Photo

Pubs in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
509 replies to this topic

#21 Amanday

Amanday
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 03:23 PM

Martin's Place in Caboro Bay, across from Smuggler's Cove, has 10 cent wings on Monday but I am unable to state on how
good they are. Smuggler's also have wings on a different day.

Doc Sage

We went in there to try and get some about a month ago and they had SOLD OUT.. At 7pm. Lame.

We ended up at Smugglers, which has $0.25 or $0.30 cent wings on Mondays.

had some wings at Canoe the other day that were pretty tasty (but not cheap)

#22 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 03:25 PM

Weird, I thought I was the only one who didn't particulary like Swans because other reviews in other threads were more positive than not.

Spinnakers still makes good beer. Food, not so much.
  • Barrrister likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 03:40 PM

Spinakers used to have good food. What happened?

#24 Amanday

Amanday
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 03:47 PM

I used to love Swans. I still love their beer and a few of the servers there are fantastic, but I've had more than one occasion recently where the service was terrible, particularly the trainwreck that was my birthday party on Friday.

#25 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 03:47 PM

Management problems, I've been told.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#26 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 03:54 PM

My friend used to work at swans, the management have NO idea what they are doing, many hadn't managed a restaurant before, and their general plan is to put absolutely the fewest posible people on the floor as posible to save money. I also heard it's not just that the management is stupid, but that there's too many managers. It's like a university beurocracy up there.

The place is always packed, so untill people stop going there nothing will improve. They are making tons of money, why change?

People vote with their wallets, and for all the *****ing everyone does about swans, they still vote, "don't change anything, it's perfect!!".

That's why I don't go there. Wish there was another downtown alternative for a place like swans. Just.. a nice pub that isn't an anoying sports bar full of loud SUV driving businessmen, or a club full of horrible teens.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#27 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 05:12 PM

^Gherrigs Head is a great alternative, as is Doubles (Exec House hotel).

In fact, I bet most people have never been to Doubles.

Know it all.

#28 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 05:34 PM

^You mean Garrick's Head Pub? Sounds like you've already had a few! :)

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#29 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:23 PM

^Gherrigs Head is a great alternative, as is Doubles (Exec House hotel).

Garrick's Head will be a nice alternative as soon as they spend the 10,000 that they'd need to renovate it out of the 1980's and clean it.

I like it, but it should be renovated, and absolutely needs a thorough cleaning and re-upholstering. Unless that's been done relatively recently...

#30 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:33 PM

^That's called "authentic character". You pay extra for that.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#31 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:13 PM

^ Excactly. Big Bad John's does OK.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#32 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:42 PM

Garrick's has cool music.
Smiths, cult, cure, pavement, portishead, blur...all the old greats.

#33 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 10:16 PM

What portishead came and I missed it?

#34 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 11:12 PM

Sorry. Not live.
Just on some waitresses mix tape.

#35 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 11:26 PM

That would be one hell of a live bill, though. Even better than Helix, Headpins, Harlequin and Prism!

#36 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 11:27 PM

^^I asked once, it's a satellite station that's not shaw. I wish I could get it at home. Garricks is one of my favorite spots for a Guinness besides Matt MacNeil's pubs. I also like Smugler's Cove too, they have good wings.
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#37 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 07:51 AM

I had smuggler's cove wings last week and they were complete shite. I suspect they may be inconsistent there.

#38 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:50 AM

I lived at Doubles one winter a few years ago. I was back recently, and was kind of surprised it was still there. I hope the LRS license isn't for that space, even though I rarely end up there anymore...

#39 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:56 AM

I'm told the liquor store is going behind the elevators in what is now a storage room. The entrance will be in the little hallway just to the left of the entrance to Doubles, which won't be affected.

BTW, someone once told me Barts pub in the Executive House was originally a swimming pool.

#40 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 11:01 AM

I'm told the liquor store is going behind the elevators in what is now a storage room. The entrance will be in the little hallway just to the left of the entrance to Doubles, which won't be affected.

Cool! Although I don't go for martinis like I used to, it was always such a warm and comfortable place.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users