosswalks. When I drive, I stop for a crosswalk if any pedestrian is anywhere near it, and wait until it is completely clear before proceeding. When I cycle, I don't think twice about rolling (at a slower speed) through a crosswalk while a pedestrian is well on the other side of the street but still in the crosswalk. I think this is pretty common, and while technically wrong, not really a big deal.

In the separated bike path the space is pretty restricted. There isn't room for both a pedestrian and a bike at the same time, and the bikes really need to stop. They can't just "dodge" the pedestrians. Most of the cyclists will figure that out real quickly and change their habit and stop trying to roll through, and a few simply won't (just like some cars).

• RoadRunner likes this

#4647 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 04:39 PM

Just because you're not quite as exposed to bad interactions with motor vehicles doesn't mean you can go to sleep.

Drivers fall asleep while driving all the time, and it's the number one cause of people putting their car in the bushes.

I see people riding bikes with no hands steering all the time, and it's the 27th cause of people falling asleep while riding their bikes.

I blame it all on the traffic engineers.

#4648 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 09:55 PM

A few weeks ago the news reported a similar accident in Vancouver, where one cyclist stopped and the one behind didn't. One was seriously injured, wasn't wearing a helmet. I haven't heard how they're doing.

Researchers at St. Michael's Hospital in Toronto surveyed 111 homeless men and found that 45 percent of them had suffered at least one traumatic brain injury (or TBI) in their life, and 87 percent of those injuries occurred before they were homeless.

Hopefully he won't be trying to startup another tent city.

#4649 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 02 July 2017 - 06:56 AM

At the movies Friday night (Baby Driver, worth seeing if you like great driving scenes btw) came out around 9pm and saw the Mayor riding her bike downtown.....on Yates not Pandora ....go figure 

#4650 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,516 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 July 2017 - 07:24 AM

Seemingly endless line of cars heading out of town last night in front of my place.  Handful of bikes. 

• VicHockeyFan likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4651 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 07:42 AM

At the movies Friday night (Baby Driver, worth seeing if you like great driving scenes btw) came out around 9pm and saw the Mayor riding her bike downtown.....on Yates not Pandora ....go figure 

I went and saw that too.  I dunno, it was alright, but hardly worth its 97% R Tomatoes rating.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4652 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 11:15 AM

Probably lost.

• rjag likes this

#4653 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 12:28 PM

saw the Mayor riding her bike downtown.....on Yates not Pandora ....go figure 

maybe she's testing the idea of adding bike lanes to Yates next after fort street, because, you know, every main street needs a bike lane or two on it and less parking

• Nparker, rjag and sebberry like this

#4654 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 06:09 PM

This is what Victoria needs lots of

#4655 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,897 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 06:42 PM

One small amendment...

no bikes.jpg

• rjag, sebberry and A Girl is No one like this

#4656 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 06 July 2017 - 08:02 PM

Drove Pandora today from my meeting at Cook and View to avoid the single lane congestion on Yates and got stuck in single lane congestion on Pandora between Blanshard and Douglas. they claimed a full lane for the 2 way bike lane due to the construction going on...fair enough but they also had 2 flaggers standing around totally bored to death to help cyclists navigate the fact that a temp lane had been created for them complete with a million cones....and even then with 2 flaggers no right turns at all onto Douglas so had to turn at Government, that took 4 lights as it barely allows 3 cars through at a time.

I totally get the lane being used for bikes and had no problem but seriously if there are flaggers there why cant vehicles turn right under controlled circumstances?

Congestion is definitely the new mantra of this city council  

• Nparker, sebberry and Hotel Mike like this

#4657 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:07 AM

This is what Victoria needs lots of

I love that this picture clearly shows a jeep parked on the trail, partially or completely blocking it.

• shoeflack and Kungsberg like this

#4658 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:47 AM

I love that this picture clearly shows a jeep parked on the trail, partially or completely blocking it.

Yes, I think we need some of these signs around the city also:

NY+bike+lane+sign.JPG

• Coreyburger likes this

#4659 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,897 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 10:09 AM

Once again I had to dodge a cyclist near Pandora. This time the person on the bike was ignoring the luxury bike lanes in favour of riding on the sidewalk.  :mad:

#4660 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 12:11 PM

Drove Pandora today from my meeting at Cook and View to avoid the single lane congestion on Yates and got stuck in single lane congestion on Pandora between Blanshard and Douglas. they claimed a full lane for the 2 way bike lane due to the construction going on...fair enough but they also had 2 flaggers standing around totally bored to death to help cyclists navigate the fact that a temp lane had been created for them complete with a million cones....and even then with 2 flaggers no right turns at all onto Douglas so had to turn at Government, that took 4 lights as it barely allows 3 cars through at a time.

I totally get the lane being used for bikes and had no problem but seriously if there are flaggers there why cant vehicles turn right under controlled circumstances?

Congestion is definitely the new mantra of this city council  

It's related to the storm water utility hook up for 1515 Douglas occurring this month (see below).

No right-hand turn at all because there's only the single lane, and right-hand turners would block off the entire single lane for those wanting to go straight through. Just one more block to make your right turn.

As the impact is related to a new building development (= density & 'vibrancy'), one would have thought there'd be plenty of tolerance and understanding for any (very short term) inconvenience, especially in a forum headed up with the title 'Vibrant Victoria'.  

Attached Images

• 1515 Douglas.jpg

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users