Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11043 replies to this topic

#7001 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,922 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 08:35 AM

One my co-workers and her husband, live in View Royal and use the GG for their daily commute.

#7002 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,701 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 08:48 AM

Right, and in View Royal there have been 118-units built along Watkiss Way and at Eagle Creek Village, plus the Coho project's second phase completed in late 2015 with 44-units (but that's going on three years now).

Add to that quite a number of single-family infill development and you've got another two or three dozen which puts us up to around 300-units of housing within the last two years in Vic West and View Royal, not including a number of buildings in Burnside-Gorge, Uptown and the rest of the West Shore.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7003 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,517 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 August 2018 - 09:12 AM

There were 39,000 cycling trips over this Saanich bike crossing in July

By Myles Sauer - August 16, 2018

borden-street-lane.jpg

The District of Saanich recorded 39,000 cyclists at the Borden Street crossing in July.

Saanich cyclists proved last month that if you build it, they will come, as 39,000 riders passed through the bike crossing at Borden Street in July.

That marks the highest number of crossings to date, and is 5,000 more than the number of crossings in July 2017...

http://victoriabuzz....bike-lane-july/

That intersection is a bit of a pain now.  Heading East on McKenzie stuck behind someone who wants to turn right onto Borden - nobody can turn when the light is red, and for half the time McKenzie is green people are still stuck waiting for peds and cyclists.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#7004 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 09:17 AM

Sure there have, many hundreds of units have been built within several minutes of the Goose, particularly on the West Shore. In Vic West alone The Railyards has added about a 100-units over the last two years.

I'm also surprised by how many people living in the Happy Valley area commute downtown by bicycle. And why not? The trail is at their doorstep.

Railyards yes, but very few people ride all the way from Happy Valley. I would love it if the CRD would publish their other counters on the trails. They are crappy tech that misses about 30% of all traffic during busy times, but most have been in place in 2008/09.

#7005 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 10:47 AM

The Tour de Victoria went off nicely this weekend. The new shorter distances brought out a lot of casual cyclists to join in which was pretty awesome. Seemed like a good turnout and everyone (myself included) had a great time. 

#7006 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 20 August 2018 - 12:14 PM

^ And perfect weather!  The smoke cleared for that one day...

• Danma likes this

#7007 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 01:24 PM

^ And perfect weather!  The smoke cleared for that one day...

Yep, had no trouble cycling Saturday. Worried about my ride home today, might call for a ride if it gets much worse...

#7008 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 02:49 PM

Yep, had no trouble cycling Saturday. Worried about my ride home today, might call for a ride if it gets much worse...

Today is actually the first time ever* that Victoria has had Air Quality Health Index above 10. Impressive, but not in a good way.

* ever being since 2008 when the index was introduced

#7009 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 20 August 2018 - 03:39 PM

And Sunday we rode to Shawnigan Lake via The Great Trail (Galloping Goose/Sooke Wilderness Trail/Cowichan Valley Trail) which was a) not much of a "recovery" ride and b) smoky again. 

#7010 blazer

blazer
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 02:52 PM

Looks like the Canadian Federation of the Blind is preparing to launch a GoFundMe campaign to challenge the dangerous bike lane design in town. Anyone know more as to what the city can do to address this problem?

https://www.gofundme.../cfb-bike-lanes

• rjag likes this

#7011 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,701 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 07:40 AM

Looks like the Canadian Federation of the Blind is preparing to launch a GoFundMe campaign to challenge the dangerous bike lane design in town. Anyone know more as to what the city can do to address this problem?

Oh wow, thanks for that.

And welcome to VV!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7012 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 08:04 AM

just off the top of my head I can think of have any cross walks across the lanes with either red lights or those flashing yellow ones requiring the bikes to stop (and have a sound queue like most crosswalks in the city so the blind know when to cross (there's probably something better though). 

#7013 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 08:49 AM

^I don't know why you need thousands of dollars to solve this problem. All the blind person has to do is pause a second at the edge of the path with the big white cane poking out a bit into the lane. Even high-speed cyclists would see this and understand what's happening and have plenty of time to stop. 

#7014 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 08:53 AM

^I don't know why you need thousands of dollars to solve this problem. All the blind person has to do is pause a second at the edge of the path with the big white cane poking out a bit into the lane. Even high-speed cyclists would see this and understand what's happening and have plenty of time to stop.

Yeah the only thing worse than all the money spent on these bike lanes would be spending even more money to "fix" them
  • SamCB likes this

#7015 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:04 AM

Can they move the bus stops to the other side of the street?

edit: on 1-way streets this might be feasible. obviously not on Wharf...

Edited by SamCB, 22 August 2018 - 09:04 AM.

#7016 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,922 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:05 AM

...Even high-speed cyclists would see this and understand what's happening and have plenty of time to stop. 

But would they stop? Currently, high-speed cyclists can clearly see pedestrians waiting to cross, but many choose not to stop for them.

#7017 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:12 AM

But would they stop? Currently, high-speed cyclists can clearly see pedestrians waiting to cross, but many choose not to stop for them.

The person would slowly introduce the cane until it's halfway into the lane. It's the exact technique you use when you're driving and you're entering a street full of parked cars from a driveway and you can't get a good view of traffic. You nose out slowly and traffic has to stop for you.

It requires a bit of faith on the part of the blind person, yes.

#7018 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,922 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:16 AM

...It requires a bit of faith on the part of the blind person, yes.

Blind faith - huh? I am sighted and I have little-to-no faith that cyclists will stop to let me cross the bike lines. At least blind people wouldn't have to see the dirty looks I get when I dare interrupt the flow of cycling traffic.

#7019 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:33 AM

Blind faith - huh? I am sighted and I have little-to-no faith that cyclists will stop to let me cross the bike lines. At least blind people wouldn't have to see the dirty looks I get when I dare interrupt the flow of cycling traffic.

Rest assured, based on my observations, many cyclists are capable of vocalizing their displeasure in a manner that can be enjoyed by both sighted and unsighted pedestrians. (Just as motorists and pedestrians can and do). Many employee a simple 2-word expression that indicates "I am not entirely happy with your navigational choices." :)
  • Nparker likes this

#7020 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 10:22 AM

Can they move the bus stops to the other side of the street?
edit: on 1-way streets this might be feasible. obviously not on Wharf...

The doors are on the wrong side though. If the stops were on the other side of the road people would have to get off into the road then walk around the bus which probably isn't safer.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users