• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:37 AM

Has anyone noticed this year the proliferation of temporary traffic lights in Victoria? It started off with one in the southbound lane of Blanshard @ Yates Street. Currently, I know of two others: one at Blanshard @ Humboldt (pictured below) and another at Cook Street southbound at Yates.

I'm sure that this isn't the first time in the history of the City that they are replacing light standards, but this is probably the first time I have noticed them. Because they are placing the temporary traffic lights in the asphalt of the curb lane, thereby creating a merge squeeze point at the intersection - unneccessarily, I feel.

But even if it is necessary to place the temporary traffic lights in the lane, can anyone explain to me why they are there for months on end. For those of you who have noticed these, as well, I'm sure you know that I am not exaggerating. The one at Cook @ Yates has been there for multiple weeks, although up until recently, the lane was closed before Johnson because of the Mondrian build. The Blanshard @ Yates was up there for awhile and although it has only gone in recently, I would be surprised if the one on Blanshard @ Humboldt comes out before Christmas.

Is anyone familiar with why in the name of Allah they would a) Erect a temporary traffic light in the middle of a traffic lane, instead of on the sidewalk and b) Why they are there for so, so long?!

#2 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:56 AM

Wow, if putting a pole in the middle of a lane isn't a hazard I don't know what else is...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#3 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:11 PM

They likely figure they need to put it in the lane because they cannot easily (for a cost considered reasonable to them) create the pull down force required on the outside to cantilever the signs any farther (or they had some in stock they wanted to reuse).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users