Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#9141 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 04:43 PM

Ever since the city blocked off Humboldt from the five-way the vehicle traffic is much lower. Plus there’s a near perfect road parallel to it less than 100 m away

#9142 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,821 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 05:30 PM

In other words the traffic was just diverted to another road.

#9143 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 06:53 AM

Question from someone who doesn't know the area: Why would someone have driven on Humboldt over Fairfield in the first place? Looking on Google Street View (the pictures are from before the intersection was blocked off) the road was already fairly narrow after Blanshard and after Quadra it looks entirely residential (and gets even more narrow, in the pictures it's already basically single lane due to the dumpsters and parking and there isn't even bike lanes). Then it just ends at Vancouver. The only reason I can think of is if your start or destination is on Humboldt but considering only a couple blocked actually have things that might attract people I don't see why that many people would use it as their main route over Fairfield. To me it would be like going to Jubilee hospital from downtown and using View instead of Fort. I'm sure someone does it but I doubt enough that if that was no longer an option Fort would really notice it.

• Brantastic likes this

#9144 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 07:06 AM

A good deal of the traffic on that block is entering the Parkside hotel complex. It's a lightly trafficked street. The odds of two cars simultaneously passing a bike are slim.

In practical terms, the new situation is basically the same as it ever was. It's just with the new lines, the car is now the intruder instead of the bikes. But the passing situation is the same.

But I do not know why the bikes need the same speed humps as the cars. 

• Cats4Hire and Brantastic like this

#9145 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 07:26 AM

We don't often drive down Humboldt to get to James Bay from our place, but we certainly use it coming home. My husband often goes over to Fisherman's Wharf to buy crab, we drive to James Bay and go for walks etc. Coming back along Humboldt is pleasant and convenient.

With Richardson St. about to be buggered up, even more traffic will be on Fairfield, now Humboldt traffic too? Poor old Fairfield Road! They'd better put in an advance green when you're  turning left from Fairfield north onto Cook.

Edited by mbjj, 17 July 2020 - 07:29 AM.

• Cats4Hire likes this

#9146 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,599 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 09:46 AM

A good deal of the traffic on that block is entering the Parkside hotel complex. It's a lightly trafficked street. The odds of two cars simultaneously passing a bike are slim.

In practical terms, the new situation is basically the same as it ever was. It's just with the new lines, the car is now the intruder instead of the bikes. But the passing situation is the same.

But I do not know why the bikes need the same speed humps as the cars.

How can we deduce that two travel lanes with capacity for bike lanes and street-side parking, being turned into a single travel lane with two bike lanes and street-side parking plus speed humps for cars and bikes, is the same as it ever was? Did we miss the two lanes being turned into one, and the street-wide humps?

Humboldt is as wide as Quadra, or Belleville, or Fairfield. There was no need to make it a single lane for vehicles.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9147 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,821 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 10:10 AM

...There was no need to make it a single lane for vehicles.

You're forgetting the need for social engineering.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#9148 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 11:20 AM

It was already very comfortable riding a bike there. I ride it just about every day and this makes no difference to me. I have already seen cars coming face to face. Manageable when there are open parking spots but im not sure how often this will be the case.

#9149 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,821 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 11:28 AM

Perhaps the CoV needs to ban parking on one or both sides of the street. Problem solved!  <_<

#9150 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 12:09 PM

Perhaps the CoV needs to ban parking on one or both sides of the street. Problem solved!  <_<

There is now a bulb to create the mid-block crosswalk which tightens the block making the parking good rather than having the bikes/cars pinch in the middle of the block.  The block does look tight but again, let's give the change a little time and see what's what.  Every stage of the bike lanes have drawn early ire and complaints and like any change takes a little time to settle in.  Certainly like with most changes, nothing is permanent.  Actually that similar to complaints.

#9151 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,821 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 12:16 PM

Every stage of the bike lanes have drawn early ire and complaints and like any change takes a little time to settle in.

Well, it's not like people were given any choice but to accept them, were they? I've accepted COVID-19, but that doesn't mean I like it.

Certainly like with most changes, nothing is permanent

So you're suggesting the changes to Richardson and the bike lanes in general aren't necessarily permanent?

#9152 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 12:19 PM

How can we deduce that two travel lanes with capacity for bike lanes and street-side parking, being turned into a single travel lane with two bike lanes and street-side parking plus speed humps for cars and bikes, is the same as it ever was? Did we miss the two lanes being turned into one, and the street-wide humps?

Humboldt is as wide as Quadra, or Belleville, or Fairfield. There was no need to make it a single lane for vehicles.

Because, before and after the change, traffic still behaved in the same way. Cars traveled down more or less the centre of the road and moved to the right to make way for oncoming traffic. 

#9153 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 12:20 PM

Well, it's not like people were given any choice but to accept them, were they? I've accepted COVID-19, but that doesn't mean I like it.

So you're suggesting the changes to Richardson and the bike lanes in general aren't necessarily permanent?

Well I wouldn't think that anything is permanent, I guess some more than others.  If there is a crazy flaw where there are safety issues or something cause obvious consternation then things can be changed.  Typically things are planned out quite a bit so for the most part do not need to be changed much, but you do see adjustments all the time.  Better signage when things aren't clear, extra education and alterations do happen, maybe not initially based on people not liking something as individuals.

Edited by Ismo07, 17 July 2020 - 12:21 PM.

• Brayvehart likes this

#9154 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,821 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 12:23 PM

Better signage when things aren't clear, extra education and alterations do happen...

How's that working in Beacon Hill Park?

#9155 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 12:56 PM

How's that working in Beacon Hill Park?

Referring to biking in BHP?  For the most part I think the signs and bollards have kept cars off the bike paths in BHP?

• Brayvehart likes this

#9156 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,821 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 01:04 PM

Referring to biking in BHP?...

I must have been referring to "biking" in BHP.  That's where signage has had little impact.  :whyme:

#9157 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 01:05 PM

I must have been referring to "biking" in BHP.  That's where signage has had little impact.  :whyme:

Well this is a bike lane thread so...

• Brayvehart and Cats4Hire like this

#9158 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,599 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 01:46 PM

Because, before and after the change, traffic still behaved in the same way. Cars traveled down more or less the centre of the road and moved to the right to make way for oncoming traffic.

Key differences being they “moved to the right,” and now “they pull over to the right.” Move vs stop.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9159 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 01:52 PM

^Upside down triangle means "yield", hexagon means "stop". You might want to tape that to your windshield for future reference.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#9160 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,599 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 01:58 PM

The yield is for bicycles, not oncoming vehicles. The intent is to keep traffic flowing but the CoV and lobbyists have drilled it into drivers not to enter the cycling lane. Now this street wants drivers to enter the cycling lane.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Corey Berger isn’t a fan of this thing for that reason alone.
  • rjag likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users