Mainland BC road infrastructure

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#41 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:25 PM

Well, she announced a bridge today, to start in 2017. I guess technically you have not seen it yet though.

Which will probably cost $5 each way to cross... ;)
(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#42 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:27 PM

Well, she announced a bridge today, to start in 2017. I guess technically you have not seen it yet though.

Coincidentally, AFTER the next election! It starts already! :mad:

#43 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:11 AM

Which will probably cost $5 each way to cross... ;)

I was in Vancouver on the weekend, and I guess the chatter there was that it'll be $3-4 to cross the bridge, and people will be willing to pay that to get the ferries a bit faster.

#44 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:50 AM

I was in Vancouver on the weekend, and I guess the chatter there was that it'll be $3-4 to cross the bridge, and people will be willing to pay that to get the ferries a bit faster.

I doubt it will be that cheap. The Port Mann is $3 one way, serving a bigger market and a more important road corridor. There are easily 500,000 people within 10 km of that bridge and 150,000 crossing it every day.

OTOH, the Massey Tunnel currently sees an average vehicle load of 80,000 per day and there are less than 200,000 people within 10 km of the tunnel. If the replacement project will cost an estimated $3 billion when all is said and done, which is almost on par with the PMB project, but with a smaller "market" to pull from, the toll would reasonably be expected to be higher to earn the same revenue to pay off the bridge over the same period of time.

#45 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:57 AM

I've been reading a bit about this shopping centre lately.

http://www.vancitybu...hopping-centre/

That's quite a project.

It is not well known considering how it is tucked into a rural corner of Metro Vancouver – out of sight and mind from much of the region’s population. Last year, Tsawwassen First Nation overwhelmingly approved major deals to build two large shopping centres on band land near the Tsawwassen B.C. Ferries terminal. One of these malls will be similar to the size of Burnaby’s Metropolis at Metrotown.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#46 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:03 PM

but with a smaller "market" to pull from, the toll would reasonably be expected to be higher to earn the same revenue to pay off the bridge over the same period of time.

Bluefox, I think you may be forgetting that much of the traffic heading over the bridge will be either heading to or coming from the ferry, with drivers already grumbling about the cost of transportation. It's a bit of double indemnity to charge more for that route.
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#47 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:04 PM

Bluefox, I think you may be forgetting that much of the traffic heading over the bridge will be either heading to or coming from the ferry, with drivers already grumbling about the cost of transportation. It's a bit of double indemnity to charge more for that route.

I hear you; unfortunately, successive provincial governments have never listened to common sense. :P

The reality is the toll will be higher because they'll need to recoup the cost. I'm sure they'll phase in the tolls just like on the PMB as if to soften the blow. As for the megamall being built on TFN lands, I can see that increasing traffic, but not to Port Mann levels.

#48 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:30 PM

Massey Tunnel replacement project fails to win Metro Vancouver support

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#49 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:51 PM

I would say just build another tunnel beside the existing one and keep them both.

The part of the bridge that gets expensive are the approaches, if you need to build it high enough for freighters to pass under.

I suppose you could compare it to Victoria's bridge infrastructure project.

Is a new bridge justified?

As a taxpayer you have to look at where the steel comes from, the welds and all of that,

not to mention the folks who are going to trundle out the old "on time and on budget".

#50 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:06 PM

Ridiculous, the bridge is needed. The plan is for the bridge supports to go right where the tunnel exits are.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#51 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:09 PM

The province has absolutely no intention of cancelling this project, and they don't really care about what Metro Vancouver wants or doesn't want.

This is all about commerce and Deltaport, aiding commuters is just a side benefit. 

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#52 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:13 PM

This is all about commerce and Deltaport, aiding commuters is just a side benefit. 

Do we know how much Deltaport traffic goes into town this way?  I'm almost of the thought that if it's cargo destined for distribution to consumers in Greater Vancouver, it can wait for slower traffic times in the tunnel to go into town.

#53 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:15 PM

Truckers wait? I don't think so. They are mostly going to wholesalers distribution plants not directly to consumers.

#54 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:21 PM

Truckers wait? I don't think so. They are mostly going to wholesalers distribution plants not directly to consumers.

Oh, I agree.  But if it's stuff that is not heading to California, does it matter if it waits on the tarmac for any extra 6 hours, then goes into town at 11pm?  I dunno, maybe I have no idea.

It just seems to me that of all the stuff that comes into Deltaport, a tiny percentage is actually going into Vancouver via the tunnel.  A lot more is going to the US, the interior etc. and does not need the tunnel.

#55 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:31 PM

Oh, I agree.  But if it's stuff that is not heading to California, does it matter if it waits on the tarmac for any extra 6 hours, then goes into town at 11pm?  I dunno, maybe I have no idea.

It just seems to me that of all the stuff that comes into Deltaport, a tiny percentage is actually going into Vancouver via the tunnel.  A lot more is going to the US, the interior etc. and does not need the tunnel.

There is a lot of stuff going out to Deltaport as well though, it is not one way. If a trucker can make multiple trips in a day he is making money, the quicker they get the cans moving the better for them.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#56 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:37 PM

Isnt it also so they can dredge the river to make it deeper so larger container ships can go further up river?

#57 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:38 PM

^Oh yes, there is a tremendous amount of roadwork and infrastructure going in by New West for sure.

#58 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:59 PM

There is a lot of stuff going out to Deltaport as well though, it is not one way. If a trucker can make multiple trips in a day he is making money, the quicker they get the cans moving the better for them.

Yes, true.  I imagine very few Vancouver exporters have their loading dock moving stuff out at 1am.

#59 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 09:48 PM

The province has absolutely no intention of cancelling this project, and they don't really care about what Metro Vancouver wants or doesn't want.

True, but some of the new bridge bits might land in Deas Island park. What if Metro Vancouver refuses access to the park?

#60 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:15 AM

^They will for sure but at the same place where the tunnel is currently.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users